Search results

1. S

Death of enthusiast HEDT? Maybe not.

For cache friendly stuff, sure. Often not by much. For SpecIntRate (cache friendly) The 8124P is 76% (150 vs 195) as a 7950X despite having a base clock only 54% as fast. Adding 8 more cores with the 8224P (costing $155 more than the 7950X) wins with a score of 218. However for more memory...
  2. S

Death of enthusiast HEDT? Maybe not.

I've often wished desktop motherboards+CPUs (or parts within 1.5x in cost) had more memory channels, max memory and PCIe. Even something simple like a home NAS with 5 x SATA, 2x10G network, and 2 NVMe start to push the available PCIe lanes of an Ryzen system. Sure the Threadripper PRO 7955wx...
  3. S

Current linux-bench for STH reviews?

Thanks, I've tinkered with it, but was hoping for some overlap with the STH posted benchmarks for easy comparisons. My goal mainly being to compare cool little router/switches/firewalls using arm chips with the collection of STH reviewed J4125, J6413, N5096, N5105, and N6005. Geekbench5 isn't...
  4. S

Current linux-bench for STH reviews?

Anyone know if there's anything more current than GitHub - STH-Dev/linux-bench: STH Linux benchmarking script Looks like it was updated in 2017, but only to change the copywrite. I see reviews (like the new nuc 12 pro) that includes benchmarks for a Linux-4.4.2 compile, 7-zip compression...
  5. S

New Router Suggestions (Multi-Gig/10 GbE)

Looks pretty awesome. Seems like it's going to be years before home internet connections (at least in the USA) will be commonly above 2.5 Gbit. My plan is one of these, I'm waiting on servethehome to post their review, they had a two similar models reviewed, but without the Intel N6005...
  6. S

STH Forum RSS Feeds

For anyone looking the RSS feed for the main www.servethehome.com site is https://www.servethehome.com/feed/
  7. S

Single socket 12 bay SAS chassis?

Wow, I hit the jackpot, thank you *SO* much for your such a comprehensive answer. I've been buying SAS backplanes enabled chassis (mostly in 24 disks and 36 disk chassis) for years, and still didn't have the information you posted. I do need some redundant caching, so pondering 2 x M.2 vs NVMe...
  8. S

Looks nice, does have a 12 bay backplane, even with a 2x expander. The manual has a VERY limited list of compatible supermicro motherboards (2 Intel motherboard). Is a Supermicro single socket epyc board likely to fit? Be compatible with the power supply?
  9. S

Anyone seen a 2U or 3U chassis for a single socket Epyc chassis with a SAS backplane for 12 3.5" drives? Was hoping to build something with 6 drives (one ZFS vdev) and be able to add 6 later. Was hoping for a backplane so I could use a LSI 8i card and not have to worry about running cables to...