Search results

1. R

FS: Dell Poweredge R620 parts, 15K, 3TB SAS HDDs, DDR3 ECC RAM, Dell/LSI RAID, monitors, freebies WTB: 4x 3.5" Dell caddies

What I switched to that I've been very happy with from The Server Store (I think I just emailed them): 4U Supermicro with no system board BPN-SAS2-846EL1 Backplane 2x PWS-920P-SQ Power supplies $399 plus shipping To that I added some misc cables and quieter fans, plus my Supermicro board...
  2. R

WTB: x8/x8 or x8/x16 PCIe riser cable

PCI-e Ribbon Cable & 90 Degree Adapter
  3. R

WTB: x8/x8 or x8/x16 PCIe riser cable

I think I have some that will work. I'm in VA, so depending where you're at they could get to you pretty quick. Will grab some pics here shortly.
  4. R

FS: Dell Poweredge R620 parts, 15K, 3TB SAS HDDs, DDR3 ECC RAM, Dell/LSI RAID, monitors, freebies WTB: 4x 3.5" Dell caddies

Yes to both. I have a mix of HGST and WD SATA drives that I've used in it. The SAS ports on the back take standard SFF-8088 cables that I've connected to various Supermicro SAS controllers and LSI cards. All 12 bays are ready to accept drives. Pretty much plug and play! Shouldn't be any...
  5. R

I have a Lenovo SA120 (12x3.5") that I'll be putting up for sale soon. Would that be of interest to you? I'm out in Leesburg area.
  6. R

[FS][US-FL] Supermicro Chassis 847E16 - 36 Bay - Fan Swap Mod - SQ PSU

I have a 4U 24-bay version of your setup. Everything you mentioned for making these units "livable" in your home is pretty much what I did for my unit (SQ power supplies are important). Nice units! Good deal for anyone who needs it. If the backplanes are like what's in mine, there's three ports...
  7. R

HP T730: $129.40 (shipped)

I'm able to get gigabit speeds up/down with my FiOS connection. Haven't tested with any kind of packet filtering, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better performing pfsense box for the price.
  8. R

I used a half-height Intel quad-port NIC. Works great. I have one port feeding my LAN, which then goes out to a Unifi PoE switch. WAN is another port on the NIC, and I'm leaving the single Ethernet port that's onboard as unused for now.
  9. R

Using one of these for pfsense. Works great!
  10. R

Supermicro X10SL7-F $63

That looks like a nice board, perfect for FreeNAS w/ 10Gb. Does the Ethernet interface have some type of IPMI interface on it?
  11. R

Supermicro X10SL7-F $63

Had the same experience. Guessing the seller realized they could raise their prices and decided to cancel the sales. They are good boards, but considering their age, I would go for something newer if prices go over $100. What's everyone use for boards to run FreeNAS? Onboard SAS is nice, but...
  12. R

Supermicro X10SL7-F $63

These are great boards. I've been running one for years now, hosting FreeNAS. It's been rock solid. Buying one myself, if nothing else just to have a backup board. Years ago I ran ESXi on this board, passing in the onboard SAS controller to a FreeNAS VM. Then had VM's for my other Plex-related...
  13. R

Sold: Supermicro Atom A1SRM-2758F board + 32GB (4x8GB) ECC

These are nice boards! Used one myself to host a pfSense VM for awhile, now a bunch of Docker containers.
  14. R

$350: Dell T40 w/ Xeon E-2224G, 8GB ECC, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW

Any thoughts on adding a GPU to this setup for additional transcoding horsepower? I'm currently running Plex as a VM on a Xeon D board, which sadly doesn't allow passthrough.
  15. R

Looking: 1U 8x3,5" HDD, 2PSU

I think you can get 8x2.5" at 1U, but I don't know if you have options for 8x3.5" - but 4x3.5" do exist. If you're testing ceph, I think you'd want to target SSDs and 10+Gb network, so 2.5" drives might be better anyway? 2x2.5" + 6x2.5" setups for OS + CEPH would be a good setup I'd think.
  16. R

SuperMicro SC846 questions

There's just one free Molex from the power supply, so if you need to connect 4 SATA drives then it's a 4-way splitter. I couldn't find any, so I took a two-way splitter and added two more SATA power connectors. The power connectors are the type where you press in the wire and clip on the back...
  17. R

SuperMicro SC846 questions

I just recently set up an 846, here's what I did: Purchased from ebay with 920SQ power supplies installed, they're very quiet Replaced the 3x80mm fans in the midwall with the 0074L4 fans, and the two backwall fans with 0104L4 Midwall fans aren't silent, but aren't annoying either - should be...
  18. R

Supermicro sas2 expander chassi firmware update

I've updated firmware on my HBAs several times over the years, but never on a backplane. My current expander is a BPN-SAS2-826EL1, would be interested to learn if there's a test/update I should perform on it.
  19. R

FS [US-MD] Lenovo SA120, RD450 Servers and other

I have an SA120, but it doesn't have the rear SSD cages/trays. Are you interested in selling those on their own? I live in VA.