Search results

1. F

Very slow ZFS RaidZ2 Performance on TrueNAS 12

To add to this, I created a RAIDZ of NVMe SSD's on the proxmox host and proceeded to move an lvm onto it. it started out nice and fast at about 700Mb/s a second, and then quickly trickled down to 60 Mb/s. Totally different disks with completely different connections. somethings gotta be off...
  2. F

Thanks for the input! the cooling concern here was the main thing that stood out to me, the cards did move from a 2U blade with super quick fans to a 4U with slower ones. I swapped out a row of fans for some higher cfm, and then also rested a 120mm over top the cards while testing. it doesn't...
  3. F

Running Fio directly on the VM proves only slightly better.
  4. F

You're certainly performing better than I! That at least gives me confidence that it's possible.
  5. F

Done and Done! It seems we're consistently hitting ~200MB/s write through this method. Sync is off, xattr=sa, LZ4. As you can see I didn't give it all the available horsepower (the host has other duties as well ofc), but I can bump it if needed.
  6. F

First of all. THANK YOU! The pool was already set to ashift=12, which is LUCKY because I had no idea and it already has a lot of data in place. phew. Block size has been settled to 128Kb, I just use it for too much everything to go too big or too small. so here we sit. I tried all the...
  7. F

To whom might be able to lend a hand here, I have a relatively new ZFS setup that I've recently moved into a new server and am experiencing far lower than expected performance. Admittedly I know very little of, and am new to the ZFS filesystem. My hardware setup is as follows: Proxmox...
  8. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

I like the idea of doing the RaidZ2 and a potential hot-spare. I think having one at the ready sounds like a good compromise on speed and safety, As for the usage, size, etc. The volume stores a mixture of data, primarily static data such as media (movies, pictures, etc), computer backups and VM...
  9. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

@Goose Would you rather go for two smaller RaidZ2 groups? or one larger RaidZ3 group? I will end up having 12 8Tb disks at my disposal, plus some SSD's for ZIL and SLOG. The server has a 10Gb NIC that I'd like to keep saturated, and I've realized that my initial plan of 2 groups of 6 disks in...
  10. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

Yeah i'm using rsync -av --progress. But i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be comparing. It's done around 6Tb in the past 24 hours. Since i'm doing real files. it's going nice and slow. still a good bit of "failed: structure needs cleaning (117)". I have it mounted as read only right now...
  11. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

Ohhkay, so it's basically just a mass checksum to compare changes. That's certainly useful! The amount of cronjobs i'm going to have in place..
  12. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

I'll have to look into md5deep, that's a new one to me. Not entirely certain how to employ it, but from what I've done over the past week or so, I can definitely attest to it taking a while! Even on the disks that were lent to me (brand new ironwolf pros), it took 10 hours at max speed to...
  13. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

at the moment all of this is being done on the work disks. the originals are shelved and away for now. I'm working to get the data off of the work disk array onto yet another batch of disks. I told my boss about the dilemma of not wanting to wipe my source disks for fear of acting too soon...
  14. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

TL;DR, I wish I knew more. But there's files, the raid was made in a degraded state. How should I re-add the final drive to prevent any further loss? I'm still getting "failed: Structure needs cleaning (117)" in various places as I attempt to pull the data off. If you know much about how to...
  15. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

Yeah.. it's so much fun! I have a small fan blowing across them, but I'll see about flipping them over here soon. As for the permutation method, I found that in your previous link and had it running for about 20 hours before I realized that it may never work. Issue is that it tries to mount...
  16. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

I missed this response. but Thank you so much for it, As of this morning I got all of the disks dd cloned to new ones for testing and whatnot. I've been following this post recover-raid-5-data-after-created-new-array-instead-of-re-using for any sort of guidance on what to do. I'm currently...
  17. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

I had the testdisk scans still going this morning, a couple of them completed, and mostly showed hundreds of EXT3/4 partitions, some HFS+ and then random everywhere else. as I mentioned in a previous (recent) comment, I got ahold of a full set of spare drives from my work, and have them all...
  18. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

I apologize for the post spam. this is what such things do to me. My employer lent me 9 8tb disks, and I started a dd clone today. it should take about 2-3 days to complete.
  19. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

Just a snippet of what i'm seeing so far on these drives, They all show similar data so far. They were all used as XFS, if memory serves properly, all but one or two were directly mounted to the raid without partitions, I believe the latest one was using a partition as I had learned this was...
  20. F

mdadm raid5 recovery

First off, Thank you for replying! From what I've read, it basically rewrites the first few kb, this was noticed immediately because it erased the superblock data on two of the drives (but not all three that were tested on it? strange.) Due to this, mdadm --examine rendered this on both of...