Search results

1. Y

Ryzen AM5 boards with IPMI

Is there a reliable source (within the US) for ASRock Rack motherboards (or other IPMI boards such as Gigabyte or Tyan)? There are dubious 3rd party sellers on Amazon or Newegg with high mark-up :(
  2. Y

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

I doubt anyone needs yet another option on this thread, but I decided against AliExpress in July and bought a Minisforum TH50 instead. It was $453 including California sales tax, arrived in next day from Amazon, with 16GB (soldered) RAM and 500GB Kingston NVME drive. Only 2x i225 network ports...
  3. Y

Dell R7525 Refresh CPUs?

Hi, Work has 6 of Dell R7525 with lower-end Rome (dual) CPUs. They're fine for now, and still under vendor warranty, but I'm wondering the practicality of eventually swapping the CPUs for higher core-count MilanX's? We'd prefer this done by a professional refurbisher than ourselves in-house in...
  4. Y

12V DC for Embedded Boards?

Oh there are plenty of boards ... finding them actually available for purchase is harder. I'm not looking to buy right now, possibly when the Ryzen 7000 series are shipping.
  5. Y

Still investigating options. I'd like to run several boards in parallel for a cluster. I like that Supermicro MB but too $$ for multiple. Looking at the manual they're different connectors but similar pinout (the cables 1029/1032 are included in the box but I can't find any more info on the...
  6. Y

Thanks! I looked at the photos & motherboard manual and think I understand, just need the 8-pin ATX12V1 with one side GND the other 12V? Do you also use the 4-pin ATX12V3 SATA power output to power the visible HDDs from the motherboard?
  7. Y

Suggestions needed for 5 node cluster

I don't have an answer - I've been looking with similar constraints (additionally interested in IPMI for remote management). Depends on what you're ready to compromise. There's obviously not a market for small servers. If you want the PCIe slot with 4 SATA you have to start with at least mITX...
  8. Y

Hi, Anyone have any experience with 12V DC in on embedded boards like the Supermicro or Asrock Rack Xeon Ds? I've been looking around but not found a consistent standard, there's 8 pin & 4 pin, appears they must not be mixed! (The two connectors are for compatibility with existing ATX...
  9. Y

EXPIRED Hyve "S-SKUD 2" - 1U, 8x LFF SATA6, 2x LGA 3647 Skylake-SP, 2x PCIe x16, 2x OCP PCIe x8 w/2x 25Gbps Connectx-4 installed - $149 + Shipping

Any opinions on relocating the motherboard to a different chassis? I don't have a rack, or lot of space, would like something shorter with larger (quieter) fans? Looks like the power supplies would be the biggest issue? Thx!
  10. Y

ASUS PN80 Mini PC

The manual shows the layout inc the mounting for the 2 x 2.5" drives. It's definitely interesting for homelab use, more so if there was a cheaper barebones SKU with the second Intel I225V NIC. At least it's currently in stock in the US!
  11. Y

ASUS PN80 Mini PC

Suggestion for your minipc series: the ASUS PN80. Main selling point is that it's a little larger (2.4L, 65W CPU) with integrated power supply. https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Desktops/Mini-PCs/PN-PB-series/Mini-PC-PN80/ Right now just a single SKU with 16GB RAM, 512GB NVME (pricey at $1.3K!)...
  12. Y

Server design for 12 memory channels per CPU?

Yes, current standard server is 2 sockets x 8 memory channels x 2 DIMM slots per channel = 32 slots. Genoa will be 48 following the same scaling? Will dual sockets move inline? 2U4N is going to be tight squeeze! Cheers, Y0s
  13. Y

Thanks, could you elaborate? I thought CXL ran over PCIe? Are you saying there will be 1xDIMM per memory channel and we'll switch to CXL for expansion?
  14. Y

Hi, Genoa will increase memory channels from 8 -> 12 (matching core count growth, disclosed in the recent AMD Financial Analyst Day). Current 2 socket x 16 DIMM slots already fill the width of standard 19" chassis (or 8 DIMMS per socket in 2U4N configurations). Where are the additional DIMM...
  15. Y

Hardware Failures in 2022 - Post yours!

Yeah, lesson learnt, though it's looking like we're just going to write off both expensive printers and use a printing service instead. The staff are asking for cloth posters for ease of transport.
  16. Y

Nvidia triples Virtual Compute Server (vCS) license cost

Hi, Just a tidbit that Nvidia tripled the license cost for Virtual Compute Server (vCS) on August 3, 2021 from $150 to $450 per annum per GPU. https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/design-visualization/solutions/resources/documents1/Virtual-GPU-Packaging-and-Licensing-Guide.pdf...
  17. Y

Hardware Failures in 2022 - Post yours!

Do enterprise printers count? Neither of our two HP DesignJet Z6200 42inch poster printers survived return-to-the office/restart of conferences, both exploding in literal red ink! I guess don't leave inkjets idle?
  18. Y

Ice Lake Xeon D release?

I would hope for Optane support (for future Ceph-Crimson)
  19. Y

Ice Lake Xeon D release?

Is there any update when Ice Lake Xeon D will be available? It seems to be perpetually delayed. It looks ideal for a cheap Ceph node? On a similar note any rumors on the replacement to the Dell PowerEdge R740xd2? Cheers!
  20. Y

NVLINK bridge use in datacenter?

Thanks, interesting comparison with today's Tyan pedestal server review!