Search results

1. DavidWJohnston

Hearing protection for servers

Now I always use disposable foam earplugs, same as I use in my home metal shop. I've used the earmuff style of hearing protection, but I always ended up hitting them against objects, which ironically causes a very loud noise inside the earmuffs. Disposable earplugs are much better in my opinion.
  2. DavidWJohnston

NFSoRDMA random pauses in transfer

I run RDMA in Windows 11 and Server 2023 over SMB3 with Mellanox 50G/100G cards and Celestica DX010 switch, and I don't get dropouts, but there is a sudden speed reduction when the write cache on the target machine fills up when the target storage cannot handle the rate. I think the SMB protocol...
  3. DavidWJohnston

not all 2.5Gb switches from TP-Link are the same

Yeah I run one similar to this with 8x 10G SFP+. It works well. The SQ24701 are isolation transformers, to improve signal quality. The two chips under the heat sinks are the switch SoCs. It appears each one on the right does ports 1-4, and the left does 5-8 + the SFP+ port, and the chips are...
  4. DavidWJohnston

WD RED HDD failed, but can PCB replacement fix it?

It sounds like a mechanical issue rather than electronic, but it's hard to say. From your description it's probably not worth the soldering effort to try replacing the board, but that's your call. For sure try with a SATA-to-USB adapter before trying anything more drastic. It's a handy piece of...
  5. DavidWJohnston

Descriptor corrupt on every new disk

I don't know for sure - But maybe the datastore explorer file upload vs. vmdk/nvram have different I/O operations required, and for whatever reason those are being denied. When you say you can "follow the article to fix..." do you mean the VM then works normally after? If so, which article are...
  6. DavidWJohnston

Proxmox identify cause of poor performance in Dual Socket system

Yeah I'm not quite sure what's going on either. For some reason the system appears to be allocating memory to a process that's outside of its CPU's NUMA node. Maybe another benchmarking took would work better, or some parameters to make it better NUMA-aware. I think this is your manual...
  7. DavidWJohnston

Quanta LB6M Networking Issue, Access not working?

The console port is a serial port, not Ethernet. You need a Cisco-compatible RJ45 to serial adapter, then a Serial-to-USB adapter - There are also combined cables that are both in one. Try to get a PL2303-based adapter, I've had good success with those. I have a Quanta LB4M which is similar - I...
  8. DavidWJohnston

Proxmox identify cause of poor performance in Dual Socket system

This may have something to do with NUMA-awareness or lack thereof in either your workload or the benchmarking tool, or possibly non-ideal BIOS settings around NUMA. NUMA nodes group sockets/cores together with their fastest RAM. This can cause bottlenecks when one core needs to access memory...
  9. DavidWJohnston

Gateway / Firewall for Failover and LoadBalancing

I can think of a bit of a hacky way of doing it for free, if you're tech-savvy, it's not exactly a solution but maybe a workaround. You could create a VM or docker container that tests the speed of all your WANs by downloading tiny bits of data periodically in a loop or cron job and watches for...
  10. DavidWJohnston

I ****ed up the server

Strange error, here are my suggestions: I'm wondering if the UPI link mode (Inter-CPU interconnect) is wrong in the BIOS set by the previous owner. Perhaps it's hard-set to the wrong speed/frequency, instead of "Auto". If you install only one CPU, will this allow you to access the BIOS and...
  11. DavidWJohnston

Mellanox ConnectX 4 and Windows 11 and Server 2022 lots of problems :-(

If this helps: I run an MX4 single 100G (Branded as HPE 840QSFP28 but it's VEN_15B3&DEV_1013) in Win11 Pro WS in a Prime Z270-A, with RDMA (RoCE) and it works perfectly. I've never experienced the symptoms you describe. Details: Firmware: 12.28.2006 Driver: 3.0.25668.0 Driver Date: 2022-07-20...
  12. DavidWJohnston

Hoping to find a disk image of a WD DS6100/DS5100 Sentinel for the recovery partition

I don't have the image, but I installed one of these fresh with Win2016 years ago including the WD software. IIRC you can boot to an external DVD drive (maybe a thumb drive too), install Windows normally and F6 the RAID drivers in, then run the WD installers to get all the customization. I think...
  13. DavidWJohnston

Simple tunnel for incoming connections on dual-NATed network?

I'm an amateur operator and familiar with Echolink. It does indeed require UDP 5198 & 5199 inbound, except on the Android app, where EchoLink themselves proxy the traffic somehow. Given your requirements, a low-cost commercial VPN provider supporting port forwarding is probably the best. On the...
  14. DavidWJohnston

Got two Dell Z9100-ON switches, cant access them!

I used to own a Z9100. In Windows, I don't remember installing any drivers manually, potentially it was done automatically by Windows Update. Unless you're using WSUS or something, the driver should be available to you the same way. Once installed, you will see it in your Device Manager as a...
  15. DavidWJohnston

vCenter and RAM

@marv Thanks, yeah if I didn't have strange ES CPUs in my lab that's what I'd be using. Unfortunately, with my ES CPUs they have very unusual feature sets, and there is no "lowest common denominator" between all of my hosts. Even with the oldest generation, there are a couple of features...
  16. DavidWJohnston

pfSense box NIC question.

If your modem's NIC links at 1G, having > 1G won't do anything. If, on the other hand, your modem NIC links at > 1G, but your service package is 1G, then you might get a little more juice over and above 1G that you'd otherwise miss out on. When I had 1GB/940M fiber (Bell), the modem had a 10G...
  17. DavidWJohnston

Home network opnsense physical, virtual or clustered

Lots of good points. A little more detail about what's working for me: I run a 100G L3 switch which does inter-VLAN routing. My pfSense does Internet routing and lives inside ESXi, has only 1 trunked NIC, and can be migrated to any host, including mini PC low-power hosts. To save power, I can...
  18. DavidWJohnston

Home network opnsense physical, virtual or clustered

If other people rely on the network, what I would recommend is: Keep your ISP's modem/router/whatever default out-of-box experience as your home network. This way family members can call your ISP tech support, reset the modem, and get back up and running without you with the ISP's network and...
  19. DavidWJohnston

Proper tape backup software with file level restore

Retrospect can do bare-metal recovery but it is a bit of a pain to set up. You need to create a Win PE image with the right stuff in it, and deal with a bunch of caveats, but it is possible: https://www.retrospect.com/en/dr
  20. DavidWJohnston

Setting up Active Directory - woes and considerations

Yeah I understand what you're saying - Crossing stuff off the IT bucket list and experimenting with tech is why we're all here, I think everyone who reads this thread can relate to that! With WSUS, you do get automation. You can create groups, put your machines in groups, then approve updates...