Search results

1. K

PCI SATA controllers and dummy unused ports on Linux

In case someone finds this thread, I think I found the answer here: AMD EPYC Server with Ubuntu - Enable SATA Hot-Swap - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki-en In short, set ahci.mobile_lpm_policy=1 on the kernel command line. I haven't verified this solution yet, though.
  2. K

Thoughts on building a silent home storage and virtualization hot swap tower server

I'm not seeing myself needing more storage space than I can fit in the cases I listed. I'm not really going for a Plex server or the like, just a general file and virtualization server. Maybe an embedded processor would suffice for my needs, and maybe I'm limiting my options too much by deciding...
  3. K

EU AMD EPYC 7551 - 295 GBP

But in what kind of chassis do you put a µATX mobo that supports up to 28 SATA disks and 2 NVMe or 12 SATA and 6 NVMe, or anything inbetween?
  4. K

Thoughts on building a silent home storage and virtualization hot swap tower server

Apparently I can simply buy this if I need to split such a connector into individual connectors that can be used with a non-Supermicro motherboard.
  5. K

Too bad you're on the wrong continent. Shipping it would probably cost several times the price.
  6. K

The listed models all have two rear 80 mm fans, though, but on the other hand the middle fans are 92 mm. They are also much more expensive, with 2 kW redundant PSUs. How did you do that? Could you also please tell me what the connection to the front panel looks like? If it's like the server we...
  7. K

I'm not sure what you meant to do differently. I think what you're thinking is exactly what I was thinking. Anyway, I tried booting with one empty bay unconnected, and it made no difference.
  8. K

I'd like to build a more powerful home server with hot swap. (What I have now is a Xeon E3-1226 (4c/4t) and 8 GiB RAM in a first generation Fractal Design Define. The reason that I have a separate server box in the first place is that I thought storing all documents on a server and accessing...
  9. K

I guess I could disconnect one of the empty bays, reboot, and see if that makes a difference.
  10. K

I'll include a bit more than just the lines in the absolute vicinity of the "DUMMY" ones. [ 2.833156] Block layer SCSI generic (bsg) driver version 0.4 loaded (major 247) [ 3.501413] SCSI subsystem initialized [ 3.509262] libata version 3.00 loaded. [ 3.578625] ahci 0000:c9:00.0...
  11. K

If you think there's any more information that could be relevant... Have a zip file. The forum system doesn't allow .gz.
  12. K

No, wait, all of ata5 through ata12 are connected to 45:00.0. ata13 is connected to 46:00.0, which is also an FCH SATA controller.
  13. K

Thanks for the reply! Well, I figured the DUMMY from dmesg had to come from ata_host_register() in libata-core.c, where it checks if ata_port_is_dummy(), which is an inline function that checks if the struct ata_port's ops points at a special ata_dummy_port_ops structure, and it's set that way...
  14. K

Hi! My workplace bought a Supermicro server with a H11SSW-NT (EPYC) motherboard a year ago, and there's a small annoyance that I've been trying to find the cause for ever since: When Linux boots up and initializes the AMD FCH SATA controller, any empty drive bay results in a DUMMY ata port...