Search results

1. M

(Sold) Samsung PM863a 1.92TB (SATA) $150/BIN

Are they all gone? Where is the URL? Couldn't find them on e-bay. Thanks! Edit: See the "SOLD" in the title.
  2. M

810 Watt Cyberpower Pure Sine Wave

I use two of the 1500 pure sine UPSes where each one is dedicated to a power supply on the SC846. Like @Son of Homer said, this isn't glamorous but it works well enough. Would appreciate anyone telling me about flaws with this approach.
  3. M

SuperMicro IPMI BIOS Updating - License needed?

Ahh. Guess I don't know this part of the industry well. My work keeps me above the hardware level. Home is where I pretend to be like you all. :-)
  4. M

Another internal 8TB deal $179.00, Seagate this time.

I agree with @T_Minus. Seagate drives are "discus non grata" in my computer.
  5. M

Thanks, everyone, for the confirmation. It's unfortunate Supermicro doesn't make method #1 free. Why have customers order a BMC MAC-specific SFT-OOB-LIC license from an authorized vendor just to use a product? Sure, it's < $20 USD but that's my point.
  6. M

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but can anyone tell me two things about this process: 1. Does the IPMI-based (i.e. licensed) need a CPU installed to use this BIOS update method? [Support alluded to the answer being "no".] 2. Some people use DOS and a virtual disk via IPMI. I assume this *does*...
  7. M

SOLD! Supermicro X10SRH-CF MB (3)

Damn! Why am I late to these great deals? This is the board I've settled on (more or less) so if anyone has one to sell then send me a PM to discuss. Thanks!
  8. M

[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

WD has been good about it but they do make you jump through their hoops to confirm the failure. I hope/assume my experience is just a fluke. Good luck with your sale, too.
  9. M

[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

@CyberSkulls and @BLinux are making me feel like an amateur. My two WD Red Pro 4TB NAS drives (WD4001FFSX) both had to be RMA'ed. [1st: < 2 years old. 2nd: > 2 years (this week, actually).] Not feeling especially lucky with WD and the lack of a decent warranty on this is keeping me away. It...
  10. M

Choose E5-2680v4 / 2640v4 / 2620v4 ?

What prices are you finding for these processors? Specifically, the E5-2640 v4... Haven't priced CPUs and this is a bit of "sticker shock" for me. [Coming from the guy with dual L5640's.]
  11. M

FS: SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-7TP4F (Xeon D-1518) - SOLD

This was interesting. I was trying to justify dumping a working X8DTN+ with dual L5640 and 150 GB ECC for something like this. Downgrade? Perhaps but the reduced electricity draw and size are enticing. Glad @dicecca112 got it before me. :-)
  12. M

Xeon D-1541 MoBo w/SFP+ & HBA?

Thanks for the Newegg link. I'll have to put a watch on that page just to see what it sells for. The evidence suggests that an E5-26xx is a good way to go, too, so that's good. Off to check some stuff out... Thanks.
  13. M

Thanks, @Patrick, for the comments about the ASRock. That's great to know and nice to hear the feedback. Any suggestions on a E5-26oo V3/V4 board? There seems to be a wide swath of E5-2600 V3/V4 boards out there. Well, I guess it gets more narrow when I want onboard SFP+ and LSI xxxx. I've got...
  14. M

@IamSpartacus - Where'd you find that on the NewEgg pages? All I see is the variant with the RJ-45 but lacking the SFP+ ports. Also, I'd be *really* interested to hear your thoughts. I've got a dual Supermicro L5640 system that's decent but has some flaws (i.e. a broken SR-IOV chipset). I know...
  15. M

PigLover's playground

Thanks for the quick reply and thoughts about the switch and how it operates. The documentation wasn't clear (to me) about how it uses the 5G ports and their effect on XG3 and XG4. Thanks for the clarity!
  16. M

PigLover's playground

Apologies for bringing back this old/dead thread but I wanted to ask questions about the Cisco switch with several SFP[+] ports. Background I'm looking for a decent 10Gbe switch. Mostly, I see them with 2 SFP+ and 2 SFP ports. Ideal for me is: 24+ ports, PoE & PoE+ and 4 or more 10GBe (SFP+ or...
  17. M

FS: Clearing out inventory shelf

I just checked out your list and wanted to (respectfully) ask why you're getting rid of a lot of Ubiquiti gear? Upgrading or some technical problem?
  18. M

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

The Mikrotik brochure for the device says "PoE in: 8-30V on Ether1" but they don't mention any POE standard.
  19. M

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Unless I am mistaken, Amazon has the same Mikrotik for about $16 less from the same seller as your eBay link. I wish Ubiquiti would make something similar. I want a couple SFP+ and POE+ but I don't need their $800+ 48 port unit. Perhaps I've gotten too enamored with their controller software/GUI...
  20. M

Xeon D-1541 & SR-IOV (Need Help)

I have an X8DN+ board which has dual 82576 NICs that support virtual functions. What I did is as follows and it might not be the best or easiest but it seems to work. Your hardware is newer and probably doesn't have the quirks that mine does. My kernel command line is...