Search results

1. C

DIY DAS/NAS chassis based on 5x3.5" drive cages?

This would be awesome, I was looking into it a bit more as well and Dell's adapters seems to require a basic serial protocol to correctly emulate the native brick. I'm thinking about also have a UPS added to one of the "shelves" and with the number of outlets not as concerned about Wyse and...
  2. C

EXPIRED 4TB HGST SAS Hard Drives - $8

Exactly, recently looked up some Transformer G1 toys from 80s and $$$, always thought they were mechanical marvels. On of my favorite sayings, "the only difference between men and boys are the price of toys"
  3. C

Not yet, give it another 15-20 years. I'm starting to see 90s hardware selling for $$$ on vintage builds
  4. C

Exactly! Classic bathtub curve economics, things lose value due to age/features compared to new eventually bottoming out until it reaches "vintage" or "collector" status and suddenly rises again when nostalgia/emotions drive purchase decisions rather than functionality needs
  5. C

Read through your posts in in the 5070 thread, would love to see photos of your build and a write up if possible :D I'm currently leaning towards a cheap small rolling file cabinet, something like this and holding the drive cages in bottom drawer while top drawers would hold the compute nodes...
  6. C

Awesome! How do you trigger power on for the drive array in the old case/drive cages?
  7. C

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Strange indeed, yet many others reported 32GB config working for them
  8. C

Yes it does, I tried this cycle twice now
  9. C

Windows 10 IoT, just testing and exploring. For what it's worth even the POST and self test with Dell logo was noticably slower
  10. C

Grabbed 2 sticks of 16GB Crucial DDR4 2400 So-DiMMs, working with 32GB of RAM now :) Spoke too soon, while BIOS shows all 32GB, the system seems to slow to a crawl. Something funky going on, more work is needed
  11. C

My Customised SFF Home Server Build

Thanks! I found the same bracket but your metal one is so nice and figured I ask
  12. C

My Customised SFF Home Server Build

Beautiful build! I just finished my own Node304 recently as well. Any chance you can make more of those SSD mounts?
  13. C

Disclaimer: This is not a "why not just buy XYZ chassis that would fit your needs" thread, it's more of a hack/fun experiment and potentially lower power bills :) Current setup (125W with drives spun down, 190W drives running): Supermicro X9 C602 with 1x E5-2670 Xeon + 64GB RAM ESXi 6.7...
  14. C

Great Deals - expired deals on-going discussion

Agree, option 2 would allow the convo to continue while any new deals/updates can start a new thread in Great Deals (poster can choose to link to OG thread as reference)
  15. C

Option default case unfortunately happening less often than we'd all like
  16. C

I've noticed that many "active" threads in this subforum are often deals taken in past which have evolved into on-going discussions by members who got the deal. This causes the first page of the Great Deals to be cluttered with many threads that are not really "Deals". Suggestion: Option1...
  17. C

No indications at all, I searched the serviceTag on Dell and it shows expired 10/18/2023 so guessing these are newly decommissioned systems. I bought it from a local source on FB
  18. C

Agree with keeping this passive. If active cooling is needed, I'm considering taping the internal USB3 header port for 5v and getting some 5v fans, although it would be ironic as the chip is about 10W and most fans are around 1W (10% power budget increase!)
  19. C

Nope, it was on one of my bypassNRO attempts in Win10 setup. It appears to have gotten passed it and displayed a screen I've never seen before in the set-up flow. This screen showed an NBC logo and further text outlining 4 steps are left along the lines of downloading profile, installing apps...
  20. C

Interesting finds with my 5070 so far No EMMC at all, it did come with 256GB Micro m.2 SATA drive Unit appears to be formerly part of NBC at some point, even after fresh Win10 install I was unable to bypass network check during account setup and it attempted to "phone home" to complete setup...