Search results

1. D

Running Cat5e to the attic

Although the camera's themselves only need 100mb, my 4800G and cat5e are 1gb so I'm running 1gb capable lines to the attic but attaching to a 100mb device. I plan to have additional cat5e or pairs to support 1gb devices should the need arise in the future. Right now all I need is 2 POE 100mb...
  2. D

Appreciate all the feedback. I definitely plan on running extra cable to the attic for future needs. I was really debating on pulling up multiple cat5e's or going with a single 25 pair trunk. I already exposed the wall where needed, drilled 7/8 holes through beams/headers and ran a single...
  3. D

Couple of questions. I'm running Cat5e to the attic to support a couple of IP cameras which will be POE and mounted under the eave of the roof. The camera's are do not require 1gb so my thoughts were to run a couple of Cat5e's and split the 4 pairs for 2 100mb connections. So each cable will...
  4. D

Looking to build a firewall - recommendations?

Thanks for the guidance. I can see how I can setup a pivate vlan or DMZ between the IP cams and the zoneminder vm - but how do I plumb in the pfsense firewall for just the private VLAN? Do I need to add another 2 interfaces (in/out) on the pfsense box from the switch to a dedicated IP cam...
  5. D

I'm either going to pick up a 3com poe switch with 10g support or a planet without. I certainly don't need 10g but would be fun to setup. I'm leading towards the planet with it's advanced POE features like scheduled power recycle and power windows.
  6. D

Oops not my intention. 10G only for camera traffic to esx host. That line should be on a regular port. Otherwise am I planning correctly? Thanks
  7. D

Below is how I am envisioning setting up pfsense as a dedicated box. Am I missing any key concepts? Is pfsense in the right spot in the network? Thanks
  8. D

Appreciate all the feedback. Patrick it looks like the review you did above in you post would be great but was hoping to find something for around $150 all in (maybe that's not possible). My internet bandwidth is not crazy - we stream some movies from prime/hulu/netflix but only on one or two...
  9. D

Thanks for the reply. How does that R210 compare to an Atom 1U server in power and fan sound? I already have 2 servers in the rack - 1 Dell R710 (running my backups) and 1 Supermicro running vmware. I'm looking for something with low noise, reliable and ideally low power but I would sacrifice...
  10. D

I'm a novice slowly building out some equipment in my house and would like to add some security for my network. I have a couple of VM's accessible over the internet one of which is owncloud that I'd like to protect/harden. Is pfsense the way to go? I read about sophos as well and really not...
  11. D

Planet POE switch

Does anyone have experience with Planet POE switches - specifically for IP cameras? I'm finally getting around to building out my video surveillance setup and am looking for a POE switch that I can use for create a separate VLAN for the camera traffic. I like the scheduled power cycle...
  12. D

Linux web based photo manager

Thanks for this writeup on zenphoto. I agree on Piwgo - although it is real easy to use. Since my use is personal and not on the internet I ended up going with Lychee and use Lycheesync to keep lychee in sync with my and my wifes owncloud picture directories. Although there is no...
  13. D

POE switch for camera's

thanks all - I haven't picked out my camera's yet. So many options... I was hoping to get away with a managed POE switch for under $100 but I guess we'll see based on which camera. I'll report back once I sort that out. I didn't realize the different POE wattage standards, thank you for...
  14. D

POE switch for camera's

Hi - I'm starting to plan my video surveillance setup and will need a POE switch. I would like at least a 16port gigabit switch and prefer a 1U Rack mount to go into my rack. I know there are POE injectors but I'd prefer something a little more feature rich that is managed. Any thoughts on...
  15. D

VMware, battery backup and restart

I found my answer... Looks like once everything is shutdown orderly the cyberpower bbu will kill power to the server.
  16. D

VMware, battery backup and restart

Hi All - I've had a couple of power outages which crashed my Supermicro server running ESXi so I decided to add a cyberpower battery backup. The cyberpower software will allow me to initiate an orderly shutdown of all VM's if the power goes out. Hopefully there's a delay I can configure in the...
  17. D

Monitoring local drives - ESXi 5.5 Dell H310

Thanks for the reply. How would I create an alert if I lost a physical HDD? I guess no predictive analysis can be done? Is there a better HBA I can use that would provide more visibility to the HDD in raid group? Thank you
  18. D

I added the LSI vib and it looks like I have some storage information under ESXi. Still cannot access drive SMART data from esxcli. Can someone help me interrupter what I'm looking at? On one HBA I have 6 4TB drives in Raid10 and 2 SSD drives Raid1. Second HBA I have 2 SSD's in Raid1. Thank you.
  19. D

Hi all - I still haven't been successful in getting visibility to the physical drives for error reporting. I'm at a loss with this. Without drive monitoring I'm very hesitant to go all in with picutres, music, personal files, etc. Anyone have any ideas on how I can overcome this? Would...
  20. D

I installed 7.4 OMSA VIB and the Windows Admin client on my PC. I'm still not seeing the drives through the H310's. Under OMSA "Storage" I get "No controllers detected". If I go to OMSA "Main System Chasis" under "slots" I see both my HBA's listed as "MegaRAID SAS 2008 [Falcon]". Any idea...