Search results

1. D

EXPIRED Am_Lightning Deal_TEROW 2.5G Ethernet Switch, Unmanaged 9-Port POE+ Switch, 8 x 2.5G Base-T & 1 x 10G SFP

Thanks, ordered the 4 x 2.5G Base-T & 2 x 10G SFP version for ~$35.
  2. D

Can I use the BPN-NVMe3-216N-S4 backplane with any SC216 chassis?

The backplane has Oculink x4 (SFF-8611) connectors, not slimsas. So no. As to why I want to use pcie switches vs direct attach, I think that's the same reason you use any kind of expander. I want some of my motherboard pcie slots for networking and other stuff. I also don't anticipate needing...
  3. D

I have a PEX8796, but the expander board it's on has proprietary (or sufficiently obscure) connectors so I'm not really sure if I can make use of it or not. If that doesn't work out for me, someone mentioned the Ceacent ANU28PE16 another thread before. That's a PEX8748. 16 lanes in, 32 lanes...
  4. D

Well I have an h12ssl, but if I can manage it, the 216 will just house the backplane, cooling, pcie switches, and huge number of cables it'll need. Guessing that will rule out gen4, but gen4 switches are pretty much impossible to get for a sane price right now. Maybe it's crazy, but I'm going...
  5. D

PCIE gen 4 on this would be pretty interesting if true. I wonder how challenging it would be to cool 24x gen 4 drives.
  6. D

It's probably a dumb idea but the plan right now is for this to be a JBOF with several PCIE switches in it and maybe a GPU or two depending on how efficiently I can tetris stuff around in the chassis. I've got a lot of work left to do, cables to test, etc. I'll make a separate thread about it if...
  7. D

Hard Disk Sentinel 5 Computer Family Pack $37 - Found a coupon site that works

I got it from here: Hard Disk Sentinel Standard Lifetime Giveaway I don't think it's a scam or malware. Edit: link doesn't work for me either. I hadn't tried it before tbh. Maybe they took it down.
  8. D

Hard Disk Sentinel 5 Computer Family Pack $37 - Found a coupon site that works

Apparently free license and never expires.
  9. D

Intel Optane 905P Series 960GB US$339

back again, today only again
  10. D

PCIe Gen 4 bifurcation risers and NVMe SSDs

It might be that you are losing too much signal at Gen4 without a retimer card. I assume that's why they asked if you tried forcing Gen3, since you have more leeway there.
  11. D

[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Very nice. This seller isn't offering a 1yr warranty on these (unlike the deal in the OP), but that probably doesn't matter to some people.
  12. D

Probably your easiest and cheapest option. Unless you just want to mess with HBAs and stuff for fun. SAS is nice for attaching dozens/hundreds of drives. Why did you want to use SAS drives anyway? Just price?
  13. D

Nice. I'd probably be on this, but my 14TB drives I ordered back in April have started to ship. I don't really *need* these right now.
  14. D

Do EPYC Milan CPUs even exist for sale?

No signature, just left at my door.
  15. D

I think it was about 2 weeks. I never got a shipping notice. In fact, they still showed it as unshipped for another couple weeks after I received it. There are other threads more focused on the HPE kits, e.g...
  16. D

Xeon/Threadripper/Epyc first server advice.

It sounds like you are describing a workstation, not a server. Not sure what you're going for here, but just fyi the 'p' variant cpus can only be used in a single-cpu configuration.
  17. D

It's spelled out in the same article you linked: The HPE supplied processors are not vendor locked.
  18. D

They cater more towards businesses, but anyone can order from them.