Search results

1. KioskAdmin

XenForo 2 when do we get it?

Now that this is out and free to upgrade to, when do we get it? XenForo 2.0.0 & Add-ons Released
  2. KioskAdmin

New HGST SAS3 800G $380

These are $379 with lots sold New HGST SSD1600MR-HUSMR1680ASS201 800 GB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive | eBay Good deal since they're new.
  3. KioskAdmin

Misery loves company so is crypto done?

Biggest correction in a long time. Monero had been holding up ok but now it's in the toilet too. How's the rest of STH feeling?
  4. KioskAdmin

Light virtualization server now that cards are out

What are people getting for their next new servers? Xeon Silver 4108 4110 4112 4114 Xeon D 1541 Atom C3758 Xeon E3 1240 EPYC What's the top on your mind and why? I'm gonna be doing a personal build next months. I've gotta get my vision down now that there's so much more in the market today.
  5. KioskAdmin

Supermicro manual RAM speed setting

Hi STH, I saw in the Supermicro BIOS a RAM speed setting that is manual. I've only used Auto. When I clicked it, there's a list of speeds. Say I buy a Xeon Gold 6130 but I want to save tons of cash and use 2400 @ 2666 or 2667. The new DDR4 is crazy expensive. Same with EPYC Can I just set...
  6. KioskAdmin

Our mining competition, gulp

I didn't know altcoins had large operations like this Proposal - let's figure out what they're using Iceland for cheap power. They don't look to have traditional cold aisle containment. Hardware are those USB PCIe x1's?
  7. KioskAdmin

STH Crypto Miner Suggestion

Can we get like GPU colocation in the STH lab? A GTX 1080 Ti mining 100% pays $200 a month. Even if it cost me $150/mo to colo, that may be better than having to keep it in my house during the summer months when I need AC. Buy one, have it mine 3-4 months straight and hope that the ZEC profits...
  8. KioskAdmin

Linux Docker Host with FreeNAS network storage

Hey guys, I'm trying to do something that should be really easy. I want to use docker w/ FreeNAS network. I don't want to FreeNAS 10 docker in VM. That's janky. I want to have many docker Linux hosts and then use a FreeNAS server as backing. I read this Select a storage driver but it looks like...
  9. KioskAdmin

FreeNAS Interface Setup - What am I doing wrong?

So here's the rub. I wanted to add more interfaces to FreeNAS. When I go to network -- interfaces there's nothing but the interfaces are on the network -- network summary. I also want to put storage on its own vlan. I know 2017 I'm being progressive. When I tried using an unused NIC under...
  10. KioskAdmin

STH should have more of these types of posts

I clicked on this at StorageReview and I thought STH should run this type of articles Thinking Evergreen: Is Your Hardware Aging Faster Than Your Christmas Tree? | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews Get people at sponsors to write articles for you.
  11. KioskAdmin

Foreman - Ubuntu 16.04 - How to logon

I installed Foreman based on these forums. It took awhile but I have it working. There's a password field in provisioning for the Root password so I put a password in. The Ubuntu 16.04.1 image got installed. IPMI is showing a black console but I can start SSH to the machine. I'm running into an...
  12. KioskAdmin

Current gen HPE 1.92TB SSD DOPE! $420

Lookin' for a DOPE SSD? HPE 6gb SAS SSD. Looks like a SanDisk for $419 BIN HP 1.92TB SAS 6G MLC SFF 2.5" SSD (762770-003) Check that p/n HPE DOPE1920S5xnNMRI its a 3par drive. Tell me that's not funny. I also saw these two --- Dude but I want a Dell - CloudSpeed Eco Gen II for $510 OBO...
  13. KioskAdmin

Since when is STH a Pizza Shop?

During a research session for a client I was looking up new pizza technology. Somehow the search overlords sent me to STH? Editorial and Copyright Policies - ServeTheHome - Server and Workstation Reviews That last conflict seems out of place. Zume Pizza?
  14. KioskAdmin

Is there a popular STH member video game or one coming out?

I think it'd be cool if we had a STH clan or guild in some game. Is there anything everyone already plays or maybe one coming out? I saw Gears of War 4 comes out tonight. Maybe a Horde 3.0 STH squad? Civilization 6? https://www.amazon.com/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-VI-PC/dp/B01FEHJYUU/ comes out...
  15. KioskAdmin

QSFP+ to SFP+ Optics - Possible?

I'm sure this is a n00b question but there are plenty of QSFP+ to 4x SFP+ DACs on the market. I've seen a Mellanox 1x QSFP+ to 1x SFP+ DAC cable and an optics module each for sub $20. Is there a way to go from 1x QSFP+ to 4x SFP+ optics? SR okay/ preferable. I'm thinking of getting an Arista...
  16. KioskAdmin

Best way to find what NIC in Linux

We just inherited a machine with 16 network interfaces using dual/ quad port cards. It is a total pain to do ip a to find which NIC is which. Like we have mellanox cards with 2 ports each. How do I know which port is which and which is a mellanox instead of an Intel. Method right now: using...
  17. KioskAdmin

Win 10 Desktop Virtualization - Hyper-V or VirtualBox

VMware Desktop is out so I'm down to Hyper-V or VirtualBox as my virtualzation solution on my desktop. Is there any reason to go with one versus the other? Hyper-V I like that it's built-in. But a lot of things for Docker are built for VirtualBox not Hyper-V. I even tried downloading the...
  18. KioskAdmin

1.6TB SAS2 SSD (SanDisk 1606R) - $489

This one is a slower SSD, but might still be good if you've got a spinning disk array for some massive L2ARC. SanDisk Lightning LB1606R - 1.6TB SAS Solid State Drive - 2.5" 6Gbps $489 is a bargain even for a read optimized drive. Intel S3500's are like $700+
  19. KioskAdmin

1.6TB SAS3 SSD - $689

Looks like a HP branded PX03 SSD. HP 1.6 TB 12G SAS SFF SSD Enterprise Solid State Drive 750222-003 / 762263-B21 nice price at $689.
  20. KioskAdmin

800GB Intel 750 2.5in with cable - $550 obo

it's over $130 less than Newegg or Amazon so I'm thinking a good deal - Intel SSD SSDPE2MW800G4X1 750 Series 800GB 2.5inch PCE-Express 3.0 20nm MLC and with the cable too