Search results

1. O

Can SATA disks work with PCIe-only MCIO

Neither SAS nor SATA would work. A PCIe-only connector must connect to a PCIe device. Some have restrictions but in general you could adapt one of those to a PCIe or M.2 slot and put an HBA in it.
  2. O

[JP yahoo auctions] NOT SPECIFIC DEAL switches, firewalls, etc potentially cheap, shipping from JP unknown

Fun fact, their tracking and profiling was too hard to turn down a bit so if you are in the EEA or the UK you can't access that site anymore.
  3. O

ISP Nokia Fiber ONT and Local Vlans

VLANs are L2, what you are doing is L3. You need both, or, enough interfaces and hardware to just have multiple physical networks. VLANs only exist so you can have 1 physical network but multiple logical (virtual) networks. Those networks aren't IP-networks, just Ethernet networks. The ONT...
  4. O

Watchguard M390 replacement

We have about 700 PA devices still deployed in the field (including panorama instances), I'm not exactly new to it. Layer 7 'steering, routing' doesn't really exist, unless you mean load balancing. It doesn't exist because unless the protocol itself is routing or steering aware, those words...
  5. O

That's not true. "Proper" layer 7 is arbitrary at best anyway. If you want to do protocol-based analysis you can do that on OpnSense just fine. You can also do it without OpnSense on any bare FreeBSD or Linux install. This is not something special that only PA, Cisco etc. can do. The only true...
  6. O

The HA part strongly depends on what you're trying to achieve; I've had people wanting to do sticky sessions and Load Balancing via the firewall (I would not do that), but also client VPN connections (also not something I'd HA on the firewall - but running them on the firewall with a CARP IP is...
  7. O

It really depends on the specs (not hardware specs but firewalling and throughput specs). If you don't do anything fancy and just have some rules and some interfaces, you can get by with a C3000 era SoC. If you intend to do IPSec, OpenVPN, IPS etc. you'll want more CPU, more RAM and more modern...
  8. O

Dell EMC VEP 4600 high fan speed

Those RPMs are indeed normal, but they can be modified. It depends a bit on the controller used, but if they are visible on the SuperIO chip you can do it there, otherwise they are controlled via the CPLD which requires some I2C writes. Check with lm-sensors first, if you can read them that...
  9. O

Out of band remote control of a desktop pc?

Or you build whatever you want and plug in an AsRock PAUL card. Stock can vary, but they can be had for around $180 and does the same thing as on-board ASPEED: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/asrock-rack-paul-ipmi-card.30623/page-3
  10. O

Out of band remote control of a desktop pc?

Install a hypervisor and remote control the OS from there.
  11. O

Dell VEP/VMWare Edge/Velo Cloud SD-WAN/VeraCloud VEP1400/VEP1400-X firewall units

I think I have the I2C for that, it even has a PWM mode! Still have to dig the project back up before I can get back to it :rolleyes:
  12. O

Dell VEP/VMWare Edge/Velo Cloud SD-WAN/VeraCloud VEP1400/VEP1400-X firewall units

For the other devices, it could be useful to get the current versions so we know if it's "up to date" or "newer". The Dell DiagOS has the tools to get the versions, but it depends a little on which version you get. Generally, the firmware payloads are located inside the VeloCloud/SD-WAN disks...
  13. O

If you boot any Linux disto over USB and it stays on for more than the default watchdog timeout you can use commands like `lsblk` to find out what devices it knows about (you can also use dmesg to see what hardware it sees). There should be two internal devices, and they have multiple...
  14. O

All the NICs work, including the switch, it's more of an issue to set them up in your RC/boot scripts to have them mapped out correctly (both on BSD and Linux). Native support is still a bit better on BSD, but on either OS you can map the ethernet switched ports to individual VLANs, or Q-in-Q...
  15. O

Bare-metal, single node iSCSI SAN software with web-based UI that doesn't use ZFS, costs nothing and is actively developed

Quite a while ago I was looking for a similar thing for a project, and came to the conclusion that there simply isn't enough interest and engineering capacity for something like this. Almost all projects and implementations that have something to do with SAN or object storage systems instead of...
  16. O

Need Supermicro IPMI VGA socket, anyone has motherboard not working?

Maybe the X9 is old enough that the new port was a 'replacement' or introduction after the X9 was released, which could narrow down the search for ports that were available before the X9 introduction date. That should rule out a lot of newer port models.
  17. O

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Could be the lane width or generation in that case. The 6 port model does use lanes for the NIC chips that others can 'spend' on the mPCIe port. If the card insists on an x2 or x4 link and the slot can only do x1 for example, that would be an issue (a weird one tho). It's also possible it's not...
  18. O

Cheap Interesting Chinese 4x2.5g, 2x10G switch, (but also problems with DACs)

You can often get around these issues by connecting the grounds together so there is no more difference in ground potential between the two. (if it's not the DC-DC brownout or Realtek firmware issue)
  19. O

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

The card doesn't need drivers or firmware to be detected, basic PCIe detection has some universal primitives that work as long as the link can get established. It's possible that the card needs something that's not available on the mini PCIe slot, like a dedicated clock or interrupt line, some...