Search results

1. B

NAS Build: Xeon vs. EPYC 3000 vs. Ryzen

Just stuff to think about: Asrock is real testy about ram and the ram being on their list. The actual specs required tend to be in the user guide, not the spec list. Also do a careful read of the slots on Asrock boards without epyc chipsets - like the x570. They tend to not implement...
  2. B

Fiber or Copper (noob) 10GBe

Thanks!
  3. B

Fiber or Copper (noob) 10GBe

Copper-background. No fiber until now. Cisco sx350x-8x with 10 copper ports all speed switch, 2 are either sfp+ -or- copper. Cisco has servers, backup and currently a 1G connection to the current 48 port switch. Every server has multiports of 10Ge copper with only one in use Distance of the...
  4. B

Hardware Failures in 2020 - Post yours!

Volunteered to help someone "fix" their camera security system. They had stuffed eight 10TB Iron wolf sata nas drives into the hot swap bays of a 12 year old Dell server with an elderly SAS controller, "upgraded" to run Windows Server 2012R2, with an old Xeon processor and 8 whole gigs of ram...
  5. B

AsrockRack x570d4i-2T

Works with 3700X. Crucial CT16G4WFD8266 matched pair.
  6. B

Advice for building server

Server 2016 Essentials is "special." It limits you to 25 users and has a ram limit of 64 GB. If you have any open Memory slots on the motherboard, you can probably still buy memory for it. You could certainly buy more disk. If you forecast getting larger, then it may be time to think about...
  7. B

Advice on NAS build for home

Hey Markness - thanks for that. I know that about ups units, but never connected it to power supplies. They used to be rated in watts as a default right? I noticed the change to VA but didn't change my own thought pattern to match...
  8. B

Actually, neither one needs m.2 cards at all. But since they're on a lot of motherboard, one may use them. I had to laugh at the power requirements spartacus stated, it was so familiar and yet didn't work out in real life. It was what I thought, what several different pc power estimators...
  9. B

Help me pick parts for a new computer

You might consider the Asrock B550 taichi. 3 lovely 4x3x16 pcie and 2 of the same stupid 3x1s that asrock luvs to put on it's boards. I hear you on the cooler. I'm using ecc ram - it's very tall, on a micro atx board. I used Noctua NH-U12S for AMD. It's fine with the ram installed, but I'd...
  10. B

SAMBA share via hostname not working in Windows 10

If you're a small site, it sounds overwhelming to run your own dns, but it's not too bad once you learn the terms. Windows stuff finds other windows stuff by asking around and listening to broadcasts. Some systems use netbios, some use ws-discovery and some pick it out of their own cache. DNS...
  11. B

Fractal node 804 has enough room for eight 3.5" and drives and is easier fit than itx. You need to contact fractal for new drive carriers if you get newer drives - sometimes they have only two screw positions. I believe Unraid needs an HBA controller. I KNOW TrueNas Core does. An ITX...
  12. B

TrueNas on Asrock Rack X470D4U2-2T - Heatsink for Intel 550 10G - How hot is too hot?

I should do something about this? If so what. This is in a modified Fractal S6 USB - not anything interesting, just removed the top and front, the radiator support (cause it's not using one) and the vertical decorative plate near the hard drives. It has AMD 3700X, 6 traditional hard drives(4...