Search results

1. S

Experiences with Arista 7050TX or equivalent

Hello all, I'm considering purchasing something like a Arista DCS-7050QX-32S-R 40GB QSFP+ 4x10G 3 Layer Switch for home use. I don't hae any experience with Arista but going by the specs this seems a reasonable way to have 40Gbe between the machines where I have qsfp cards and 10gbe for...
  2. S

Epyc 7b13 + supermicro motherboard

Hey all, I'm considering some upgrades and I spotted this on ebay: Supermicro H12SSL-i Motherboard, AMD EPYC 7B13 CPU 64 Core (OEM version of 7763) | eBay Now, the search term "7b13" only brings up a single hit on the entire forum and the contents of that thread seem to indicate that a 7b13...
  3. S

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Epyc 7453 (28C/56T)?

I've spotted this Epyc Milan in local pricing lists and I'm wondering what's up with it? It has a strange number of cores (4x7C enabled?) and not a hell of a lot of cache, but it's priced almost the same as a 7443P, though it has rather lower clocks. Does anyone have any experience with these...
  4. S

Cheapest, quietest, lowest power 40Gbe switch? (and preferably less than 55cm deep)

I've recently set up a 40Gb SAN at home as Covid keep oneself occupied therapy, but I've come to the conclusion that I als want to run parallel 40GBE. I have Mellanox MCX354A-QCBT cards which I'll flash to FCBT, ideally using one port for the SAN and the other for 40Gbe. I have a mellanox IS5022...
  5. S

Infiniband/opensm on Debian strange behaviour

I have an infiniband network providing a SAN to my workstation, debian 10 server (runs opensm), ubuntu 20.04 workstation. Without a partitions.conf file, everything works, ipoib pings fine, except that ibdiagnet gives an error message that the group speed is only 10Gb, while node speed is 40Gb...
  6. S

Infiniband noob with some routing issues

Hey all, I've been slowly working on a sort of covid-keep-oneself occupoed setup for my home network for a while, of which the scope eventually crept to a 40gbit infiniband network, which is working, in any case for what I originally intended, which is faster storage, both smb and nfs-rdma...
  7. S

Getting pfsense to utilize sr-iov infiniband virtual adapter

Hey All, Here's hoping I'm posting this in the right place, but as pfsense is freebsd based, I felt this was the closest category. As a keep-oneself-occupied through covid project I've been fiddling with my local network. All was originally instigated by annoyance with 1gbE transfer speeds and...
  8. S

EU Got everything, no longer WTB 3x 5m qsfp cable, 3x 20m qsfp cable, 2x cx354a pcie, ship to NL

As posted in the title I'm looking for gear to convert my home network to 40gbit. Main purpose is sharing storage over rdma, my internet connection is only 100mbit, so ipoib seems like it would be fine for that. Even the second line I'm considering would keep the combined bandwidth at max...
  9. S

Gaming from RDMA storage?

Hey all, I have been considering getting some EOL qfsp+ gear as my current 1gbe solution annoys me when copying large files around my home network. In the course of my investigations I was wondering whether anyone regularly games over nfs/rdma in a satisfactory way? As is customary for me, my...
  10. S

Has anyone done any mods to make a MicroTik CRS-312 more quiet?

Hey all, I'm considering ubgrading to 10Gbe at home. The CRS-312 seems to be the only option that is reasonably priced and has the ports I'd want. The reports on the noise it (sometimes) makes make me apprehensive though. I read somewhere someone put in noctua fans, but that they weren't always...