Search results

1. N

Tiny/Mini/Micro PC experiences

Anyone know if the new HP Elite Mini 800 G9 PCs that *don't* come with a Quadro still have a PCIe slot? I've been unable to find any disassembly videos or forum posts. The manual only shows a picture with the Quadro card, but those models seem to share the heatsink pipes. They're currently $800...
  2. N

Is it possible to swap ZIL vdevs on a ZFS pool?

So to confirm, removing the SSDs won't degrade the pool and cause data loss? Once I add the Optane drive, will the "degraded" status disappear? I assumed it would be fine *if* I were replacing l2arc, but messing with ZIL scares me.
  3. N

Is it possible to swap ZIL vdevs on a ZFS pool?

tl;dr I just got an Optane drive. I'm currently running 2 SSDs in mirror as ZIL, I want to remove them and use only the Optane drive as ZIL. How can I do this? My current setup is as follows: Xeon D-1541 8c/16t 64GB DDR4 ECC Registered 6x12TB drives in RAIDZ2 (72TB raw, 48TB usable) 1x512GB...
  4. N

Seeking advice on older hardware

Another thing to consider regarding size requirements is whether you want a rackmount chassis or a "desktop" case that supports lots of drives (Fractal Design Node series & R7, Silverstone, Lian Li). So it's not so much about picking a motherboard size (ATX, mATX, ITX) but more about the height...
  5. N

Seeking advice on older hardware

Ultimately it depends on the chassis you end up choosing. An Intel stock cooler would work for e.g. a NAS, but might have thermal issues if you're planning on doing more resource-intensive tasks like virtualization or utilizing containers (TrueNAS allows you to run Plex, for example). The...
  6. N

Asrockrack X470D4U and zen3 / Ryzen 5900X support

Are you running the latest, or close to the latest BIOS version? I have a GPU in one of the slots that I'm passing to a VM for media transcoding and I've had no issues whatsoever. I'm also passing a PCIe LSI card to a TrueNAS VM on the same host and I've had no issues. Do keep in mind that you...
  7. N

Do let know if/when you list the X570D4U-2L2T for sale. I am planning on integrating my main desktop into my Proxmox cluster and do a VFIO setup. My current board's IOMMU groups are terrible and the Xx70D4U fits the bill perfectly.
  8. N

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

Oh I just realized you're saying the server powers off. You mean it shuts down completely, correct? Not just the OS/IPMI being unresponsive, but you lose complete power on the system? @wojciii was saying his system is unresponsive but sounds like it's still running (as in fans are spinning...
  9. N

Proxmox VE 7.0 has been released

Did you only have to backup /etc/pve when doing fresh installs?
  10. N

Proxmox VE 7.0 has been released

Did you do an in-place upgrade from 6 to 7 or fresh installs? I'm curious because I've been holding off on upgrading my two hosts.
  11. N

Is that the temperature for the CPU itself or other components? There are several temperature readings in the IPMI console besides the CPU, how are those looking? Do you have adequate airflow/cooling in your setup? You're saying a cryptominer is crashing it. That sounds like possible thermal...
  12. N

Based on what I've been reading, it seems like system crashes are "common" on low airflow environments. The VRM on these boards are anemic and even though a 3600X CPU shouldn't really stress the system, it's possible that the OS (in conjunction with BIOS settings) might be ramping up performance...
  13. N

Cheap 16-core build with IPMI: what's possible currently?

I can't find a 3950X in stock on any of the big retailers (Amazon, Newegg, B&H, Walmart, Office Depot, Staples, etc). They're going for ~$500 USD used on eBay. That's not a bad deal for a 16c/32t CPU. I'm also finding X470D4U-2T boards for ~$240 on eBay. The most expensive part of this setup is...
  14. N

Are you selling X570 board because of issues or unneeded features? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth getting the X570D4U(-2L2T) or just going for the X470D4U for my 5900X. Really the only thing missing from what I can tell is PCIe4.0 support. I wish there was a proper breakdown of the...