Search results

1. james23

Genoa ES CPUs + SM H13SSL bundles on ebay?

I've searched around and can't find much info in regards to the newest Genoa AMD Engineering Sample CPU's (and/or running AMD ES cpus on H13 boards) - Clearly the price is this low for a reason ($1950), as it's essentially the price of a non-es 9334 CPU ALONE , but also includes the H13...
  2. james23

sm H12SSL-i - stuck on PCI Enumeration only on warm reboot / restart (cold power up FINE)

I recently upgraded my daily desktop machine's H11 + 7262 (8c epyc gen2) to a h12SSL-i + 7302 (16c epyc gen2), w 4x ECC DDR4 hynx (is on supermicro QVL for BOTH boards) + a Quadro RTX 4000, and a Quadro p2000. (only disk of any kind attached is the boot drive, a p4800x 375gb optane U.2 nvme...
  3. james23

FS: 100gbit Dual-Port Supermicro AOC-S100G-M2C pcie Card (2-port 100GbE - 2x QSFP28)

100gbit Supermicro AOC-S100G-M2C 2-port 100GbE (2x QSFP28) asking $800 (edit: was asking $1,050 prior) (free usps priority shipping to USA) (update) Includes BOTH: Low Profile and Full height bracket (see photos) Brand new, pulled from a brand new SM server. i have it listed on ebay (...
  4. james23

rail - 1u SM (but full length pull out) (supermicro)

I have a few 1u supermicro servers (1u chassis = CSE-815 , is 1u and full length at ~24" in length/depth). I need the SM rail kit that allows me to slide the server all the way out (not just half way). I think these are my two , correct, options, however SM's site does not make clear which...
  5. james23

vSphere Hosts + NFS server - how to see which host/vm is doing disk IO?

I have a 4x host vmware vSphere setup (6.5u3) and a physical Freenas 11.2u7 server sharing multiple NFS datastores back to my vSphere/4x hosts. Ive been trying to figure out a way where i can see: Either: #1- which of the 4x hosts is generating disk IO on X nfs Datastore (or better yet): #2-...
  6. james23

Desktop Build- Supermicro board? (fan control) or asus ROG

Im starting to price out parts for a new workstation build as my primary/daily pc- Im ok with getting another (latest gen) asus ROG (republic of gamers) motherboard, while i dont do ANY gaming on this machine, i do like the build quality of these boards, and more importantly that they have...
  7. james23

adding nvme to X9 board via NVMe HBA (supermicro AOC-SLG3-4X4P )

so im kind of thinking out loud here, but i would really like to make use of some of the pcie lanes on my X9DR3-LN4F+ rev 1.20 , to run a few NVMe drives (u.2 2.5"). I know this board does not support pcie bifuracation, else this would be pretty easy! (ive read the threads where some...
  8. james23

1.6tb NVMe to use for L2ARC (zfs)? - have 256g ram

I try very hard to not cross post (ie make same post here as over at the freenas forums), but in this case i feel its important enough to break my "rule"- There is a different perspective/experience level over here on STH forums and i really wanted to get that input on this important question...
  9. james23

Setting all 24x switchports as tagged for 200 x VLANs?

Main Question: should I expect any performance hit from enabling 210x tagged VLANs on ALL 24x ports of a switch (or alternatively setting ALL 24x ports as trunk ports) background / equipment: We have a install with 10 x netgear 24-port switches, into which are plugged 200x ruckus 7372 access...
  10. james23

8TB Sun/hgst drive showing as 7.9TB (and not 8.0TB like others)

I have 7x 8tb HGST "he8" drives i had purchased from ebay. and then one 8tb SUN/HGST "he8" drive from ebay. I need to use them in a 8x disk vDEV to add to my existing pool, however the 8tb SUN/HGST "he8" is showing about 140gb less space. (thus if i use it in my new vDEV, i will be forced...
  11. james23

6.5 install to SSD , and now i have a "datastore1" ?

Ive actually never installed ESXi to anything *but* a USB stick / BOSS / SD card. Ofcouse i had one USB start to fail (not fully yet, but its getting there). So i decided to reinstall (6.5 u2 iso from my.vmware.com) but this time to a 80gb s3500 SSD i had laying around. all went great, but...
  12. james23

WTB: SM Rev B *inner* rails (only) or SM REV A *outer* rails only

looking to buy: SM Rev B *inner* rails (only) (ie the rails that attach to your actual server - as i have the outer rails, that clip to the rack, already). even if you have only 1x side of an inner rail , pls PM me In terms of the inner rails id like: Ideally the longer (more common)...
  13. james23

Dell SW Central MGMT ( Dell OpenManage Network Manager?)

Im looking for some SW /app to centrally manage (manage more so than monitor) a handful of dell switches (dell power connects). Prior to purchasing about 7x Power connect 7048p swtiches, i had read that one could use Dell's OpenManage Network Manager software to manage up to 10x Dell switches...
  14. james23

Memory Speed matters for ZFS? (and samsung -yh9Q2?? mem)

I'm aware of the general (limited) research and various opinions out there that: small bumps in memory speed do not equate too much real word performance gain (I'm referring to same generation, IE DDR3 1066 vs 1333 or vs 1600) I'm aware D3 vs. DDR4 *is* quite a real-world performance benefit...
  15. james23

ESXi boot disk failover / fallback (clone)?

I'm trying to come up with a way to have a manual failover esxi boot disk in case of USB stick failure or for when I perform esxi (minor or major) updates or rare configuration changes that may need to be rolled back. (ie for a standalone host(s) that i don't have easy physical access to) I...
  16. james23

4u 20bay 847el1 will NOT fit in a 4u 24bay (846el1)

i figured the answer to this was no, it wont fit- but i couldn't find any definitive answer on this, online. And the low cost of these 20bay BPN-SAS2-847el1 backplanes (~$30-$50!), was just too tempting to not try it out for myself. the 847el1 is actually the rear backplane on the sm 4u 36bay...
  17. james23

WTB: BPN-SAS2-846EL1 (or sas3 or EL2) (sm backplane)

if anyone is looking to sell one of these (BPN-SAS2-846EL1 , or similar, ie a supermicro 4u 24bay expander backplane) , pls reply or PM me. Am in the US thanks!
  18. james23

low idle power 3tb+ HDDs (ie 5400rpm) ?

either my STH searching skills are off today, or there really arent any threads exactly like this (so i figured i would post one). im looking for model #s on low power drives (idle draw mainly) , at 3 or 4tb size. (ill be looking to find them used, not new) - or if anyone has any drives, real...
  19. james23

New Rack question (am i crazy?)

Im far from very experienced with racks, ive delt with about 5 or 6 x different racks in my life, (3x currently / ongoing), so i know many others have much more "rack" experience than I. Im building a new setup for my home office, and i purchased this rack (and put it together today)...
  20. james23

2630L v2 vs 2620 v2 - What am i missing here?

Im trying to get the lowest power DP CPUs (only for @ idle , not at load) for my new Freenas system. e5-26xx v2 cpus are what i have to choose from. in my test setup over the past few months, I had been running 2x e5-2620 v2, thinking those were the lowest power consumptoion options when...