Search results

1. W

Frustration with my server

I don't know if something busted the UEFI boot or changed the setting, but I found ... 1. UEFI 2. Windows Boot Manager ... as the boot order in the BIOS. Swapping them awoke Windows again.
  2. W

Frustration with my server

I bought a Tyan Transport SX TS65A-B8306 and it has been running Windows Server swimmingly for months. Today I pulled the riser out to try to install an old video card I had. I had an older video card that I had installed in the server weeks ago and was attempting to replaced it with a...
  3. W

Tyan Transport SX TS65-B8036 (B8036T65AV4E24HR) not booting

In case anybody else runs into something similar: "CMOS Reset" via unplugging and holding the Reset for 30 seconds didn't help any. Pulling the CMOS battery and then putting it back in did. One clue that it made a difference was that immediately upon power cord attachment the server started...
  4. W

Tyan Transport SX TS65-B8036 (B8036T65AV4E24HR) not booting

My new server just arrived. First boot seemed to work, took me to the Windows 10 OOBE. This is with a USB keyboard and USB mouse attached. I wanted to install Windows Server so powered off. I then burned the ISO to DVD on another machine, inserted my USB DVD drive, attached that to the new...
  5. W

Hyper-V and file server upgrade time

I'm a bit new to the rack side of things. How do you judge / get info on the noise factor when comparing options? Thanks.
  6. W

This might be an interesting candidate for a slightly different direction than I was originally thinking... Voracious Low-End Consolidation Tyan Transport CX GC68B8036-LE Review (servethehome.com) Something like... Rack @ 1U CPU: (A) AMD EPYC 7313P -- more cores, more idle consumption or...
  7. W

Same issue with Lenovo: I ran into the same frustration. :|
  8. W

Great info across the aboard, Evan. Thanks! Any recommendations on suppliers with useful configurators?
  9. W

Thanks for the input. Even for a reduced drive count (6?) I'm still looking for good options for suppliers that provide a viable 7003 option with PCIe4 drives. That doesn't fit intent. Larger number of drive means more for striping, mirroring, etc. redundancy and different pools, etc. As an...
  10. W

Greetings For a some years now I've been running a Hyper-V server at home for hobby and learning. It also serves as a file server. I use Storage Spaces so all the resiliency (mirroring, sometimes parity) is done in software not hardware. I plan to stick with Windows Server as that's what I...