Search results

1. M

Budget 1Gb pfSense build

How much RAM do you have in that box? Any other VMs or CTs running besides the firewall? I've got one on the way, with 8GB RAM. Wasn't sure if that was enough overhead for both the hypervisor and the firewall to run comfortably.
  2. M

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Managed to snag an M920q off ebay... should have it, the power supply (had to find that separately) and the riser card here next week. Now for a NIC card... Planning on putting Untangle on it (for now) ;)
  3. M

Inexpensive 4x 2.5GbE Fanless Router Firewall Box Review

Any thoughts as to running Untangle on something like this?
  4. M

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

I get that. But is there any listing or way to find the ones that *do* have that kind of expansion capability?
  5. M

This touches on something I've been curious about... is there an easy way to know/tell which of the "Tiny/Mini/Micro" boxen can be expanded like that? It seems like one of these would make a great bare metal platform for pfsense/opnsense, but the various Dell Optiplex's (7040 and similar) that...
  6. M

Question on nodes

Still very new to Proxmox, and getting going with using it for VMs on a 'souped-up' Dell OptiPlex 7060 Micro rather than on my laptop. Came across a deal on a 7040, and figured I'd snag it, and maybe explore having multiple nodes and HA on a small scale. How evenly matched in terms of specs...
  7. M

Any chance of a pic of one loaded up with TMM machines?
  8. M

Thinking about a TMM...

Okay... using the leads provided above (thanks @Evan and @Aluminat !) I think the terms I was looking for are 'USB PowerShare' (allows charging thru the port with the machine otherwise powered off) and 'USB Wake Support'. Looks like I may have to poke around in the BIOS a bit and see if the...
  9. M

Thinking about a TMM...

Kinda assumed that was the case there. Good to have confirmation So... do you think that is what the port with the "power on/off" symbol is? What does it do differently than the normal behavior of waking the device when you start poking the keyboard? Ah. Is it by chance a higher amp port...
  10. M

Thinking about a TMM...

So... got the wee lil' feller all plugged in and running updates. I noticed some additional markings on a few of the USB 3.0 ports... I'm curious if anyone might be able to shed some light on what they signify. Battery symbol? Power symbol?
  11. M

Awesome, thanks! Can't wait for my TMM box to get here ;)
  12. M

For the units that come with a Win10 Pro license... is there any way to virtualize that? Not sure if I've got the correct term... I'd like to run Linux - probably Proxmox - rather than Windows 10, for the base OS. But I don't want that Win10 Pro license to go to waste... I'd like to have it...
  13. M

Thinking about a TMM...

Kinda hard to do that buying used off eBay ;) Took the plunge, and grabbed a Dell Optiplex 7060 i5-8500T; should be here next week... so fingers crossed! Updating memory and SSD will be towards the end of the month after I get back from a trip.
  14. M

Thinking about a TMM...

Does the hardware (mobo) in TMM or NUC boxes generally support running Proxmox, with "IOMMU" aka PCI pass thru?
  15. M

Thinking about a TMM...

So... been looking at expanding the home network a bit this year. Probably going to get a small NAS (been a while), and also hoping to start self-hosting a few things. Anticipating very light usage - me, the wife, maybe a few family members around holidays, etc. Never attempted (yet) running...