Search results

1. N

Bhyve vs proxmox

Reporting back: being careful to setup everything right with the most current ProxMox on new hardware with a Ryzen 5700G and ZFS on root, it takes less than 0.1 second to create a linked clone of a virtual machine, as reported by Proxmox's task log. Size of the VM doesn't seem to matter...
  2. N

Bhyve vs proxmox

^^^ This. Also, Is that really true? If anything, I thought VMware was the basis for the modern cloud. Just my perception though. Not sure as to what the relative market shares actually are, or their evolution over time. I'd be interest to know though. Surely somewhere those percentages...
  3. N

Bhyve vs proxmox

Sharpening my language a bit, the TL;DR of my earlier post (above) is that TruNAS core creates "linked clones" rather than "full clones" when you press the clone button on your TruNas vm, and so I presume the same is true for BHyve. If you want to prove this to yourself, try creating a clone...
  4. N

Bhyve vs proxmox

OK, I think I'm closer now to having this figured out. I created a VM using the TruNAS Core (version TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1, which is the most current version) GUI, because TruNAS Core runs whatever ZFS that FreeBSD is using and because TruNAS Core uses bhyve as its hypervisor. I did it that way...
  5. N

Bhyve vs proxmox

I had thought they were different, but, yes, it looks as though FreeBSD and OpenZFS were merged together for the FreeBSD 13.0 release: OpenZFS Support Merged Into Mainline FreeBSD - Phoronix But since version 13.0 was released only recently, the comparison may have to be redone using that as...
  6. N

Bhyve vs proxmox

No, that can't be the reason: 1 second clone on FreeBSD Bhyve (as demonstrated in the video at time index 3:10) vs. about a 2 minute clone on proxmox. That's too great a disparity to be accounted for by a polling delay.
  7. N

Bhyve vs proxmox

Could it be that in FreeBSD the ZFS is somehow "native", whereas on ProxMox, the ZFS isn't "native"? AFAIK, ProxMox is running OpenZFS to get its ZFS. Maybe it's a limitation of the OpenZFS implementation of ZFS as compared to FreeBSD's implementation of ZFS?
  8. N

Bhyve vs proxmox

I'm fairly happy with ProxMox, but according to this youtube video: FreeBSD's Bhyve hypervisor can clone (or snapshot) a VM in less than a second--even if running on a 10 year old laptop computer--whereas ProxMox cannot (even if, as I have done, I install ZFS as the file system everywhere used...
  9. N

Thinking of trying unRaid

So, flexraid has a gui, but not snapraid (unless using openmediavault as the frontend)? Any other differences between those two that are worth mentioning?
  10. N

NAS Windows

Think about it: each disk has to go from not-spinning to spinning at its specified RPM. That takes energy. Once a disk is at its rated RPM, all it has to do to maintain that RPM is expend enough energy to overcome friction, which is considerably less.
  11. N

Which cases offer the best air circulation for 9 or more internal 3.5" hard drives?

By the way, I booted from DOS and used Western Digital's wdidle3 utility program to disable the setting. As predicted, it had been set at the factory to 8 seconds. I'm mentioning the wdidle3 program only because the linux equivalent from somebody else had so many warnings and disclaimers that...
  12. N

Security Camera Recording Question (ZFS RELATED)

Where is the insidious firmware that folks here are worried about coming from? The factory, or somewhere else in the delivery chain? If the factory firmware can be trusted, then I would think burning the latest release into the camera would eradicate any trojans or other bad stuff. Wouldn't...
  13. N

Which cases offer the best air circulation for 9 or more internal 3.5" hard drives?

I replaced the HX1050 PSU with an RM450 PSU. Now the the hottest temperature drive is just 31C with all the fans set on minimum. I didn't expect such a big drop, so it's a pleasant surprise. When idling with the new configuration, it consumes 66 watts. When all the drives are active, such as...
  14. N

Favorite Pedestal/Tower Enclosures: What's yours and why?

What I found included in the DS6 was an optional fan/radiator bracket that could be mounted against the drives on the inside of the case, making a total of four 140mm fans primarily devoted to cooling the drives. Does the DS5 come with a mounting bracket like that? When configured that way, I...
  15. N

NAS Windows

That is interesting. I notice, though, that it still has a very large opening at the rear, so I presume hard drive noise is still an issue? Maybe coming out the rear the noise would be reduced. I'm just curious by how much? Enough to be worthwhile?
  16. N

SuperBiiz & RETURNS

What if you use AMEX, but the transaction was via Paypal? Does the extended return window still work?
  17. N

Wow, something like that connected by heatpipes to the harddrives would be the ultimate home server chassis. The biggest challenges in the home environment seem to be heat and noise and, to some degree, space.
  18. N

NAS Windows

One thing that's nice about the pico psu design is that it keeps most of the psu heat outside of the case. The AC-to-DC brick emits most of the heat. The DC-to-DC power converter inside the case is very efficient, so its heat is minimal, and I'm guessing the 12v part is just passed through...
  19. N

Are there any tower cases that are totally sealed up for the purpose of further noise reduction but with perhaps a lot of fins or something to radiate heat using heat pipes or other means? I did see one small HTPC case that was rigged that way, but it wasn't a tower case.