Search results

1. D

Silent hard drive house - SATA cable length issues

Hi My harddrives are driving me crazy with all their noise so I wanted to build them a quiet box they can live in. I only have 6 harddrives so the plan was to buy some very long SATA cables that would go from my motherboard SATA connectors and into my new silent harddrive box. I went looking...
  2. D

Intel SSD 665p lost power loss protection?

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-ssd-665p-series-with-new-96-layer-qlc-nand-debut/ has a screenshot of ark.intel.com with "Intel SSD 665p Enhanced Power Loss Data Protection". However, when I go to Intel® SSD 665p Series (1.0TB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D3, QLC) Product Specifications it doesn't...
  3. D

X10SRL-F number of memory modules

Hello! We just ordered a dedicated server. dmidecode says the exact configuration is X10SRL-F E5-1650 v3 2x32GB DDR4 (M393A4K40BB0-CPB) Will it run slower with only 2 memory modules? I see that ark.intel.com lists E5-1650 v3 with "Max # of Memory Channels 4". In the Supermicro manual I could...
  4. D

ConnectX2 Digital Optical Monitoring

Hello Is it possible to do get info from the SFP+ with ConnectX2? (like this Re: Optics (SFP) monitoring on ixgbe and igbe — Linux Network Development) When I try with CX2 I get # ethtool --module-info eth2 Cannot get module EEPROM information: Input/output error dmesg: mlx4_core...
  5. D

Wha 40GbE cabling can go thru walls without leaving big holes?

HEllo I bought 2 ConnectX3 VPI 40GbE/IB cards and I would like to connect 2 computers in different rooms. What is the easiest way to do this without creating huge holes in my walls? The cheapest cables seems to be DAC @ ~$15, but I think it's impossible to detach the QSFP connector. Is it...
  6. D

EDAC errors

I received my HP DL380 G6 yesterday.In the kernel log there are lots of EDAC errors. I tried swapping the faulty one with one from the other processor. It still says "Status: DIMM is degraded" Does this mean the RAM is busted? Is there anything else I can try? Change some setting maybe. I tried...
  7. D

What features do I want from a switch?

I need a small gigabit switch with at least 8 ports (16+ would be nice for expansion). I know I need VLANs, but what other features do I need? Is jumboframes good? I didn't understand if I can use jumboframes and still connect to the internet thru the switch (since the internet would need...
  8. D

Gnodal back on eBay

I remember you guys liked this one. Not sure if it's a good deal - way too expensive for me. Gnodal GS4008 GX 10201 XX Layer 2 Ethernet TOR Switch 40 x 10GbE | eBay
  9. D

When will E5 CPUs and DDR3 become cheap?

I'm looking to buy a lowpower server with >=72GB ram for homelab use. Looking at eBay prices, L56xx seems to be the way to go. When I've bought hardware earlier, a new generation has usually popped out a few weeks later, so this time I thought I'd ask in advance. Will DDR3 soon plummet to DDR2...
  10. D

What exactly did I buy? (Mellanox PCIe card)

Dear forum Let me preface this by saying that I've never done any networking other than connecting my computer to the wall to get Internet. So I was reading about this supercool 10Gbe network stuff and decided to check out how much it was on eBay. I stumbled over an "Ethernet Adapter PCI-E...