Search results

1. D

Upgrade to 25GbE (Mellanox ConnectX-4)

@pixelwave, I'm debating doing this upgrade myself. What are you thinking in terms of 25Gbe switches? Do you have something already or are you researching? Would like a managed one for my home lab.
  2. D

QSFP28 to female SFP28 breakout: is there such a thing?

I like this option! I haven't played with patching with LC connectors (my runs are mostly end-to-end with no patching), but if it works well at the rated speeds for runs < 30m, then this could work! Any suggestions for what to use on the patch panel?
  3. D

Definitely not trying to do it over copper, but you make a good point: my searches may have limited me to copper breakouts.
  4. D

Thanks! I'm keeping an eye on that one as well, but it looks like it'll be more expensive. Well, if the breakout option ends up being costly, the CRS510 might make more sense.
  5. D

Sorry for my lack of knowledge of the terminology here. Here's an example of what I was calling "male" SFP28: Here's an example of the female SFP28 (these are present on switches and PCI cards):
  6. D

Thanks! This is very close to what I had in mind, although this one if QSFP+ to 4x SFP+ instead of QSFP28/SFP28. I would not need any "extender" functionality either so I'm hoping there's an inexpensive way of accomplishing that, hopefully.
  7. D

Hello all, I was thinking of getting a CRS504-4XQ-IN switch that has 4x 100G QSFP28 ports. I figured I would use a port to connect a second CRS504, 1 port connected to a server (ConnectX-4, most likely) and break out the last 2 ports into 8 SFP28 *cages* (the idea would be to distribute some...
  8. D

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Sorry for the confusion. I hadn't noticed that RJ45 <-> RJ45 cable was part of that list. Here's an example of the cable you'll need (that's the one I have): AmazonSmile: OIKWAN Console Cable,USB Console Cable, USB to RJ45 Console Cable with FTDI chip Compatible with Cisco...
  9. D

That's right. You'll be plugging the cable onto the RJ45 port on the right (closest to the 40Gbps ports, the one with the ones-and-zeroes label under it). Those console cables are going USB <-> RJ45. The USB portion has a USB-to-serial chip embedded in them with the correct wiring going to the...
  10. D

Also, while waiting for your 6610s, go grab a console cable, if you don't already have one. You'll need it. Take your pick: Amazon.com : console cable rj45
  11. D

We bought it from the same place . Just follow the guide (link in the OP). You'll need a console cable. No need for JTAG or anything else.
  12. D

Thank you, @fohdeesha for the info and @klui and @NablaSquaredG for asking some of the questions I had in my head :). Certainly not doubting any of your information, @fohdeesha, but there's enough I don't know I feel I need to ask more questions. If you couldn't tell, I'm a fiber newbie. Oh, and...
  13. D

Alright, got my 6610s recently and set them up, licensed them, etc (thanks @fohdeesha!). I would like to stack them if possible (bear with me) but I also want to connect a server and a workstation to one of them, both at 40gbps. Not finding a solution based on what I've seen so far. My...
  14. D

Question for the 6610 owners out there: The material here says the 6610 is 16" deep, no matter the number of ports. 1. Does that depth figure include the fan and power supply handles in the back, or is it just for the chassis itself (not including the handles)? 2. I noticed in one of the...
  15. D

Hello all, I'm another new member who joined in just because of this thread. Thank you for putting this together! Still going through all the info (there's a *lot* of stuff in here!) but I'm already seeing a 6610 and a 7150-48ZP in my future. It looks to me that folks are already providing...