Search results

1. S

Cases that have 16 drive bays?

I took a Dremel and cut a hole in top of one and bottom of another, fired up the mig and spot welded 2 cases together. 2 $20 cases with 9 5.25 bays. Using those with 4 of those 3bay to 4 3.5" converter thingys, 16 HDDs with a fan in front of them., and 2 5.25" ports open for more crazy...
  2. S

Seller Rating plugin for the forum?

Ha. I have no face waste/linked crap /whatever teenage profiles. Does that mean I couldn't still be a forum member of this got approved? If you want to hang out, drive your ass over and let's drink. If you want to call me , call the god damn phone, if I don't answer leave a message...
  3. S

cheapest motherboard + CPU with ECC for running freenas for doing backups?

<https://www.mail-archive.com/zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org/msg34358.html< God damn tapatalk won't paste the mother ****er right
  4. S

Do you install GUI on your Linux servers?

Sounds like a want more then a need. Services control, system monitoring, and file and folder administration can all be done at the command line. Man pages are your friend. Tab tab (on a recent system with correct shell environment variables configured ) lists all available commands on the...
  5. S

I've been wanting a bad ass dual 8 core system for zfs or mdadm parity crunching, with plex on top of that.... Maybe sammich luks encryption on top of btrfs or something.... Buuutttt, I keep getting free hand me downs,. Thats a fuzz better then the previous. Linux doesn't care what it runs...
  6. S

Wait, you must check things on the same server box with a browser? Isn't tcp/ip routeable? My Web server has a..... Web server.... 2nd box with gui with browser... Connects to the server to check things.... I can then ssh and edit configuration files, and once again, use gui client to...
  7. S

Myth as in myth TV? So does plex, I just use a box other then server itself to connect to plex and configure .
  8. S

Yah, I link the session file from the gui box with:Firefox so the non gui box with Wget can mimic the session and grab the url without user/pass authentication.
  9. S

Patrick, Wget downloads urls? I'm sure in the documentation it can use ssl too.
  10. S

Joe window manager is the lightest out there I think. Xfce or lxde is next. Yes there's remote desktop software. I used vnc back in the day. But the links I had to manage over we're stupid slow, and I needed to get things done instead of watching pictures. So ssh it was. I wrote alot of...
  11. S

Advice on building a home server.

I just moved from a amd 2.4ghz to a freebie dell board Intel duo 2 7300, 2.66 I didn't have driver headaches like the Microsoft world. I just swapped Motherboards, and everything booted and mounted. Raid arrays even assembled, uuid is a life saver! Running Debian, strictly mdadm box with...
  12. S

I did the biggest no no ever in data management. As you stated, after out of memory errors trying to resize, I did the unthinkable. Used dd and made an empty file, did some magic, and expanded swap space... Made a swap file on the file system I was trying to resize. So after growing...
  13. S

No one mentioned mdadm on a Linux flavor? Bare stripped Debian is my choice. Ubuntu is all kiddy pretty, and the scripts tailored around Ubuntu made some mdadm services not work right on boot. Make an array, make a filesystem, share it via nfs/samba/ftp/http/vpn/ipsec/whatever you need...
  14. S

need training *nix server for home...

I was in the same boat holding the other oar. I just didn't get too fancy. 8core, 64gb ram, and virtual box.
  15. S

Does SSD impact unzip speeds?

Try pigz It's coded for multicore setups unlike gzip. It'll give you idea if you're cpu is being the hold back, or at least affecting tests