Search results

1. E

Sanity Check: Advice on Next Server Steps

Thanks for the update. I'm tempted to follow this path - though expensive... What kind of SSD drives did you install?
  2. E

A question: doesn't this NVME use Oculink? I know the Oculink ports are capable of 4 SATA drives per - so are you losing two drives potential? Make up for it in speed?
  3. E

Yes, the optical drive model fits in the center. I had to grind the rivets down a bit before it would slide in, but it's an exact fit otherwise. I also built a USB header that I was planning to attach to the front, but never got around to it. The difference between the 83605 and 83608 is SAS2...
  4. E

To take back over MY thread, the new X11 Scaleable arrived this week. This first photo is of my current "second" server with a stable dual X9 motherboard inside. E-ATX boards do fit so well inside these 836 chassis, but server time marches on. I need to get a picture of my new X11 board in...
  5. E

FS [US-CO] - SuperMicro X11, X9, X8 Motherboards

I just did a major server upgrade, and have several motherboards available. All work without issue (with one noted exception). Local pickup preferred, but happy to arrange shipping in the U.S. for actual shipping price. Sold Supermicro X11SSH-F - $225 ___ Supermicro X9DRH-7F - $250 Dual...
  6. E

Thanks for your perspective, Pete. It makes absolute sense to keep my "production" server doing the important jobs, and use the second server for experimenting. Thanks for the links on the NVME drives. I've seen Google image search pictures of these, but great to have model numbers now. Is there...
  7. E

Thanks everyone. I've got a pretty good idea how I want to physically assemble the new machine, then I think I'll take a few months and play around - leave my "current" X9 server doing the jobs it has always done, while I explore the second chassis, compare Proxmox and ESXI, test VMs, etc...
  8. E

Like many homelabbers, I started my server journey with a three-generation-old, single processor system (with a Xeon E5 v1). I've run FreeNAS/TrueNAS exclusively and been happy. But I download and store a lot, enjoy trying new operating systems, and have added and reconfigured disks as I ran...
  9. E

SOLD: 3 x X11SPH-nCTF, Xeon Scalable CPUs

I just sent you a note, as well, in case you come across more or decide to part with the one you kept. Looking to upgrade from an X9.
  10. E

WTT [US-CO] Intel / Broadcom SFP+ Cards for...

I have not - would be happy to plug them in and run any requested commands. I don't have a spare cable to interface them, but can definitely check cards for presence, etc.
  11. E

I am definitely willing to work out a fair trade for both parties.
  12. E

I received an unopened box with several brand-new SFP+ cards during a datacenter cleanout. I've got four cards: an Intel X710 and three Broadcom - all Dell part numbers. As a home user, I would far prefer to upgrade my server from an X9 to a well-equipped X10 E5v4, or X11 Scalable setup...
  13. E

Supermicro 826 Chassis - $84 eBay

Thanks for all the feedback. They look old, but I figured everything would be the same inside. I didn't think there would be post differences. I watched that for several days, started a thread about the -48v. I'd anyone buys one, please update.
  14. E

Supermicro 826 Chassis - $84 eBay

I came across these last week. They currently have dual -48v power supplies, but they should swap out with a 110 PSU easily. $84 shipped is almost free. https://www.ebay.com/itm/134418348376
  15. E

-48v Chassis Conversion?

I've been looking for a SuperMicro 826 or 836 chassis - Ebay seems to be the best option - and I came across a chassis with redundanct -48v power supplies. I've done enough research to discover that they were popular in the telephone industry (because 48v isn't enough to kill a lineman). It's...
  16. E

FS: US - Lab Consolidation Sale

Asking questions...
  17. E

DELETE - Supermicro BKT-0051L-H LGA1151 Heatsink Mounting Bracket

Thank you. Then this thread is now defunct and I simply need to get a SNK-P0051AP4 .
  18. E

DELETE - Supermicro BKT-0051L-H LGA1151 Heatsink Mounting Bracket

Thanks for that! So the bottom mating surface is different between the two heat-sinks? From the pictures I'd found online, it looked like it was the exact same heatsink, and just a different mounting brackets. Got a picture or can you confirm? Thank you.