Search results

1. N

GPU recommendation for mass text processing, summarizing and data analysis, serving API requests etc

I'm pretty new to AI and just started dabbling with LM Studio, Ollama, API's etc. I think I'm ready to start more complex things and was looking for GPU recommendations as well as model recommendations. I plan on doing large amounts of text processing as well as data analysis (large CSV and JSON...
  2. N

Does Anyone know if the Gigabyte MZ61-HD0 rev 1.1 can support 7002/7003 Epyc and PCI-E 4.0?

looks like on the site it says 7001 only, but I know with a lot of gigabyte stuff you can flash to later revisions. Anyone have any ideas?
  3. N

Need recommendation on NIC for ESXi 7+

So I've tried multiple ConnectX-3 40gbe cards on ESXi 6.7 and 7.0 and I can't get anything to run at anywhere near full speed. I've tried: -Directly attaching hosts to each other via fiber/copper qsfp cables -different drivers -flashing latest firmware -using esxi 6.7 and 7.0 -updating BIOS etc...
  4. N

Need switch recommendation(s)

I need a refurb 24 or 48-port switch and at least four 10gb SFP+ uplinks. I also need for it to be zero-config (aka brainless) setup and completely plug-and-play. I won't have physical access to the switch so it needs to be absolutely bulletproof. It also needs to be at most in the $100-150...
  5. N

HP r2600 gen10 (not plus) - compatible with gen10 plus nodes?

I'm looking at a 4-node epyc chassis - I heard these can be assembled relatively inexpensively but I'm trying to figure out if a xl225n gen10 plus node can work in a r2600 gen10 (non-plus) chassis?
  6. N

Actively cooled SmartNIC in a HP T740

So I'm looking at a T740 to replace my router. The case is obviously extremely cramped and I was looking for a NIC that has an active cooler on it instead of coming up with a Frankenstein cooling solution. Then I found some 25 gig Broadcom Smart NIC's that have active cooling and was wondering...
  7. N

ASUS RS500A AMD EPYC 9354P 384G /3.84TB nvme $6600 (takes offers)

I saw another post with 9000-series Epycs from Newegg in it; and then saw this and thought it was a good deal - seller is taking offers too so could be lower in theory. Would be great option for IT department looking for database server, app server, colo etc or someone who is not poor like me...
  8. N

H3C servers.....???

So I came across a server brand I'd never heard of. H3C is the name. Supposedly the company used to be 3COM and got gobbled up by HP? Anyway they're all coming from China via so I'm not sure. The form factor appears to look HP-ish? These are Epyc servers. Anyone ever heard of these and/or do...
  9. N

Security: Need advice on webserver pen testing tools, companies etc (and pen testing generally)

I'm asking for a friend (and for my own edification): My friend's webserver got hacked; the attacker has unfettered web root filesystem access (the server itself hasn't been compromised). I'm wondering if anyone knows of good web vulnerability scanners or tools/companies that can do...
  10. N

Anyone ever thought about using a mining motherboard as a poor-man's NVME storage array?

So there are tons of mining motherboards with 10+ PCI-E x1 slots out there on the super-cheap. There are also loads of enterprise-grade 22110 SSD's out there on the super-cheap. Most, if not all, of each of these are PCI-E 3.0 as I recall. Has anyone experimented with using, say, an Asus B250...
  11. N

HP FlexIO v2 2.5gbe NIC (for Elitedesk/tiny desktop etc) $20 shipped

If I had something that could take this I would be all over this thing. HP Flex IO V2 2.5GbE NIC M74416 RJ45 Ethernet Option Card L83414-002 | eBay
  12. N

Inspur YZCA-00622-101 what is it and can it be used in PCI-E x4?

As the title implies, can these be used to essentially run 4x nvme drives out of a single PCI-E x4 port? And does it have NVME RAID capability?
  13. N

Ryzen 2700u vs Ryzen 4650ge for a small virtualization build

I'm planning a small virtualization build for router and file share tasks. I plan to run all of my traffic through a VPN and may run large multi-threaded operations for work that require lots of connections. I'm thinking a 4650ge would be overkill even if it is power efficient. Curious what...
  14. N

Adapt a HP DL380 Gen10 NVME backplane to a standard ATX power supply?

So I just got done cutting holes in my case and that got me thinking. Would it be possible to adapt a HP DL380 Gen10 NVME backplane to a standard 4 pin ATX power cable? Or even 6 pin or SATA power? Also does anyone know of a resource for HP pinouts? That Russian pinout site doesn't appear to...
  15. N

smallest e-atx case with at least one 5.25" drive bay

I'm trying to get the smallest E-ATX Case I can with at least one 5.25" drive bay. Anyone have any ideas? I'd be willing to do cutting to make it fit.
  16. N

Dell BOSS card on non-Dell system?

Asked this in another forum (probably incorrectly). Anyone know if Dell BOSS cards (preferably NVME capable) are compatible with non-dell systems? I've got a Tyan s8030 I'd like to run with a BOSS-type RAID-1 card and don't want to stick a full-on hardware RAID controller in it.
  17. N

Dell BOSS cards on non-Dell (Tyan) motherboard?

Anyone know if the Dell BOSS cards will work on non-Dell systems? I've got a Tyan s8030. Looking for redundant boot and OS storage for VMWare. I'd prefer it be NVME.
  18. N

dedicated m.2 for TempDB in MS SQL Linux

Checking here if anyone knows of a small/cheap m.2 drive for dedicated tempdb work that would be faster (for TempDB work) than a Samsung 980 pro or the like? I looked at Optane stuff like H10/M10 but can't really tell if it'd be suited for this (I think not?). This doesn't need to be terribly...
  19. N

Epyc Rome - compatible with ECC DDR4 2400 or 2133?

I'm looking at using ECC DDR4 2400 with an Epyc - should this work? Or even 2133?
  20. N

[WTB] 64GB sticks of ECC DDR4

Looking for RAM for my Tyan S8030 board and I need single 64GB sticks. Looking for up to 8 depending on price. I'm in the US