Search results

1. T

Server Component Config Questions (Supermicro)

So the decision was effectively made for me. The 836BA-R920B direct connect backplane chassis was listed on Newegg for $200 less than the best price I could find for an 836BE16-R920B single expander chassis. So less expensive, higher (potential) throughput, and lower power consumption. Card...
  2. T

Ok, I'm laughing now because it finally all makes sense. I had assumed the limitation was 4 drives, but then learned that wasn't the case. The limitation being 4 lanes ties it up, that was the other part I was missing. So lower power and greater bandwidth at the expense of 15 more cables...
  3. T

Well, far be it from me to reach any solid conclusion given the points raised above (though I will have to make a purchase decision in the near future), however I received another reply from SM tech staff (a different person this time) who stated: "We are recommend customer using...
  4. T

Patrick's response: "I have never tried this, but the E16 in the chassis usually means it is an expander chassis. So one cable should do the trick." Well, I'd bet on you both being right. But I'll try to call them directly tomorrow to confirm. I much prefer written responses to questions...
  5. T

I see in the picture (and page) what you're talking about. And, after I had a chance to think about it, your conclusion makes sense to me. In fact I can't imagine it working any other way. So I thought I'd be smart and have SM confirm it... Q: "I would like to confirm the way your...
  6. T

Your input has been hugely helpful, thank you. "I think that you would be able to use one of your SFF-8643 ports to connect to an expander backplane and two of your SATA ports for the rear drives." And this one sentence, if I understand it correctly, makes me realize I've been misinterpreting...
  7. T

"SC836XXX-YYYY where XXX indicates the type of backplane used" - Which XXX corresponds to SAS2? Given the X10SRH-CLN4F motherboard has 10x SATA3 ports and 2x SFF-8643 connectors, and I'm going to use all 18 possible drives, does it then make sense to go with the SC836TQ chassis and use SFF-8643...
  8. T

Hi all. I’m yet another old IT guy building his first server. I’m planning on running Proxmox with the following VMs: 1) Mint, SnapRAID, Plex Media Server and the usual add-ons, to transcode video (from BD rips to youtube) to 5 devices simultaneously, plus act as a Samba share for 5 Windows...