Search results

1. B

How to make the most of a 1.15Gbps (Gig1) Virgin Media ISP

Noggin's recent post jogged my memory about this topic since it had completely slipped my mind after work got in the way shortly after I posted here last. I absolutely want to give this another go but I've got builders starting work on my house on Monday then I'm out of the country for a week...
  2. B

A quick status update: I managed to get my hands on a Mikrotik CRS312 switch since I found entering commands using MikroTik's console much more intuitive then navigating multi-tab GUI menus, but I burned up my allotted time and more at the weekend getting a DHCP client running on it. I was doing...
  3. B

Hi. I guess I lucked out with the person I spoke to in retentions. He said the only way to get a new hub was if the old one was faulty. I argued that the quality of my service had deteriorated since the firmware upgrade due to the loss of link aggregation. After this he said he had no way to...
  4. B

Step one of my plan is complete now - Virgin Media sent an engineer around earlier today and he installed a Hub 5 for me, which I've switched into modem mode (Yay!). So, at time of writing, the new Hub 5 is still connected to my router via the 'old' method which is good enough to keep things...
  5. B

Wow - thanks for taking the time to prepare such a detailed response! I'll take a proper look at this after work. I had a delve into the Zyxel's VLAN menu items last night and it does seem to have all of the necessary bells and whistles so I'll post my resulting config here if I get it working...
  6. B

Hi all. Like everyone else here, my previously stable 1.15Gb connection has been nerfed by VMs latest firmware update to the Hub 4. My previous contract is up so I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a Hub 5 as part of a retention deal, but I'm not holding my breath. On the off-chance that...
  7. B

It's good to hear you got it working.
  8. B

The ports that chris6237 used to set up the balance-rr trunks seemed to make a difference due to the design of the switch: "After setting up two "balance-rr" trunks as before (One across ether1 & ether6 and the other across ether2 & ether7) and making a more-or-less identical firewall config to...
  9. B

I'm pretty sure balance-rr is still working OK for me. I'm seeing traffic up and down across all four ports I've bonded. I'll run a speed test later once working from home traffic has died down here. Edit: still measuring over 1000Mbps here so all good.
  10. B

950Mbps is the maximum speed achievable via a single cable to a VM Superhub since its 4 LAN ports are gigabit only. Your friend would need to bond two or more ports (as above) to achieve speeds higher than this, assuming its possible on his Dream Machine. The next iteration of the hub will...
  11. B

That would definitely be a step in the right direction.
  12. B

Yeah - the upload/download speeds we get are pretty imbalanced. Hyperoptic are installing in our area (symmetric Gbit connection) but they seem to be concentrating on blocks of flats where they can recoup their costs quickly. I registered interest with them a couple of years ago but have heard...
  13. B

As a long time lurker I've often visited this thread in the past. I finally got my act together yesterday and replaced my Asus RT-AX5300 router with a Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ and 10GBE SFP+ transceiver. After a couple of minor teething issues I successfully got the new router to connect to my...