Search results

1. EffrafaxOfWug

AMD EPYC Milan Idle Power Consumption

FWIW I don't think yes in an infinite loop will give much in the way of stressing the system - you're better off using a real-world util with a synthetic workload to make sure more than just a few instructions are used. For CPU and memory I like to use pxz (parallel xz) since it's on all our...
  2. EffrafaxOfWug

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

BIOS 4.20 is finally officially out (it seems beta BIOS 4.21 has been removed) featuring official support of the 5000 series and AGESA 1.2.0.0. BMC firmware 02.32.00 has also been released, with the ambiguous description of "enhance system compatibility".
  3. EffrafaxOfWug

MDADM RAID6 - unstable behavior

What are your RAID rebuild min/max speeds set to? I don't fully understand why it would freeze all IO unless there was something wrong, but if your rebuild speeds are set too high it's common to see regular IO get hit. effrafax@wug:~$ cat /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max 5000000 Parity RAID...
  4. EffrafaxOfWug

ASRock Rack BMC Fan Control?

That's a bit odd; ASRR don't make any mention of changes on their FAQ page (stupid JS so you need to find the section "How to modify the mainboard/system fan control?"). But it's certainly not the first time documentation might not have been in step with code. I assume you're using the 01.10.00...
  5. EffrafaxOfWug

InWin MS08 micro-ATX Server Mini-Tower

No idea from me I'm afraid - the drives I've had in this are the WD 10TB WD100EFAX and the Toshiba 10TB HDWG11A; TTBOMK neither of those support PWDIS. Doesn't PWDIS support require the SATA power plug though, rather than the molex used on this backplane, or am I mis-remembering?
  6. EffrafaxOfWug

Linux Hangs on Threadripper Pro

Alarm bells ring with the WRX80E-SAGE since it's an Asus board and IME their linux support is generally pretty poor. Hopefully it's a mis-print but their site only mentions support for Win 10 (not even the Server editions which is strange in itself). Do I understand correctly from what you say...
  7. EffrafaxOfWug

Norco 3x120mm PWM backplane

I'm still using the case (it's a local backup server), but although it resembles the Norco it's not the same; it's a rebadged/re-engineered version, possibly with a different fan wall to the one you're talking about. The fans themselves are in orange hot-swap cages that plug in to the PWM...
  8. EffrafaxOfWug

Norco 3x120mm PWM backplane

Yeah, each of those two pins corresponds to the tach/signal and PWM sense pins (3+4) on the PWM connector (I can't remember which off-hand but it's easy to tell from the circuit traces). I tried two configurations - one where all three sets of pins were joined (which resulted in confusing tach...
  9. EffrafaxOfWug

NAS Build: Xeon vs. EPYC 3000 vs. Ryzen

I think it's more than just a rumour thankfully - there was a roadmap slide I saw a few weeks ago showing the new embedded processors. The image in the article below seems to indicate they'll sit in a 65-120W power envelope but I suspect there'll still be low-power options available...
  10. EffrafaxOfWug

Supermicro X9 fan controll

At a guess then, the IPMI on your board supports setting the general fan mode but doesn't support setting duty cycles - unless there's another set of raw values for some X9s I don't know about. It's probably worth a support ticket to SM to verify.
  11. EffrafaxOfWug

I can't speak as to why the commands don't work - perhaps this mobo doesn't use the same X9 stanza as everything else? Do the regular read commands return valid info? # show fan mode ipmitool raw 0x30 0x45 0x00 # show cpu duty cycle ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x00 0x00
  12. EffrafaxOfWug

Most motherboards using IPMI don't have a separate fan controller to expose the fan settings back to the OS, so fan control won't be exposed through hwmon and only through IPMI itself. Since everyone seems to use a different fan control implementation in their IPMI OS, there's no standardised...
  13. EffrafaxOfWug

Nvidia/Youtube HDR Rant

I gave up watching youtube via the web several years back due to both the slowness of the web UI for non-chrome users and the constant bullshit that was going on with adverts and codecs; it seems like precious little has changed. These days if I want to watch a video I pipe it in to youtube-dl...
  14. EffrafaxOfWug

How to get the fastest possible write and read speeds on Linux?

For moving stuff to the "slow" storage, you're likely going to be limited by the maximum write speed of a single hard drive - even the best platter-based HDD is unlikely to get you more than ~200MB/s for large sequential writes, and if you're able to achieve that 24/7 (and I doubt you will be...
  15. EffrafaxOfWug

SAN target on linux

Assuming you mean server-side, I'm not aware of any special caching methodologies used by FIO but it's not something I've studied in any detail. At a guess I'd say the target would follow the usual caching semantics for the underlying block devices; there'll be some read caching but cached...
  16. EffrafaxOfWug

SAN target on linux

They've both been around for at least a decade so I'd consider them both quite mature certainly. My usual linux flavour, debian, doesn't seem to package SCST any more for whatever reason. Yes, the FIO stuff should allow you to present a target over iSCSI, FCoE or FC depending on what storage...
  17. EffrafaxOfWug

SAN target on linux

Possible I'm behind the times since it's been a while since I was at that particular coalface, but iSCSI and Fibre Channel are different protocols; one is basically SCSI over ethernet, the other is SCSI over fibre. The waters were muddied somewhat with FCoE (Fibre Channel over Ethernet), but...
  18. EffrafaxOfWug

SuperMicro fans won't stop revving

Pretty sure it was the NF-S12A's that gave me that particular problem; I think I've used the NF-F12's successfully although I just tend to avoid using Noctua fans with SuperMicro boards as a whole now. FWIW I've never had the same problem with any of my ASRR IPMI implementations, touch wood.
  19. EffrafaxOfWug

SuperMicro fans won't stop revving

Just be warned that I've had two SM motherboards with Noctua fans where the rpm actually dropped to 0, so the revving would happen regardless of whatever thresholds I set. Annoying, but seems to be a quirk of the SM IPMI combined with some of the Noctua fans.
  20. EffrafaxOfWug

storage gold rush?

A lot of the TBW ratings are going to be based on "average" usage patterns; random small writes are pretty much the worst-case scenario for SSDs due to the way NAND works - you have to do a read-modify-write on the entire NAND block which may be considerably larger than your average 4k...