Search results

1. uOpt

Apple Ignites the Industry with the M1 Pro and M1 Max

Too bad about USB-C charging, though.
  2. uOpt

Intel Alder Lake-S Home Server Plans?

As long as AMD has comparable segment solutions that support ECC memory that would be my choice.
  3. uOpt

Long-winded storage overthinking thread (chassis, mostly)

What would you do? Can't make up my mind. I need to add storage and the physical location question - what kind of enclosure - is killing me. Traditionally, my storage comes in three tiers: My main workstation has a 5-disk SATA frame for data the workstation works on. This functions very well...
  4. uOpt

LSI SAS2008 w/IT/JBOD displays disks in FreeBSD but not Linux

Well I needed the full block of lspci. But I have figured it out. I have my own kernel, a variant of 4.4.3 and got confused about mptsas, mpt2sas and mpt3sas, the middle one having been removed but aliased. Anyway: 02:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008...
  5. uOpt

Oh wait. Me dumb. `sudo lspci -v` the section for the LSI please? I think I am completely mislead by loading an incorrect driver but it outputting messages confusing me. And which kernel version do you have there?
  6. uOpt

To hardware RAID or not to hardware RAID (i.e. software)

I'm strongly in the software raid camp. Let's leave aside post-RAID like ZFS's which is more complicated but clearly not hardware raid. Let's stick with traditional raid that has no idea what the filesystem is doing, that has the raid hole etc. My reasons for liking software raid like Linux'...
  7. uOpt

Short version: Can somebody who has a LSI SAS2008 or similar running in JBOD mode in Linux send me the output of the relevant `lsmod` parts, `dmesg` or whatever could help? Long version: I have this SAS2008. Its BIOS clearly says it has "IT" in the software, as in the name, there is no...
  8. uOpt

Storage Server advice

A slow link between two large filesystems that you want to keep in sync is a prime use for sendfile/receivefile snapshots. ZFS does, I think BTRFS does, too. That would allow for very high frequencies of syncs without overloading either the link or the filesystem. If you used rsync instead you...
  9. uOpt

True or false? Graphics cards and rack mounted servers...

Might be pointless to have ECC RAM if you then use a NVidia GPU which does not.
  10. uOpt

Intel X520-DA1 prices have dropped!

Excuse my ignorance but given that these are not CAT6, why would I pick them over Infiniband?
  11. uOpt

Need guidance on what OS/storage solution to choose for my media server

I think the attractive solutions these days are: - Linux md + ext4fs. Only up to raid6. Very robust. No features - Linux md + btrfs. Maybe less robust in the FS layer but still robust in the raid layer. Adds snapshots and offline dedup. - Linux, FreeBSD or Solaris + ZFS. Theoretically better...
  12. uOpt

Need help picking out SuperMicro or others for ZFS NAS

I strongly feel smug about dual 1366 for ZFS. You will really appreciate large amounts of RAM. A platform with 12 or 18 RAM slots that all take registered RAM is cheap for 1366, as are CPUs, and you don't have to bother with extra special CPUs to get them cheap. The unusual amount of RAM...
  13. uOpt

Beware: Amazon Seagate drives sold by Platinum Micro

I use the Toshis, too. One out of 7 had minimal read errors at some point in a few years so I moved it to a secondary array. But after a full overwrite it never made a muck again over there.
  14. uOpt

Duno. ST3000DM001-9YN1 I'm not bothering with learning Seagateish anymore :)
  15. uOpt

I had another 3 TB fail with media errors this week. That's my last one. Good luck.
  16. uOpt

Mini PCI-e - mSATA Adapters

IIRC the adapter I got had a molex power connector. I dunno about the mSATA drive in particular but it wouldn't surprise me if it was able to operate at both voltages.
  17. uOpt

New Lsi SAS9200-8E pciex8 card - 6Gbps external X2 SFF-8088 $65.00

Thanks, Matrix! For the record I only bought one controller. Not being greedy here :)
  18. uOpt

FS: LGA1366 Motherboards & CPU's

Can you clarify what the PCIe slots are? Tyan's product page seems confused and doesn't match the visible number.
  19. uOpt

New Lsi SAS9200-8E pciex8 card - 6Gbps external X2 SFF-8088 $65.00

Any links for cables with external SAS on one side and SATA breakout on the other? Ordered one of the adapters. Thanks, OP!