Search results

1. P

UGREEN NASync

No, but this strongly depends on the NAS model and the CPU. The models with i5 have a 1235u on board. This CPU supports: Up to DDR5 4800 MT/s Up to DDR4 3200 MT/s Up to LPDDR5 5200 MT/s Up to LPDDR4x 4267 MT/s The CPU in the smaller systems are Intel Gold 8505 with Up to DDR5 4800 MT/s Up to...
  2. P

Thunderbolt 4 or USB4 PCIe expansion cards as HBA?

Hi all, I am wondering if TB4 or USB4 PCIe expansion cards can be used as some kind of HBA-alternative for external drive enclosure. TB4 and USB4 can transfer 32Gbps (4GB/s) payload (40G in total). Both can tunnel PCIe. This means, it could be possible to tunnel M.2 / U.2 / other PCIe drives...
  3. P

Can we please collect the state of Open Networking in the year 2023 please?

Not sure if this is the right place here for this question... but I think here are lot of professionals which can contribute. We are using Dell Enterprise SONiC distribution in relativ small, but complex network topology with a EVPN-VXLAN overlay topology on every switch. I am just wondering...
  4. P

What are the most efficient SFP+ 10GBASE-T tranceivers?

Topic says it all, but here is some more explanation. Most 10GBASE-T SFP+ tranceivers tend to get very hot, which means they consume a lot of power (cost) and they are not remommended for use in passiv cooled switches. Which are the most efficient tranceivers when it comes to power...
  5. P

Troubleshooting GPU passthrough ESXi 6.5

Hi all, I am new to this topic and I would like to get my iGPU of a AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G working in passthrough mode. I am using this CPU in a ASRock Rack x570D4U-2L2T mainboard. IOMMU is activated in the BIOS and this is the result: I have added all 7 0000:30:00.x devices to a test VM...
  6. P

I would like to upgrade from HDD to SSD pools. Please rate my plan

Oh, I see. Its U.2. I filtered for M.2 only. Thanks. @i386 Yes I know, but they are available in a alot of shops anyway.
  7. P

Did not know that there is a 7.68TB model. Its not listed in europe in public shops?! https://geizhals.eu/?cat=hdssd&xf=1035_Samsung%7E4643_Power-Loss+Protection%7E4832_3
  8. P

Haha, good point. I am just lazy, thats the reason why I write 2TB instead of 1.92TB. Because its nearly the same and I can never remember if its 1.92 :) I will pay attention in the future to prevent irritation ;)
  9. P

I have one PM983 2TB (previous model) in this system and I like it. All VMs are stored on this drive :) I understand that cooling is a main topic. Will have an eye on it. Whats enough CPU to serve 10G ? Do you think a Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G can do this job?
  10. P

Thanks @mrpasc ! Your tips are gold. I checked the compatibility list of the IcyDock and only one Raid controller from Highpoint is listed at the moment: HighPoint SSD7580 A and B. Bad, because I need a HBA. @CyklonDX Thanks for this advice, but I dont want to upgrade inplace, so everthing is...
  11. P

Hi all, this is my current setup, running with ESXi : Server-config 2020/2021 Current state | Wunschlisten Geizhals Deutschland I have a Napp-IT VM and the HBA and seven 10TB-drives in passthrough mode. A more detailed topic about this build can be found here...
  12. P

How to run PCIe-based storage devices with only one lane?

Now, that its clear that there is no "simple" solution, can we please discuss how its possible to add more than four NVMEs to a 9500-16e/i card (which can handle up to 32NVMEs) or up to aight NVMEs to a Rocket 1580 from Highpoint (which can handle up to aight NVME drives) in a consumerlike...
  13. P

Oh, realy? Didnt know that. Does that mean that there is no more physical PCIe x1 slot on 5.0 boards anymore? Or does this also mean, that its not possible to attache onboard chips like Audio, NIC, IPMI etc. with only one lane on 5.0 boards? Yes, of course. If I would buy a EPYC System, I...
  14. P

What I would like to do is unconventional and a idea to reduce cost for hardware, space and power consumption. Typically, a M.2 or U.2 drive uses four PCIe lanes. I would like to operate M.2 or U.2 drives with only one or two lanes per drive instead of four, so I can attache 16 NVME drives to a...
  15. P

Need recommendations for new HBA with 16 connectors (8 internal and 8 external) and U.2 vs U.3 standard

I think you missed the point where i wrote that my 8-port HBA is full and that i want to add some SSD drives which I cant right now. :) So, I need a new HBA one way or another. I will use the old 3008 for my backup storage system. Speed is not everything. Its also a question of flexibility...
  16. P

Need recommendations for new HBA with 16 connectors (8 internal and 8 external) and U.2 vs U.3 standard

Hi all, i would like to upgrade the HBA of my virtualized ZFS-fileserver at home. At the moment, a Supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8i is doing its job with one pool build with 7x 3,5" HDDs in a RAID-Z2 Setup. I would like to keep this pool for cold data to allow the drives to spin down if not used, but...
  17. P

Open Network switches for home use?

I am familiar with the Dell N3200 and S5200 series with OS10, OS6 and SONiC. These switches are equiped with BCM Trident 3 and are ONIE based. N1100 seems to be available with 1G and 10G Ports and its ONIE too, but i cant find any informations regarding the ASIC of these models. Do you know...
  18. P

Open Network switches for home use?

Hi all, at work, we have Open Network switches (ONIE based) and i realy dont want to switch back to some proprietary switches. I am wondering if there are some smaller ONIE-Switches for home use? Something like 8x 10G Switches. I googled a bit but i cant find semi professional devices. A...
  19. P

IT-Mode with Broadcom 9400-8i8e PCIe-card ?

Hey all, just wondering if its possible to run Broadcom 9400-8i8e in IT-Mode? Its based on SAS3516 processor. If you take a look into the Datasheet of this cards here, you will notice that there is no JBOD mode listed in the table on page 3: https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/BC00-0448EN But...
  20. P

ESXi 7 - VLAN passthrough / Strange vNIC assignement behavior

Sorry, i never tried to install ESXi on my APU. The goal was to use a opensense config which works in a ESXi-Guest-VM and my APU.