Search results

1. G

Dell TL2000 LTO-7 drives stopped reading any tapes

So, good news, I solved the immediate problem. Writing all 4TB of media to tape and reading it back on a separate machine worked perfectly. I spot-checked some files with MD5 checksums and they matched. Then the ITDT test passed. I was able to exchange the drive with the buyer and they tested it...
  2. G

Okay, so the replacement grabber allows it to load tapes. However, I then get a write error in ITDT: "MOUNT TAPE": { "START TIME": "Sun Feb 12 09:25:03.292 2023" , "DURATION": 60233 , "TEST RESULT": "PASSED" , "RESULT CODE": "OK" , "TARGET STATUS": "Status Good" , "HOST...
  3. G

Okay, so the grabbers are not cross-compatible but at least they're easy to tell apart without opening the drive: Up to LTO-4 uses the left design, with a large black plastic circle protruding from the casing. LTO-5 and on uses the right design, with a small black circle and a metal retaining...
  4. G

Now that's some valuable information, Stephan, thanks. So far my tapes don't seem to be damaged - I think the broken grabber fails to lock onto the pin, period, so the drive records no tension when it tries to load the tape (I stepped it through by hand and it didn't latch). I swear I tested...
  5. G

Figures, not a simple fix. Top is one of my faulty drives. Bottom is the LTO-7. The pin catcher in the bottom drive has broken. Wonder if I can transplant the intact one from the top drive...
  6. G

So, I removed the drive from the sled and plugged it into my PV114X chassis. This gives me power, SAS and even ethernet. However, in this guise, I simply cannot get a SAS connection. The Dell card and the drive show no link, even after rebooting both the server and the chassis. I think there's a...
  7. G

Hey all, Again, no tape subforum so hopefully this is close enough. I have a TL2000 with 2 working drives, an LTO-5 and an LTO-4. Most of my tapes are LTO-5. I got a pair of LTO-7 drives with it, but the media was too expensive. So after updating the firmware and testing them both last year...
  8. G

SAS HDDs and tape on the same HBA, tape performance awful, good across network?

Thanks both. I finally got around to trying this, and it's not encouraging. I have about 175GB of old videos to be written to tape so I fished out an LTO-2 tape and used my LTO-3 drive. No change to the block size: $ tar cvf /dev/st0 --index-file=/srv/home/gargravarr/Backups/T2-004.log...
  9. G

SAS HDDs and tape on the same HBA, tape performance awful, good across network?

Hey folks. I had hoped that by connecting my tape drives directly to my NAS, I'd see fairly decent throughput for my backups. However, it seems the opposite is true: If connected to the same HBA, both LTO-4 and LTO-6 tapes seem to be limited to 35MB/s If connected to a separate machine across a...
  10. G

Problems with a Dell TL4000 SAS tape library + LTO drives

It does? I didn't notice, but I took a video of it in action with the cover off, I'll have another look. Good if you have a full-size rack - mine is 18U and even that's bigger than I intended, I wanted 12U! I really need to reorganise mine and use more of the back face of the rack... Agreed on...
  11. G

Ah, on closer inspection I can see the 'Made in Germany' on the label of this drive that I thought was IBM: HP MSL LTO5 Ultrium Tape Drive BL540B/695111-001 | eBay It is a Superloader 3, and I actually found that exact article when I was looking for ways to get the magazines out without...
  12. G

Not saying you didn't! I mean the IBM label on the top of the drive itself. See the picture in this post. The white-label drives are out of the autoloader, while the black-label one is standalone. The label on the back of the sled near the data connector is consistently black in my drives, and...
  13. G

So, to share a few more things I've discovered recently through experimenting with my hardware: First, the robot error was due to the shelf above it (supporting one of my servers) being bent down far enough that the edge contacted the top shell roughly in the centre. The clearance must be...
  14. G

Internal and external SAS on the same card

Yeah, the card is stable in normal use despite the alarmingly high temperatures. I'd prefer one that ran cooler if possible though, due to the cramped case.
  15. G

Internal and external SAS on the same card

Hey folks, Reviving an older thread, but I'm running into issues. I bought the ASR-78165 and it works okay, aside from running quite seriously hot - I have an 80mm thin fan sitting on top but even then it's running around 80'C (though Arcconf says this is Normal...). The problem is that...
  16. G

Adaptec ASR-78165 SAS controller - external tape libraries have single LUN and cause lockup in HBA mode (Linux)

Hi folks, I've had this issue now with two different types of tape library so I know it's the card. When connecting to a multi-LUN device (i.e. a tape library with robot), only the tape drive shows as a SCSI device. The robot is not visible. After a while, the entire card locks up and crashes...
  17. G

That's correct, the SAS drives in my NAS are in a 6-disk Z2. The ASR-78615 is in HBA mode. I rebooted the NAS for kernel upgrades earlier today and I couldn't see anything in the RAID card config to do with multi-LUNs. I'll try it. That machine is enormously heavy so pulling it out of the rack...
  18. G

I only get the 'Drive logged out' message with the LTO-5 drive. The drives I got with the library tend to allow it to fully initialise. However, I'm now getting errors on the robot positioning...
  19. G

The exact model of the SAS card is an Adaptec ASR-78615. Unfortunately I don't really have the option of a different card because the NAS is an ITX one, so I only have the single expansion slot. Appreciate the offer but I'm not even in the same country, I'm in the UK!
  20. G

Well, further issues. This TL4000 keeps crashing the SAS card on my NAS. Initially I thought it was overheating - the fan had failed - but now I've replaced the fan, it still causes IO errors and locks up my zpool with minor kernel panics. I don't think this thing is ever going to work for me.