Search results

1. T

Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-16-XG SFP+ Compatibility Thread

I ordered a Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG, but I have not been able to test it yet due to cabling and optics. For now I would like to run 10g connections to 2 servers a workstation and at least 1Gb fiber connection to another switch that is 60-70ft away. More if LAGs or LACP is supported, but this...
  2. T

Ubiquiti Beta US-16-XG $299

Confused... Do the 10Gb copper ports not support 1GBe or is this a bug? All of the Ethernet products I've worked with have scaled back as needed and I guess I just assumed this work work. Every day I learn a bit more that makes this deal seem to be too good to be true. The 10Gb switch seemed...
  3. T

I received one of the beta 16-XG switches, but I'm just getting around to testing it. At this point what seems to be the most reliable route to connect Mellanox ConnectX3-EN NICs or Intel 82599 based NICs to the Ubiquiti switch?
  4. T

Can anyone comment on functional GBIC+ support for the released or beta model? Any luck in particular with Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN cards and passive 10g cables? Any other successes or failures? With a random mix of the cards and cables here something should work. Also interested in testing 10gb...
  5. T

Lenovo Thinkpad 40% off

Interesting. I checked Dell's site a few days ago and I couldn't seem to configure more than 8GB RAM for the new versions. Note that these are the i7-7500u vs the i7-6560u in the link above. I read other reports that the new models were only offered with 8GB as well. I just looked now and the...
  6. T

Lenovo Thinkpad 40% off

I'm a long time Thinkpad fan and I've been trying to find a new compact notebook for a while, but struggling to find everything I want. NVME support on the X1 Yoga is a big plus and the stylus and display also appear great, but I really wanted my next notebook to have Thunderbolt 3 support or at...
  7. T

Lenovo exFlash DIMM support outside of Lenovo X Systems

$165 with $13.20 in ebay bucks back and depending on how you account for it a fair amount more from credit card points/ sign up bonuses. It looks like in supported systems these can't be mixed in a memory channel with regular RDIMMs, so with only 1 device a few memory slots are lost. I can...
  8. T

Yeah, there I'm sure there is a reason these are so inexpensive. The bandwidth isn't spectacular but datasheets show latency in the usec range. With an BO listing at $245 for a 400GB drive and 8% back in ebay bucks I couldn't resist putting in an offer. NEW IBM LENOVO eXFlash 400GB DDR3 STORAGE...
  9. T

Does anyone here have experience with Lenovo exFlash DIMMs or know if they will work in servers other than Lenovo X series? Will they work in Lenovo systems that accept DDR3 RDIMMs? From what I can tell at release they are Diablo memory technology and were originally intended to only work with...
  10. T

ZeusRAM under $300 BO on Ebay

Good to hear that I was able to help someone get a deal. I have no idea what that seller is thinking with the multiple drive price. The cable I have that I believe should work with wide port is MIA. I had it when I ordered the ZeusRAM and it's around somewhere. I have a backplane that should...
  11. T

found several Micron p420m 700gb

That would depend a lot on your intended use. I suggest reading through some reviews. I've seen reviews quoting 3.3GB/s read bandwidth, but only 600MB/s write. On the other hand Micron quoting write latency as 13µs while Intel's NVME drives quote 20µs. Here is a datasheet. Also, the cheaper...
  12. T

T_Minus, Oy...That is expensive and a long time to wait. Is the MiniSAS to run on your 12g controllers? I'll look for that other thread. I have 4 SAS3 drives I wan't to run in wideport mode, so I may need to pick some of these up. I have a Dell 0T3F4V that seems like it would do the trick for...
  13. T

You rock T_Minus :) If you don't mind, what cabling did you get to test dual port? Also, I'm guessing you're hooking the ZeusRam to the same server. Would this technically not be Wideport, not dual port? This isn't a critique of you as I've said the same thing recently and even...
  14. T

Has anyone seen comparisons of the ZeusRam vs a P3600/P3700 (or similar) as ZIL? I'm tempted to pick up another ZeusRam, I feel the prices are plummeting and they aren't selling flying off the shelves for a reason. Yes, endurance of the Zeus is theoretically unlimited, but OP a P3700 down to...
  15. T

12g LSI controllers under $100

Kalleyomalley has treated me well and I'll definitely take a look.
  16. T

Advantages of E5-2400 series vs E5-2400 v2? E5-2450L vs E5-2407v2

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Maybe I'll get lucky enough to sell both 2407 V2, buy the 2450Ls for a fraction of what I made and in a year or two the cost of upgrading to faster V2s will be mostly covered by selling my current 2407V2s. Chances are I'll likely want to upgrade platforms to...
  17. T

Thank you sir! I've searched a few times and somehow missed that. It seems I need to do some research on wide port SAS3. For example, using wide port on the same controller (likely FreeBSD, the M1215 I just ordered, MPIO and cabling). This is for home use with a ZFS array, so no SLA's to worry...
  18. T

luannanxian, I stepped away while I was writing my last post and didn't see your's. There were a decent number of 400GB Lightning Ultra GenIIs under $250. I might have bought the last of the current stock though. With a bit of negotiating I picked up new drives below $200 :)
  19. T

This was a good deal as I'm having trouble finding a SAS3 HBA for under $200. Oddly, I can get an Intel SAS3 RAID Controller for $200, but I just want an HBA. Has anyone seen any more of these in the $100 range?
  20. T

If you are referring to the ZeusRAM, I believe you are correct that there have been no updates and with the NVME performance of good drives and various implementations of NVDIMM I don't think there will be an updated ZeusRAM. If you are referring to the Sandisk Lightning Ultra Gen II I can...