Search results

1. Sniper_X

HGST 60 Bay (12Gbps) HDD Restrictions?

I registered two weeks ago and still have no replied from there. Emails have also gone unanswered :( I may have to call them
  2. Sniper_X

Exploring logical options for LSI 12Gb/SAS HBA's for high performance storage target...

For the record, I was able to capture the performance results of the Windows test PC using RAID0 created across 32 drives (the maximum a stripe or span can be in windows) using disk manager. Here is what I got... A Single instance of ATTO benchmark: Here is TWO instances of ATTO running at...
  3. Sniper_X

Exploring logical options for LSI 12Gb/SAS HBA's for high performance storage target...

Well, good question. I have only just turned this on in the last 48 hours and am in the initial stages of learning how to use it. I still need the WD tools to manage it, but have fired it up in a minimal way so far with impressive results. Regarding the 102's and also the other units you...
  4. Sniper_X

Only 1 JBOD or 1 server? The JBOD is VERY redundant internally, and can be zoned into virtual JBOD units. With so many drives, I had intended to split it up.
  5. Sniper_X

So, I just brought this unit online and I'm struggling to "talk" to it via the management interfaces. Appears to be REV A5 I also realize it's communicated to using SG3_TOOLS, and has no GUI or "simpler to use" interface. However, I just ran with what it did when powered up and I was able to...
  6. Sniper_X

I have purchased the LSI 9400-8e HBAs and installed them in a Windows 10 PC on running a gigabyte motherboard w/32Gb RAM. (It's my test system to flash cards and perform other testing) With both HBAs installed, flashed to the latest firmware and BIOS, all 4 cables installed to the WD Ultrastar...
  7. Sniper_X

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but was there any more progress on determining what happens with non HGST drives?
  8. Sniper_X

Latest SX6012 firmware?

Well, ok that’s a good question. However once I got it to work, I re-ram the image upgrade on the other partition to clobber the old OS out of both of the switches. I never took a note of it. I do recall that it was 3.6.???? But older than 8012 (latest). So, it wasn’t one of those situations...
  9. Sniper_X

Latest SX6012 firmware?

Nevermind. It took several attempts to get this switch to take the image, but I finally did it via the web interface, even though that failed with the MFA error.
  10. Sniper_X

Latest SX6012 firmware?

So, I'm back again to ask about a second sx6012 I have and I am attempting the image upgrade again after success on the one we initially spoke of here. Except this switch (which is same as the original one) refuses and says ONLY MFA are accepted. Attempting to IMAGE FETCH from the console...
  11. Sniper_X

Are EMC HDX4 cables the same as SFF-8644 cables....?

I am looking for high quality External HD Mini SAS 4x SFF-8644 to HD Mini SAS x4 SFF-8644 Cable. (3 meter) I found some "EMC 038-004-380-01 - 12G MINI-HDX4 TO MINI-HDX4 3M | Mini SAS HD 12G 3M" Cables. I know EMC would have excellent cables, so are these the same pinout as SFF-8644's?
  12. Sniper_X

Background Info: After a long delay, I am continuing my "InfiniBeast" project of building a super fast, (5GB+/sec) storage target. I am basing it on an Ultrastar Data60 Hybrid Storage Platform. Although I might change this plan, currently, the build will mimic/re-create the build-out outlined...
  13. Sniper_X

FW BUG?! LSI 9280-16i4e "Adapter at Baseport is not responding" but only when drives are plugged in!

I have tried several "should work fine" scenarios on a test rig with the 9260-8I and the 9280-16i4e in various combinations. Using Cachecade 2.0 drives (SATA and SAS). In all cases below, I would first remove all SSD caching from your VD's. Next, I would then delete all Cachecade drives and...
  14. Sniper_X

FW BUG?! LSI 9280-16i4e "Adapter at Baseport is not responding" but only when drives are plugged in!

Upon reboot - before I started to test if disconnecting the SSD's during flash prevented the halt, I saw new (bad) behavior. The Cache drives are still disconnected, and the POST process started. The spinning drives remain connected and are therefore enumerated by the card in POST. (100% scan...
  15. Sniper_X

After further testing, (between the 12.14 & 12.15 FW only) I have found that any flashing of this card using these two firmware versions, causes the Cachecade 2 drives to halt the heartbeat on the card. Doesn't matter what SSD's youre using (I tried three types - 1 pair of SAS and 2 other pairs...
  16. Sniper_X

New wrinkle found. On the card that I used MEGAREC to erase and reflash, the 12.14 FW I used wouldn't allow me to enter the Cachecade 2 trial key. (I wanted to test flashing 12.15 while cachecade 2 was in use like before) Nope. -Invalid key So, I googled a bit and found that one of the...
  17. Sniper_X

UPDATE ROOT CAUSE FOUND CARD RECOVERED ARRAY LOST - RECOVERED FROM BACKUP ROOT CAUSE To recap, I have a 65TB array running in RAID6 on a LSI/AVAGO/BROADCOM 9280-16i4e card. It was Cachecade 2 enabled - using 2 800gb HGST SAS SSD's (HUSMM8080ASS201) in RAID1 (Yes I know CC is only 512GB max...
  18. Sniper_X

How to unbrick a 9280-16i4e?

Wiping the and completely reflashing the card with Megarec in DOS (completely wiping it) brought it back to its factory IR (raid) state. I also found out what bricked it - but that will go into the thread I started regarding the original issue. >>THREAD HERE<<
  19. Sniper_X

I'm now on day two of trying to get this 9280-16i4e card back to operation. I have another that is fine, so I would be happy to extract the flash contents and write them to the problematic card. It seems that every time I find a utility (DOS or EFI), the utility doesn't work, or it doesn't see...
  20. Sniper_X

I have a firmware checksum - needs reflashing error at boot. I have seen unbricking walkthroughs for other cards, just haven't found one for the 9280-16i4e. Can someone asist with a pointer to a good step-by-step unbrick process?