Search results

1. H

A venting question... want to put rack in utility closet

Bought a new house and i'm getting it wired up. In my previous place we had an attached garage so I ran all the wires there and that was just fine for all my equipment. In our new place I'd *like* to put it in our utility closet or, failing that, in an under-the-stairs closet or maybe in my...
  2. H

At a crossroads...

My latest DIY is now several years old. Picked up a nice case off here with a few LSIs and was pretty happy while it was in my garage. I made one mistake and got a non-quicksync xeon-e3. It's been a good machine... did a bunch of docker experimentation (after a brief excursion with esxi). I'm...
  3. H

WTB: 1150 XEON w/QuickSync

I've got a server running an e3-1241v3 but I want to take advantage of the Plex hardware transcoding so I'd like to upgrade to a e3-???5 chip. Let me know if you've got one you're willing to sell. Sticking with the xeon line since I'm running ZFS w/ECC.
  4. H

New(?) Location for latest lsi2308 firmware?

I was advised to upgrade my HBA firmware to see if it helps with some expander flakiness I'm experiencing. When I went to find newer versions (i'm using 19.0.0.0-it from the supermicro site... this is for an x10-sl7) my search redirected me to Broadcom(/Avago??) but all i can find there are...
  5. H

Shell shocker: e5-2403 thinkserver

Seems like a decent deal. .. you decide Lenovo ThinkServer TD340 Tower Server System Intel Xeon E5-2403 v2 70B5001TUX
  6. H

Problems installing ESXI 5.5u2 under UEFI

Working under the assumption it would be better to install my hosting using UEFI, I started down this road of frustration (feel free to challenge that assumption as I was able to get it running under legacy BIOS just fine). I've tried using both the CD I used for my initial (bios-based) install...
  7. H

ESXi and *non*-ZFS fileserver reccos?

I'm leaning heavily against ZFS largely because I don't want to be "stuck" with needing to use all the same sized disks plus my workloads (home fileserver for storing media and desktop/laptop backups) don't really require the kind of "real time" raid support something like ZFS provides. I'm...
  8. H

Home Server Vacillation : L5520 vs e3-1231v3

After thinking about this for a few months, I'm still a bit torn about which of the above platforms I should base my new build on (replacing a Proliant I've outgrown speed and sizewise). I've seen some (largely thanks to tips from this forum... thanks!) SuperMicro systems with L5520's...