Search results

1. P

WD Ultrastar incessant 5 second seek

Interesting. Thanks for the info! I'd assumed that the k3s service was writing every 5 seconds, but perhaps it was just keeping it online and thus triggering the BMS. Hmmmm. Anyway, sdparm didn't work for me, but it looks like I might also be able to do this with smartctl (View topic - How to...
  2. P

Okay, I'll answer my own question here (truly I tried forever to figure it out before posting). Apparently it was the Kubernetes-based "Apps" service (k3s). I had no apps running, but I had set the pool to the big new data pool. Apparently the service was doing something to ping these drives. No...
  3. P

I have 12 14TB WD drives. 4 are shucked (used for a backup pool). 4 are WD Red Plus. 4 are "new" refurbished Ultrastar HC530's. I've just recently created a 8x RAIDz2 from the Reds & Ultrastars. All are in a DIY case with either a 8x SAS2308 or little 4x SATA card, though the symptoms occur...
  4. P

NAS "Downgrade" Advice

Those are pretty new. 8x14TB + 4x4TB. Going to upgrade the 4TB's soon. I keep a lot of media. Most is even legal. :D I've definitely been somewhat transfixed with the notion of an all-in-one for this, but, yeah, need to take off those blinders. What a funky board! Hmm. Yeah, if I get a...
  5. P

NAS "Downgrade" Advice

Thanks for the thoughts! * AMD v. Intel...thanks for the input. I wasn't aware that the idle power was significantly different between the two * Fans...including the CPU coolers, 13 total. 9 are low RPM Noctua. Consumption is < 1.2w each (far less for the smaller ones). So maybe 10W. Hard to...
  6. P

NAS "Downgrade" Advice

So not really a "downgrade", per se. But I'm OP at the moment. Literally. Idling at ~200w with drives spun down and BIOS power set to the most eco-possible modes. And I'd like to halve that if possible. Here's the minimums: 12 x SATA HDD 4 x NVMe SSD Extra SSD or NVMe for boot drive 1 x 10GBe...
  7. P

Cheap Interesting Chinese 4x2.5g, 2x10G switch, (but also problems with DACs)

For me, I was having it lose connectivity with one system (NUC 12th Gen Extreme) via a single Ethernet port. It would work for a minute or two and then just flake out. I had to completely disable the port in the OS and then re-enable it. And then repeat. At first I assumed it was the 6COM...
  8. P

Quiet SFP+ (and maybe sfp28) switch

I doubt any tier 1 enterprise switch will ever be quiet. There's also a "cheap" MikroTik if you don't mind 10G only: https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Router-Switch-317-1G-16S-RM/dp/B0747TC9DB For SFP28, here's a slightly cheaper option than the MikroTik CRS518 from QNAP...
  9. P

Cheap Interesting Chinese 4x2.5g, 2x10G switch, (but also problems with DACs)

I saw and bought one of these and THEN saw this post. Sigh. Looking to replace a potentially flaky QNAP QSW-2104-2S (same port config) with this flaky thing. :) Wonder if you have any update from the manufacturer or any updates on stability or performance. Thanks!!!
  10. P

In need of a simple 2.5G/10G switch

I've got the 2104-2S model. No problems that I'm aware of, but I'm not exactly taxing it. Unfortunately, I think QNAP have discontinued 2104 line. Leaving a BIG gap...as you have discovered. I think there's a few in stock at inflated prices, but nothing like the $160 I paid from B&H WAY back...
  11. P

Topton/KingNovy N5105 (2.5gbpsx4) + pfSense = poor 2.5gbps perf

Yeah, sorry. I know this seems to be a relatively common issue (didn't realize quite how common until my second post and my realization that it likely wasn't the N5105 box). I've tried implementing a few of the fixes (e.g., found and disabled Flow Control in Windows Mellanox driver, upgraded...
  12. P

More info. Looks like perhaps it may not have to do with the pfSense box. From a separate Linux server (10G DAC -> Switch -> 2.5G Ethernet), I'm getting: [ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 2.67 GBytes 2.29 Gbits/sec 21516 sender [ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 2.66 GBytes 2.29 Gbits/sec...
  13. P

Okay, pretty novice at this, but I've got one of the famous fanless AliExpress boxes up and running with pfSense. I'm connected to two WAN gateways (one at 2.5gbps) and have recently purchased and installed a MikroTik S+RJ10 into my MikroTik CRS328-24P-4S+RM (just rolls off the tongue, that...
  14. P

Supermicro X9DAi 3 of 8 RAM channels bad?

Funny. Those <$200 listings didn't exist 2-to-6 weeks ago. I think there must've been a run on those boards. Probably related to some kind of mining. I can't use the LN4F given the funky size and lack of V2 support, but even with the shipping that DRi listing you posted is a good deal. Thanks.
  15. P

Supermicro X9DAi 3 of 8 RAM channels bad?

So I just got this mobo from eBay. I'm already irked because the seller sold it as an "open box" X9DRI-F-O. Shipped a USED DAi in a box from the DRI completely flopping around in the box with no packaging or anti-static bag. So it's a workstation board...no IPMI...no VGA. BUT, I've been fighting...
  16. P

Intel S2600C0 Issues

Thanks again. I spent a long while examining the pins. Found one very bent one on socket 1 and got excited. Broke out the xacto and my super magnifying iPhone app and went to work. Got it straight. Sadly no change. Straightened a couple other slightly out of wack pins. No go. No obviously bad...
  17. P

Intel S2600C0 Issues

Thanks for the advice, y'all. I've tried it with 2 separate 8-pin CPU plugs from a Corsair RM 750. I've tried it with an EVGA 600 B1 (with just a single CPU connected). And, I've tried it with an EVGA GT 650 (with an 8-pin splitter). The latter is the one that is "working" on the 1/2 functional...
  18. P

Intel S2600C0 Issues

I THINK I was able to do a BIOS reset. Now I'm getting a 1-5-4-4 beep code which apparently is a "Power Control Fault" (Power unit sensors report soft power control failure offset). I love Intel-glish...
  19. P

Intel S2600C0 Issues

So I'm actually on my second of these LGA2011 boards from eBay. Both have issues. The original seems to work OK with 1 CPU, but doesn't post with CPU 2 installed. So I have 1/2 CPU's and 1/2 PCIe slots working. Woo hoo. Seller sent a replacement board which arrived today, and it won't post at...