Search results

1. P

Amazon 8TB External Seagate Backup Drive $179.99

Well, I can tell you guys my story. I shucked 6 x 5TB SMR (shingle) drives from that Amazon Seagate Expansion External HDD deals back a year ago. I have been using these guys in both Illumos and BSD (Freenas) ZFS. I finally switched to Freenas 9.10 which has been running for about a year now...
  2. P

FreeNAS 9.10 Stable

I have been running it at work for lab/dev vmware infrastructure. No complaints here.
  3. P

ScaleIO Compute/Storage Cluster

where?
  4. P

Mellanox ConnectX-2 not supported on new OmniOS HCL

Btw, why do they make the transceivers removable? Why not just make it a permanent part of the card? You can't do anything without the transceiver anyway. I know they want vendor lock in but the cards can be branded in the first place. Maybe a card can use for single and multimode so the...
  5. P

Add intel branded transceiver, aroubd $30 bucks, which is supposedly required and you are up to around $70 bucks. I looked and most dual ports, card only, are around $130. And then you have to add 2 intel branded transceivers, it's more like $200. I'm buying for my work and saving a few bucks...
  6. P

Just pulled the trigger and got Intel X520-DA1 with Intel branded transceiver for $100 on the bay.
  7. P

Yeh, I spent some time yesterday searching and trying to get OmniOS (latest stable release) to see the ConnectX-2 card but no luck. Today, I tried the same card on FreeBSD 10.2 Release and got it working with a few modifications with regard to enabling the mlx4, mlxen drivers and loader.conf...
  8. P

I'd just installed the newly arrived ConnectX-2 MNPA19-XTR on a fresh OmniOS latest stable release and no luck! "prtconf -D" or "prtconf -D | grep ml" did not show anything Mellanox related. bummer! I'll play with it some more, but as of right now, it doesn't look good. On the other hand, my...
  9. P

Yeh, I really like Microsoft's S2D but don't see it being implemented widely due to first generation software, plus it's tilted toward Hyper-V. And the new licensing scheme doesn't help either. I will play with it for sure.
  10. P

The point of hyper-converge is huge cost saving and simple management but from my brief reading and googling, I don't see the big cost saving. For instance, Nutanix license and blessed hardware cost A LOT!
  11. P

It would be great if you can also disclose your thought process for why you chose ScaleIO instead of other Hyper-Converge solutions i.e. Nutanix, Ceph, vSAN, DataCore, ScaleComputing, Simplivity, etc
  12. P

@whitey, Well, if they removed the ConnnectX-2 support then doesn't it means that they have also removed the drivers? It would be great of @gea can jump in and shed some light.
  13. P

Very interested!
  14. P

10GB Performance issues

@Baddreams , Thank you the great piece of info!
  15. P

I had recently purchased several ConnectX-2 MNPA19-XTR 10GbE SFP+ NICs to be used on ZFS storage with OmniOS and Napp-It. Before I purchased them several weeks ago, I saw that they were on the OmniOS/IllumOS HCL but now they are not. I did some digging and some people did say that the...
  16. P

D-Link DGS 1510-28X Discussion Thread

Looking forward to the review! I got mine a week ago but have not powered it on yet...busy and waiting for 10Gb nics, transceivers, etc.
  17. P

10GB Performance issues

You just bought some 10GbE gear and what are you going to do with them if you go to 40GbE? You can send them to me. :) For sure, if you want to do 40GbE, it's plenty affordable. Do it! Maybe sell the gear you just got?
  18. P

10GB Performance issues

@alex1002, what the hell are you doing in your lab that requires 40GbE? :) If it was me, I would focus on what techno I want to learn / test and the minimum hardware that would allows me to do so.
  19. P

10GB Performance issues

Thank you for passing on the knowledge.
  20. P

10GB Performance issues

And note that you need PCIe 3.0. http://www.mellanox.com/page/products_dyn?product_family=127