Search results

1. E

Migrating from one brand of APs to another

@CJRoss Enable WPA2/3 mixed. If upgrading to AX, some older legacy devices will not connect to AX, even with 2.4GHz band set to non-AX mode. In that case, you may need to repurpose an older AP for those devices until you can replace them. Example, I had a 15+ year old HP printer that...
  2. E

Silencing APC SmartUPS SUA750 and SUA1500 on battery beeps?

I had an APC UPS continuously sounding tones. Replaced with OEM batteries. Waited for them to fully charge, but still would not silence the tones. Ordered a new unit from Amazon and took old unit to recycler. I think I got 15 years out of the old one with battery replacements every ~5...
  3. E

Review Request: Protectli Vault Pro 6600 series

@madowl 1. The VP6600 models look like they have two fans based on board photos. 2. Looks like it comes with a passive heat sink for a M.2 2280 SSD/NVMe 3. Protectli posts their own benchmarks, although the new VP6600 models have not been added yet...
  4. E

Review Request: Protectli Vault Pro 6600 series

Glad they kept the RJ45 COM port so I can connect my GPS receiver as a stratum 0 NTP source. https://github.com/elvisimprsntr/pfsense-ntp-gps I'll likely wait for the previous generation to show up on evilBay at a substantial discount.
  5. E

Bought it

@Sable Buy it and ship it to my house. I promise I will ship it to you. :D
  6. E

Bought it

I thought it has to be custom fit to your face.
  7. E

Server "closet" in small apartment?

Go vertical. Just make sure it is secured to the wall if you are concerned it will topple over if someone attempts to scale it while you are not looking. Personally, I use wire racks. Inexpensive Well ventilated You can pull it out easily to access/route wires if on casters You can hang...
  8. E

My network is a mess, how can I make it better?

@Octopuss Anything with Intel NICs, 8GB RAM, 32GB (min) SSD will likely run pfSense. Make sure it supports AES-NI for future proofing. Many of us in the US use the Protectli Vaults. You couldn't go wrong the Protectli Vault FW4C I keep a few used evilBay spares on hand for when friends...
  9. E

If pfSense is providing DHCP, DNS, and routing, your entire network will be inaccessible when pfSense is not running, as you have already discovered. You would have to move all those services to another box, so why not just install pfSense on its own dedicated low power appliance and call it a...
  10. E

@Octopuss Install pfSense on a dedicated low power Mini PC appliance. That way you won't loose internet when you take your server down. Seems to be the root of most of your frustration. https://protectli.com/ https://www.netgate.com/ Or if you like to gamble...
  11. E

@Octopuss What is the price of your sanity? Run pfSense on a bare metal appliance. You can pick up a used Protectli Vault off evilBay for $200 I like to keep my life less complicated by putting everything on the same sub-net and VLAN, but then I'm not running an enterprise network..
  12. E

UGREEN NASync

What exactly is UGOS Pro operating system? Proprietary closed source *nix? Makes no mention of virtualization/containerization or plug-ins.
  13. E

N100 small pc as router gets really hot to the touch

That's why it's called a firewall. It gets hot! :D I use mine as a coffee warmer. 50C core temps is nothing to be concerned about. Just make sure there is adequate ventilation around your appliance, i.e. don't put it in a cabinet or stack on top of something else radiating heat.
  14. E

Another kickstarter NAS project: UGREEN NAS might become a nice competitor for Synology and QNAP

1. Kickstarter funded vaporware. Strike 1. 2. Can't tell if it is HW or SW RAID, but at those price points it's likely not HW RAID. in either case it means it's not using ZFS. Strike 2. 3. Remote access. Strike 3.
  15. E

Install Proxmox VE 7/8 on QNAP intel x86 4-bay NAS box: Additional notes

I installed Proxmox VE on a QNAP TS-253A a few years ago. The linked instructions make it seem a lot harder than it really is. No different than installing any other OS on a x86_64 host. The more difficult part was migrating a Window Guest from TrueNAS to VE, but was successfully able to do...
  16. E

Recommendation for PfSense fanless appliance with QAT

Pick up a used Vault off evilBay with AESNI and call it done. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fw4b&_sacat=51168&_geositeid=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&_udhi=150.00&_sop=15&_svsrch=1
  17. E

Advice is appreciated.

1. Recommend pfSense. OpenWRT is good for what it does, keeping consumer routers out of landfills when the OEM stops supporting updates. 2. Recommend a dedicated Mini PC with Intel NICs (Realtek NICs are not well supported in FreeBSD) - A new or used (evilBay) appliance from Protectli: Trusted...
  18. E

Legacy ports and slots on modern mobo - why?

The only legacy port I require is a RS232 DE9 or RJ45 COM port so I can connect a Stratum 0 GPS+PPS source to my pfSense firewall. Less than 5 usec offset/jitter for less than $50 https://github.com/elvisimprsntr/pfsense-ntp-gps
  19. E

Ethernet over Coax or gigabit fibre adapter

Welcome! Tips: 1. Make sure you get bits vs Bytes units correct. 1 Byte = 8 bits 2. Some older legacy devices only support 100 mbps. 3. Make sure you are using Cat 5e or better cables everywhere. Options: 1. What year was the coax installed? Needs to be quad shielded RG-6 2. Ethernet over...
  20. E

Recommendation for MESH WIFI Access point only

I have three PoE wired back haul, enterprise class, dual band APs, all with the same SSID, but on different non-overlapping channels. Clients seemly switch bands and APs as I roam throughout my home. Added benefit is when updating firmware on one AP, clients never loose connectivity.