Search results

1. uOpt

Long-winded storage overthinking thread (chassis, mostly)

What would you do? Can't make up my mind. I need to add storage and the physical location question - what kind of enclosure - is killing me. Traditionally, my storage comes in three tiers: My main workstation has a 5-disk SATA frame for data the workstation works on. This functions very well...
  2. uOpt

LSI SAS2008 w/IT/JBOD displays disks in FreeBSD but not Linux

Short version: Can somebody who has a LSI SAS2008 or similar running in JBOD mode in Linux send me the output of the relevant `lsmod` parts, `dmesg` or whatever could help? Long version: I have this SAS2008. Its BIOS clearly says it has "IT" in the software, as in the name, there is no...
  3. uOpt

Want to borrow/rent/buy a Xeon E5 v1 LGA2011

I have a non-posting board with dual socket 2011 E5 v2s. I have no reason to rule out that the problem is that the BIOS has never been updated for v2. The sticker on what looks like the bios chip makes no sense and cannot directly represent the version number flashed. Board is a Supermicro...
  4. uOpt

New Toshiba drives

I knew I should have loaded up on the old 3-5 TB drives when I had a chance. Sigh. So apparently Toshiba moved and there is now a "X300" thing out there for the 5 TB drive. There is an external 6 TB which might be single drive, so maybe that's coming. The only review so far is minimum points...
  5. uOpt

HSF for dual socket LGA 2011

Bit of a puzzle here. I am using my otherwise well-loved Cooler Master Hyper 212. On my dual LGA 2011 board the following problem appears: - it has a fixed metal brace - CM gives you a couple of "extension screws" to adapt the smaller thread of their HSF holder to the bigger one in the board...
  6. uOpt

WTT: 1366 UP Xeon combo for something ECC reg or E5-2xxx v1/v2 CPU or SPARC 64 bit

I have a Supermicro 1366 combo with a Xeon W3580 (3.33GHz+turbo, 4 cores + hyperthreading) and 12 GB RAM (6 x 2 GB ECC unbuffered). Includes PEM heatsick/fan (pretty quiet). The board is a C7X58. Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | C7X58 The combo is currently...