Search results

1. P

Thunderbolt 4 or USB4 PCIe expansion cards as HBA?

Hi all, I am wondering if TB4 or USB4 PCIe expansion cards can be used as some kind of HBA-alternative for external drive enclosure. TB4 and USB4 can transfer 32Gbps (4GB/s) payload (40G in total). Both can tunnel PCIe. This means, it could be possible to tunnel M.2 / U.2 / other PCIe drives...
  2. P

Can we please collect the state of Open Networking in the year 2023 please?

Not sure if this is the right place here for this question... but I think here are lot of professionals which can contribute. We are using Dell Enterprise SONiC distribution in relativ small, but complex network topology with a EVPN-VXLAN overlay topology on every switch. I am just wondering...
  3. P

What are the most efficient SFP+ 10GBASE-T tranceivers?

Topic says it all, but here is some more explanation. Most 10GBASE-T SFP+ tranceivers tend to get very hot, which means they consume a lot of power (cost) and they are not remommended for use in passiv cooled switches. Which are the most efficient tranceivers when it comes to power...
  4. P

I would like to upgrade from HDD to SSD pools. Please rate my plan

Hi all, this is my current setup, running with ESXi : Server-config 2020/2021 Current state | Wunschlisten Geizhals Deutschland I have a Napp-IT VM and the HBA and seven 10TB-drives in passthrough mode. A more detailed topic about this build can be found here...
  5. P

How to run PCIe-based storage devices with only one lane?

What I would like to do is unconventional and a idea to reduce cost for hardware, space and power consumption. Typically, a M.2 or U.2 drive uses four PCIe lanes. I would like to operate M.2 or U.2 drives with only one or two lanes per drive instead of four, so I can attache 16 NVME drives to a...
  6. P

Need recommendations for new HBA with 16 connectors (8 internal and 8 external) and U.2 vs U.3 standard

Hi all, i would like to upgrade the HBA of my virtualized ZFS-fileserver at home. At the moment, a Supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8i is doing its job with one pool build with 7x 3,5" HDDs in a RAID-Z2 Setup. I would like to keep this pool for cold data to allow the drives to spin down if not used, but...
  7. P

Open Network switches for home use?

Hi all, at work, we have Open Network switches (ONIE based) and i realy dont want to switch back to some proprietary switches. I am wondering if there are some smaller ONIE-Switches for home use? Something like 8x 10G Switches. I googled a bit but i cant find semi professional devices. A...
  8. P

IT-Mode with Broadcom 9400-8i8e PCIe-card ?

Hey all, just wondering if its possible to run Broadcom 9400-8i8e in IT-Mode? Its based on SAS3516 processor. If you take a look into the Datasheet of this cards here, you will notice that there is no JBOD mode listed in the table on page 3: https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/BC00-0448EN But...
  9. P

ESXi 7 - VLAN passthrough / Strange vNIC assignement behavior

Dear forum, I am running an ESXi7 installation (latest update 7.0.1c is installed). My first topic is: I installed a opnsense router/firewall in a guest VM. First, i tried to config this guest with three virtual NIC/vmxnet 3 adapters. The first vNIC is linked to a physical 1Gbit-Intel-NIC for...
  10. P

Intel Optane P4801X 100GB (U.2 or M.2, maybe with adapter) as ZFS log

I would like to buy a log device for my ZFS-filer, so the drive of choice should have power loss protection, high iops rate, low latency. I think Intel Optane P4801X series with 100GB is a good choice for my needs. This drives are available in U.2 and M.2. Does anybody have experiences with...
  11. P

Looking for help to choose the right HBA

Hello forum, i am running esxi and a ZFS-based NAS-system as guest on my new homeserver. I start to understand why it might be the better solution to install a extra HBA instead of using RDM with the onboard SATA-controllers. Would be very happy if you guys could help me to chose the right HBA...
  12. P

Whats the most comfortable way to unlock encrypted ZFS ?

Hey guys, i am planning to use a ZFS based file system in the near future. At the moment, i am testing TrueNas and Napp-IT (recommendations for other good ZFS-base NAS-OSs are warmly welcome :-) ). What i mentioned is, that unlocking of encrypted filesystems is not very comfortable. Is there...
  13. P

Yet another ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T build ( for ESXi and NAS-usage )

Hey guys, first of all, i want to say thanks to servethehome and hardwareluxx for theire reviews about this board. Also thanks to @Shadowsong for another thread about a x570d4u-2l2t-build (and of course thanks to all contributors). :) I also want to share my build, which is my first Homeserver...