Search results

1. renderpockets

IKEA Helmer custom cluster

Hi Jim, the project is available for purchase at RenderPockets.com | DIY Renderfarm It is 100% DIY project, so you just get the lasercut files and instructions manual.
  2. renderpockets

Any interest in Ceph articles?

Do you mean the built-in GPU like the i7 has? I only use the cpu power anyway, for GPU rendering I will need something like GTX Titan graphic card or GTX 980 Sli, the built-in cpu gpu is not good for my purpose. But is the 45W motherboard compatible with Titan Gpu?
  3. renderpockets

Those 45W are indeed great, I am also considering buying one for my rendering purposes, on the charts it looks like it is equivalent to the speed of i7-4790K (88W) which I use right now for rendering and it overheats like crazy! Also more than 16GB RAM for mini-ITX looks very appealing as well...
  4. renderpockets

Nice start! You have to rotate the right motherboard so that the port panel is at the front, that way you can fit the Pico-PSU. Like this: I do NOT recommend this type of config, because of very little room and bad air ventilation, I had to discontinue this setup, was getting 105C+ when on...
  5. renderpockets

Mini ITX Cluster Chassis

Shipped last week, will hear some word this week I hope.
  6. renderpockets

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Could very well happen, there are mobile workstation laptops with 45W processors and 4 dimms already, I have one of those :)
  7. renderpockets

Not heat issues with processors 65W and under, always stay 25c idle and 65c at full load on average. The problem is to find good low profile cpu cooler that can support +88W cpu, most of low profile cover up to 65W. Of-course I could replace the SFX psu with server psu and add extra 2 out take...
  8. renderpockets

I wish I could get my hands on that Xeon-D boards to try it out myself :D
  9. renderpockets

Got the mATX 32GB board up and running with the i7-4790K 88W (gets too hot! will switch to 4790S 65W) Still need to make a few more adjustments, so all the ports can be easily accessible without removing the side panel. Also, considering cutting out hole on the bottom for easy CPU cooler...
  10. renderpockets

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Sweet! would love to get my hands on one of those to try it out as a render node on mini-ITX board with 64GB ram!! processor cost seems reasonable at about $600, but I hope the mITX mobo will not be too pricey...
  11. renderpockets

Each node only needs 150W, so I got 300W PSU, but thanks for advice about airflow!
  12. renderpockets

Yes I was looking at that setup, unfortunately these mATX 2011 v3 boards are 244 x 244 in size, bigger than the drawer, will only fit inside helmer if the drawers are removed. Maybe sometime later I will do some new setup for these boards, it could be all placed on 1 aluminum plate i guess.
  13. renderpockets

There are 3 SATA connectors pointing up, these 3d guys need just 1 ssd drive connected to make a renderfarm so its not an issue. For server of course need more SATA connectors, so I think if I do make the cutouts for the rest of SATAs you will still need to use some type of 90 degree angled...
  14. renderpockets

Convert 1U to 3-4U?

Probably possible, mostly anything can be shrunk into smaller case, I just don't have any experience with disassembling switches. Wouldn't it be better to buy a new 1U switch instead?
  15. renderpockets

So many people were complaining about 16 GB mini-ITX limit, so after some search I found the perfectly sized microATX board that fits inside renderpocket case flawlessly and supports 32GB! Will assemble 1 node and post more pics soon:
  16. renderpockets

I don't think its possible to fit even 2 full ATX boards into 1 helmer... better to buy ATX tower case, but maybe mATX later on :)
  17. renderpockets

Yes it is just the enclosure, you can use the mini-itx board with 4 network ports, but ethernet cables will extend directly from MB to the gigabit switch, there will be no adapter in the back. hope it makes sense :)
  18. renderpockets

Thank you for very first purchase! I should give you an extra gift or something!
  19. renderpockets

Thanks all! Well its live now on Indiegogo!
  20. renderpockets

Available for pre-order on Feb. 15th, at Indiegogo!