Search results

1. P

IBM Tape Backup System (TS3100) with LTO-4 Fiber Channel Connectivity

I just purchased a IBM TS3100 tape backup system from Ebay several days ago. The unit comes with a LTO-4 tape drive with 2 Fiber Channel connections. I need some advice on the setup and configuration of the unit. Here are some questions I have. Do I need a dedicated physical backup server...
  2. P

How to mount 2 SSD inside a Supermicro SC836 3U chassis

Hello, I have the old style Supermicro SC836 3U chassis and trying to figure out how to mount my 2 SSD boot drive (drives are mirrored) inside the chassis or where the DVD or floppy disk drive is mounted in the front. The old style does not have the capability to mount the 2 SSD drives in the...
  3. P

Switching to Cisco Enterprise Switches to Replace Juniper EX3300-24T Switches

Hello All, I want to replace my Juniper EX3300-24T switches with some Cisco Enterprise switches. The Cisco switches needs to be stackable, Layer 3 capable, and have at least 2 10G SFP+ uplink ports. If there are some older model Cisco switches out there that will meet the requirements I...
  4. P

What to do with 14 IBM HS23 BLADECENTER (7875AC) blades?

I was able to acquire 14 IBM HS23 BLADECENTER blades at a local auction at a very cheap price. The specs on the blades are 64GB RAM, 2 x E5-2650V2 2.60GHZ, NO HDD, and product code 7875-E8U. The blades seems to be brand new but I have no way of testing them. I don't know much about the IBM...
  5. P

Quanta T3048-LY2R Switch - Opinions please

I have an opportunity to purchase several of these switches brand new at an incredible price. Not sure if the switch is preloaded with Cumulus OS. This is for home use. I currently have several Juniper switches and the Quanta LB6M switch. What is your opinion on this switch?
  6. P

Help with Routed vlan interfaces (RVI) on Juniper EX3300 Switch

I am having some problems with getting routed Vlan interfaces (RVI) working on my Juniper switch. I have created Vlan 20 on both the Quanta and Juniper switch. On the Juniper switch, the RVI has been created with an IP address of 10.0.0.1/24. I have assigned the trunk interface ae0 to the RVI on...
  7. P

VLAN Routing Between Layer 3 and Layer 2 Switch

I am in the middle of implementing my new network design posted below. I am only implementing the core switch and internal LAN portion of the design right now. The DMZ portion is out of scope of this discussion. In the diagram posted, I have a core switch (LB6M) with vlan 1, 10, and 20...
  8. P

Router on a Stick -vs- Layer 3 Routing with Switch

I am a newbie to the world of networking; however, I have been educating myself by reading a lot of articles on the internet. I am in the process of redesigning my home network with the attempt to design it like a small business network with different VLANs on the local network as well as on the...
  9. P

Intel RES3FV288 - Dual linking to SAS3 HBA Controller

All, I just purchased the Intel RES3FV288 SAS3 expander. I have a SuperMicro motherboard with an onboard SAS 3oo8 HBA in which I have flashed to IT mode. I have both ports of the onboard SAS3 controller connected to the last 2 ports (F & G) on the Intel expander. Have I connected the SAS3...
  10. P

Dell PowerEdge R630 – Opinions on how to use it in my current setup at home

I am trying to figure out how to incorporate the Dell R630 in my current setup at home. This machine is a beast; however, it is so quiet. Here are the specs: Memory - 512GB DDR4 ECC Memory (16 32GB modules) CPUs – Two E5-2690 v3 2 Dell 300GB 10K SAS drives (I have the eight 2.5” hard drive...