Search results

1. K

2.5 Gbe Nic only getting 1.5 Gb/sec in Hyper-V Linux??

Apologies, I posted this in the wrong section. I have reposted in the Hyper-V area. Can a mod please delete this?
  2. K

2.5 Gbe Nic only getting 1.5 Gb/sec in Hyper-V Linux?

Hi, I have two computers, both with Realtek 2.5Gbe Nics. One is built into the motherboard of my Windows Pro server and the other is via USB3 on my iMac. They are connected via a Zyxel 2.5 Gbe switch. Using iperf3 on my iMac and Windows 10 Pro I consistently get about 2.3 Gb/sec, as I would...
  3. K

2.5 Gbe Nic only getting 1.5 Gb/sec in Hyper-V Linux??

Hi, I have two computers, both with Realtek 2.5Gbe Nics. One is built into the motherboard of my Windows Pro server and the other is via USB3 on my iMac. They are connected via a Zyxel 2.5 Gbe switch. Using iperf3 on my iMac and Windows 10 Pro I consistently get about 2.3 Gb/sec, as I would...
  4. K

Supermicro case (721TQ-250B2) with consumer (Asrock) motherboard

I thought I would update this thread just to capture my experiences so that they may be useful for other people in the future: 1. I saw on some Youtube videos that you shouldn't plug in the extra 4 pin CPU cable. Nonsense. Plug it in otherwise it wont boot. 2. Don't forget to buy CBL-0084L 3. I...
  5. K

Cheapest way to get Fibre into an iMac?

Thanks guys, I guess that answers my question that the two options I listed are what I need to choose from. As suggested elsewhere I think I will run both types of cable and use copper in the short term.
  6. K

Cheapest way to get Fibre into an iMac?

I'm very close to starting a little lockdown project to deploy some fibre in my house. This has been driven by two things: 1. the cat5e cable to my study only connects at 100Mbps (can't find anything wrong with it.) and 2. I have just bought a new NAS with 2.5 Gbe and a PICe that could host a...
  7. K

Thanks mmo. That’s a shame :-( not the end of the world as it will be in the cupboard but it would have been nice! Any idea about the power led?
  8. K

Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows 10 CPU: i3-10100 Motherboard: Asrock H470M-ITX/AC Chassis: Supermicro 721TQ-250B2 Drives: Kingston A2000 Boot + some 3.5 RAM: 1x 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (1x 16GB) 2666MHz Add-in Cards: Power Supply: 250W Supermicro Other Bits: I decided to...
  9. K

25Gbps over CAT6A?

Yeah it's strange @BoredSysadmin. I have about 16 of them and this is the only one that doesn't connect at 1Gbps. I have visually checked each end but perhaps a cheap tester would make sense! My only thought is that I have somehow damaged it in some recent renovation work I did.
  10. K

25Gbps over CAT6A?

Thanks @Tom5051 I actually was already having a look at fs.com already. Sorry, one last question. With copper cables you terminate them at a wall socket or patch panel and then have a separate patch cable to the computer/switch etc. With fibre it seems that each end plugs directly into the...
  11. K

25Gbps over CAT6A?

Hi @BackupProphet, thanks for your input. Sorry, my post should have said: "More expensive (short term) BUT will last longer".
  12. K

25Gbps over CAT6A?

Thanks, that makes more sense. I assumed that 25GBase-T existed, given CAT8 but now I understand. My iMac has no PCI slots so the Mellanox wouldn't work. I found some thunderbolt -> SFP+ boxes but they are expensive even at 10Gbe! So my options seem to be: Cheaper, short term is to run CAT6A...
  13. K

25Gbps over CAT6A?

Thanks @NablaSquaredG. You are probably right, but someone must have tried it! :) Maybe it's something for @Patrick to try in a video? I am considering fibre but it's all new to me... Question for you: I believe that fibre cables come pre-terminated with connectors, so even though the cable is...
  14. K

25Gbps over CAT6A?

Does anyone have any experience of running 25 or 40 Gbps over CAT6A? I know the standard doesn't officially support it but I am interested if it is possible. The reason for the question is that I have a new 10Gbps server arriving and have discovered that one of my buried 5e cable drops (to my...