Search results

1. G

Dell TL2000 LTO-7 drives stopped reading any tapes

Hey all, Again, no tape subforum so hopefully this is close enough. I have a TL2000 with 2 working drives, an LTO-5 and an LTO-4. Most of my tapes are LTO-5. I got a pair of LTO-7 drives with it, but the media was too expensive. So after updating the firmware and testing them both last year...
  2. G

SAS HDDs and tape on the same HBA, tape performance awful, good across network?

Hey folks. I had hoped that by connecting my tape drives directly to my NAS, I'd see fairly decent throughput for my backups. However, it seems the opposite is true: If connected to the same HBA, both LTO-4 and LTO-6 tapes seem to be limited to 35MB/s If connected to a separate machine across a...
  3. G

Adaptec ASR-78165 SAS controller - external tape libraries have single LUN and cause lockup in HBA mode (Linux)

Hi folks, I've had this issue now with two different types of tape library so I know it's the card. When connecting to a multi-LUN device (i.e. a tape library with robot), only the tape drive shows as a SCSI device. The robot is not visible. After a while, the entire card locks up and crashes...
  4. G

Problems with a Dell TL4000 SAS tape library + LTO drives

Hi folks. I don't see a dedicated Tape subforum so I guess this is the closest? I got my hands on a Dell TL4000 tape library - 48-slot, 4 drive slots (3 included) and 2 PSUs. The library itself seems to be working - diagnostics pass, the robot moves tapes around etc. I got into the web UI...
  5. G

Asus ASMB9-iKVM - how safe is it to update the firmware?

Hey folks, Tis the season so I bought myself a replacement iKVM module for my Asus P11C-i motherboard. Replacement, because I nuked the previous one by upgrading the firmware. Specifically, I fell into a variant of this problem...
  6. G

Issue with SAS setup in a U-NAS NSC-800, not the HBA, backplane?

Hey folks. A while back I asked for some advice on a SAS card for my ZFS NAS and had been running my setup contently for a few months. Back in September, it all went wrong. One of my Seagate Exos X12 drives was resilvered automatically, and exploring what was going on ultimately led to my entire...
  7. G

Internal and external SAS on the same card

Hey folks. New user but longtime home server admin. I'm running a small mini-ITX NAS using a U-NAS NSC-800 chassis. It's very cramped with very little room, and being ITX, only one PCIe slot. I've only used SATA disks in the past, but I got an extremely good deal on some large SAS disks, so I'm...