Search results

1. M

Will it work? Epyc 7F72 + 25 NVMe's

Databases = ram. A well designed database sits as much in ram as possible..
  2. M

OK to put a wireless printers on trusted "family" VLANs?

Print server is overkill and just add's overhead. I would block internet access for said printer, just manually update firmware once in a blue moon when they release them. Me, i tend to be over the top, so wireless, guest wifi, wired, same lan most people would use it from and if any guest...
  3. M

QFly 10Gbase-T Marvell AQC113 Adapter Mini Review

But as the comments note, do not buy it, the chipset was discontinued due to being flakey as heck. These cheap random name Chinese companies buy chipsets off the back of trucks basically, or massively discounted prices due to other makers having to offload them or what ever reason, either old...
  4. M

Server without obvious backup solution?

Completely understandable. Get it in a good place now, look to make better when possible. Sometimes it can be a good reason to push for a migration if management has to approve, is ease of backups and management, vs relying on other methods. Def as you noted, document all cron jobs, when they...
  5. M

Server without obvious backup solution?

First question for me is, does this "need" to be a physical server? Could it be migrated to existing virtual infra, if you have any?
  6. M

maximum raid5 stripes using an SFF-8088 (4 lanes) controller

You do not want that many drives in raid5, and use it for backups. Min raid 6 or raid 10. Or JBOD them and use ZFS in linux..?
  7. M

10gbase-t for asrock b365m-hdv

Had to use 10Base myself and no issues while doing basement renos...off a Brocade ICX using fs.com as the source for adapters. Just note OP - you wont saturate 10Gbps from likely any internet source. and you should be putting that 10Gbps link into a firewall / router not direct to your...
  8. M

Anyone done a Brocade 6610 fan mod?

Love this thread, as a new owner of a 6610, while it is in a maintenance room in my basement, I can hear it while in another room in the basement, so will be looking to do the top cover mod with some fans. Will post once I get around to it. I may though just go the route of an external fan power...
  9. M

Install on mirrored USB flash drives

TrueNAS has lots going on with reads and writes these days, it is not about speed, but usage, it can kill USB sticks quickly. https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/freenas-boot-device-on-usb.80687/#post-558944
  10. M

how to change names on server 2003

Agree to that ^ - changing the name of an account does not change it's SSID, which is what attackers would use anyways and the Admin always has the same default one across all systems. Create a new Admin account, and disable the built in one.
  11. M

Install on mirrored USB flash drives

No. Using USB drives as your boot drive for TrueNAS is no longer recommended or suggested. Sure you could do it as mrpasc noted but add in lots of backups and ways to be ready for when it fails... Why not just use your SATA ports, use a single SSD as your boot drive and if you need more port...
  12. M

It is actually best practice from a security standpoint to rename the "Administrator" account (often to "guest" and then disable it). it has no implications or adverse consequences these days from a clean install and most things related to AD all use the SSID anyways. If anything is set to run...
  13. M

Server Update Advice

As said, start new and clean. Backup your data, and nuke it all from orbit and start clean.
  14. M

Windows 2003? Curious why you are installing it?
  15. M

Docker multi host setup

Kuber is the way to go to orchestrate once you start growing....
  16. M

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I will confirm, this cable works fine if you need to buy one, i own it and use it often with my 6450 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076Z8RN5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  17. M

Thoughts on complete home network revamp Firewall/Switch/WiFi

I run PfSense in an HP SFF desktop with an intel x520 card in it, it has an i5-6500 and 8GB of ram with a 1TB SSD, and handles my 1Gb/1Gb fiber fine. That is an option for you. I did mount an 60mm fan on the X520 though to be sure it has air flow. I then got a Brocade ICX6450-24p for my...
  18. M

Need help choosing a Router for this large but simple network

pcengines if you can get one, but may not check all boxes. https://pcengines.ch/apu2.htm Personally, a lot of those amazon / aliexpress boxes I do question, often made by companies you can find no information on (while the parts may be known, not all in it are..., all built 100% in China, and...
  19. M

And not to mention there is zero reason or benefit even if they could with only a single provider as @hereforthecomeups911 you have no subnet or routes to advertise back to your ISP anyways. Would just add complexities and overhead.
  20. M

As noted, pfsense and a perimeter device in general has more options and more security and tools vs an L3 switch. Think of it more like they compliment each other and each have their strengths and weaknesses.