Search results

1. The Gecko

This GoWin R86S Pro is an Everything Revolution with 25GbE and 2.5GbE

It looks to my untrained eye that the power supply is too small. The output is rated for 12V @ 3.0A, or 36W. Power consumption under full load at the socket (AC) was measured too be 45W. Note how there is no 'Efficiency Level ##' rating on the adapter. So if we were to assume a best-case 80%...
  2. The Gecko

Tiny PC review suggestion

Tom's Hardware recently dropped a product release announcement for a mini PC with a PCIe slot on top of the case, externally accessible, for use with any GPU of any size/width. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ryzen-9-7945hx3d-mini-itx-pc-puts-gpu-slot-on-top-of-the-case I see this product...
  3. The Gecko

Enable IB on CX314A-BCCT?

Is it possible to enable IB on the Mellanox ConnextX-3 Pro CX314A-BCCT? Or can I cross flash it to a CX354A-FCCT?
  4. The Gecko

Consumer PCIe Gen4 M.2 vs Enterprise U.2

Has anyone here tried using enterprise U.2 drives like the Intel P4510 as a desktop/gaming drive AND also used modern Gen4 M.2 drives? How do they compare for the purpose of gaming and desktop duty?
  5. The Gecko

High latency on SAS SSD

Ceph says the health is fine: root@cluster01:~# ceph -s cluster: id: 136076e3-08cb-4bc9-b438-708b9c83ea92 health: HEALTH_OK services: mon: 3 daemons, quorum cluster01,cluster02,cluster03 (age 25h) mgr: cluster01(active, since 25h), standbys: cluster02, cluster03...
  6. The Gecko

High latency on SAS SSD

I have a 12G SAS SSD with unusually high latency. I'm looking for ideas about what to fix. I've already tried swapping out cables and HBAs. I've also tried updating the firmware on the HBA. The high latency is visible in the Proxmxo Ceph OSD overview screen. Sometimes this value hovers at...
  7. The Gecko

CPU question about Supermicro NVMe backplane

FYI: Motherboard Manual
  8. The Gecko

CPU question about Supermicro NVMe backplane

Take a moment and look over this PDF: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/BPN-NVMe3-216N-S4.pdf It's an NVMe backplane that was designed to connect to 12 OCuLink cables. On page 2-3 (below), there is a description jumpers J26 & J27 to select how many drives are connected to which CPU...
  9. The Gecko

Windows Cluster Scale-Out File Server (SOFS) Status

This is a Windows question, but let me set the stage first... When I reboot a Ceph node, Proxmox provides a nice graphical representation of Ceph's rebuild/recovery status. This information lets me know when all data is fully synced and when I can reboot the next Proxmox node. Is there a...
  10. The Gecko

Storage Spaces Uneven Disk Idle Time

I'm a bit rushed for time, so I cannot post the code I used to create this setup. I'll return to add more details later. I had an opportunity to create a 3-node Windows Server 2022 failover cluster and host Storage Spaces Direct (SD2) upon it. All nodes were interconnected via dual ported...
  11. The Gecko

Power Supply vs BMC

Found it! Keep in mind this is an old BIOS from 2015, so the location and wording in your BIOS is almost certainly different than mine. AMI BIOS > Advanced > Chipset Configuration > PCH Configuration > Deep Sx Set to 'Disabled' == NICs stay awake while computer is off Set to 'Enabled in S4...
  12. The Gecko

Power Supply vs BMC

I've got an old Asus Z9PA-U8 motherboard with the optional ASUS ASMB6 management device installed. I was successfully using the BMC functionality up until I powered off the system, then the BMC stopped responding. I went over to the system, powered it up, and after a few seconds, the BMC...
  13. The Gecko

Power Connector Theories

Follow the Molex link above. Find the section talking about the venerable old 'AMP four-pin Mate-n-Lok', which we have all used. I can't believe this connector is still used today:
  14. The Gecko

Power Connector Theories

With the recent news about the burned/melted 12VHPWR connector on a RTX 4090, I started wondering why the industry continues to use (what looks to me as) variations upon the old Molex connector for newer, higher power uses. In my mind, Molex-style connectors have thin plastic walls and thin...
  15. The Gecko

Kolla Ansible OpenStack deployment help

I looked at the hosts file from one of the Kolla Ansible nodes. It meets the qualifications for the bug post you linked. I'll have to work up some new steps in my deployment instructions to reconfigure the hosts file, then try another deployment.
  16. The Gecko

I will absolutely look into this. Thank you. Also, I've decided to share my (broken) deployment steps in hope that someone could see where I was taking a wrong turn. It's posted here on GitHub.
  17. The Gecko

The disks are HGST Ultrastar He8 8TB 3.5" 128MB 7200RPM SAS. No errors are being thrown by the disks. I spent a lot of time inspecting them with the latest copy of Smartmontools. There's zero entries in any of the Event Logs indicating a problem with the disks or SAS controllers.
  18. The Gecko

I have a Windows 2016 server with 2x 2TB Intel P3700 SSDs + 36x 8TB Spinning Rust. They were configured as a tiered RAID6 using Storage Spaces (not Storage Spaces Direct) using code similar (but not exactly the same) to this: $ErrorActionPreference = "Stop"; $StoragePoolFriendlyName = 'Middle...
  19. The Gecko

I'm having an absolute bitch of a time standing up a multi-node lab deployment of Kolla Ansible OpenStack (KAO). All steps of deployment work great until the deployment step, which always fails at the same spot: "TASK [nova-cell : Waiting for nova-compute services to register themselves]"...
  20. The Gecko

Product Suggestion: Automotive Window Decal

Does STH make available high-quality vector images of their logo? I could go print my own...