Search results

1. B

WTB: quantity 3 LSI 9400-8i8e cards ...

Let me know if you have any of these ... thanks.
  2. B

LSI 9400-8i8e/8i firmware selection: Mixed vs SAS/SATA

Hello, I am shifting from 9300 series cards into 9400 series cards and formerly I was given the choice of IT and IR firmware. I'm using these HBAs to connect to JBODs and running zfs so I was using the IT firmware, not doing any hardware RAID. With the 9400 series (P22 update) these options...
  3. B

Looking for LSI 9400-8i8e under any other name ? Even reflashed IT ?

What we actually need are LSI 9400-8i8e cards. They appear to be impossible to source - perhaps too old ? One option is to buy an OEM card - I think the lenovo 940-8i8e is the same part ? Is there also a Dell or adaptec version of this same card ? Is there another option ? If I overpay for...
  4. B

Am I making a mistake trying to standardize on LGA-4189 (supermicro x12dpi-nt6) ? Is it too old or too new ?

OK thank you - that is very helpful. I was afraid I was buying some older model that was discontinued and it would only get harder to source ... but it sounds like things will get easier and better as time goes by. Now if only I could find even one single LSI 9400-8i8e available, anywhere ...
  5. B

Am I making a mistake trying to standardize on LGA-4189 (supermicro x12dpi-nt6) ? Is it too old or too new ?

Spent a TON of time and energy researching and spec'ing ... and we decided that the perfect motherboard to roll out for the next few years would be: supermicro x12dpi-nt6 (3rd gen xeon - Dual Socket LGA-4189) ... but it's impossible to find. Some places *say* they have it but they are just...
  6. B

Where can I source Celestica JBODs other than IXSystems ?

We source our own drives and have our own QC/test procedures so it's just not an option. Just like supermicro: it wasn't enough to just be good at something and have a product everyone loved ... they needed to get cute and start selling "solutions" and "adding value" and "partnering" with us so...
  7. B

Where can I source Celestica JBODs other than IXSystems ?

You know that cute trick that every boring vendor eventually tries to pull ? Where they want to sell you "solutions" instead of parts ? IXSystems is pulling that now. They won't let us buy empty JBODs - they want to sell us hard drives at 50% premium. So anyway ... Where can I buy a...
  8. B

Help me choose the correct SC216 variant ... 2U / 26 drive Supermicro chassis ...

Oh, OK - so I don't want an expander at all, I want a SAS backplane with direct attach ... SFF-8087 I suppose ? OK, I see that this variant: 216BAC-R920LPB Has this backplane: BPN-SAS3-216A Does that sound correct to you ? Yes, think I will get 2x 16 port cards and save the pcie slot ...
  9. B

Help me choose the correct SC216 variant ... 2U / 26 drive Supermicro chassis ...

Hello, We would like a 2U chassis with the 24+2 drive slots. We also need 7x half-height low-profile slots. Finally, we are using plain old sata3 2.5" SSDs for ZFS L2ARC and SLOG, etc., so we need the ports to accept *both* SATA and SAS. So I THINK that the correct variant for us is...
  10. B

Do I need to move on from my X10DRH-iT deployments ?

We have deployed a lot of X10DRH-iT motherboards out in the world ... the things we like the most about this board are: - has a single onboard SFF-8087 that we can connect straight to backplane for first four drives - dual 10gb NICs with good FreeBSD (ix) driver support - 7 PCIe slots We are...