Search results

1. K

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

$1700 after a $700 discount. Guess I'll wait another 5 years for a refurb.
  2. K

wifi-6 is not the same as 6ghz wifi band :p. I just haven't seen any devices that we can buy that uses wifi-6e and probably won't be at least a few years out until it gets adopted, like Vesalius pointed out.
  3. K

So... where can I buy a 6ghz wifi device o_O
  4. K

Xeon D-1700 vs D-2700 Ice Lake

These both have the same architect, but core for core, it looks like the D-1700 is faster and more power efficient. For example, compare the D-1736NT and D-2733NT, where both have the same 8c/16t and 15mb cache. D-2733 uses 19% more power (at least on paper), but is 29% slower base clock. Why...
  5. K

Hardware / Network Layout Recommendations, Emphasis on Redundancy

I would not depend on this microtik switch if it's running in a crucial environment for your business. It's popular because it's the cheapest 10gbe switch available, but it's known to have issues from the get-go. I would trust a used ICX6610 to last longer than that new microtik. Option 3 would...
  6. K

found my perfect HOME switch :)

Ruckus has 2 separate models for PoE injectors that's specific to 1g and multi gig: 902-0180-US00 (10/100/1000mbps) 902-1180-US00 (multigigabit) So I'm assuming not ALL 1g PoE injectors will be able to go higher. If any injectors do, then I think it might just be straight passthrough from the...
  7. K

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

ICX6450-48p. Same as your current one, but probably less power, so I'm not sure that's really an "upgrade"
  8. K

Suggestions for 4TB NVMe for VMs?

I use intel p4510 4tb for standalone esxi hosts, and 8tb for vSAN capacity tier. They're a good balance between capacity, performance, and cost for VM storage. You can find a used one on ebay with 98% endurance life remaining for about $400-500
  9. K

It's gonna cost ya :p $200 for the Aquantia Aqs-107 NBase-T module and another $100 for the ruckus multigig PoE+ injector
  10. K

I guess only time will tell. My first qnap product, still too new for me to have any other opinion other than it supports all my current devices in a single package without issues so far.
  11. K

Any suggestion on how I can test this? The single device would have to have wifi-6 and 4 internal antennas to max out the 2.5g of the AP. I have two macbook pros, but these wouldn't qualify (unless I use both to aggregate the speed).
  12. K

PoE+ switch with SFP+ suggestion for new house with Ethernet everywhere.

If you're willing to go with Prosumer hardware instead of used enterprise, then consider the QNAP QSW-M2116P-2T2S. It checks off almost every one of your requirements except redundant PSU and number of ports you use, which you can just add another ICX 7250-24 or 6450-24. I was in the almost...
  13. K

It's the QNAP QSW-M2116P-2T2S :D Let me start with the shortcomings. It costs 3x more than a good deal on popular used enterprise switches, it's only L2, and probably not as reliable. But the main selling point is that it has multigig 2.5g PoE+ and 10g PoE++ which is very hard to come by...
  14. K

Hardware / Network Layout Recommendations, Emphasis on Redundancy

You should be able to achieve this for a lot less than $2k if you're willing to buy used enterprise gear. OPNsense isn't too demanding for hardware. But just make sure your ISP provides at least 3 IP addresses for OPNsense high availability since you're using CARP. A pair of stacked ICX6610 is...
  15. K

largest SSD for NAS

I'm looking for recommendations for the largest SSD for a TrueNAS box. I do not have enough ports or pcie lanes for NVMe, so ideally SATA drives, and used enterprise ones. If all else fails, I'll pick up some Samsung 870 QVO 8TB ones.
  16. K

ICX7750 vs 7050QX vs SX6036

I may buy both 7050QX and SX6036 just to play around with. I'm accustomed to brocade's setup, but I'm ok with learning a new switch. Additional Q's: 1. My math may or may not be correct, but pcie 3.0 for x16 lanes should be able to support 16 GB/s (128gbps), so the dual 56 GbE ports from...
  17. K

RJ-45(1/10G) to QSFP+(40G)

Specs says that there's already a 1gbe ethernet port. But you can also just use a SFP to RJ-45 module for one of the other 12 SFP28 ports. Something like this: https://mikrotik.com/product/S-RJ01 edit: nevermind, from looking at pics, I think one ethernet port is for management, and the other...
  18. K

ICX7750 vs 7050QX vs SX6036

I currently have a 4 node vSAN cluster using all 4 QSFP ports on my ICX 6650 switch and need to expand. Below are the NICs I already have, and the switch I’m deciding between. How do these 3 switches compare, and which is best suited for my upgrade? (4x) MCX416A-BCAT (dual 56/50/40 gbe ports)...
  19. K

Yep, confirmed all optics works in the media converter but doesn’t for both switches. Maybe it is the interfaces. I’ll remove them for the WAN connections. I’ve had a different interface for each vLAN because I didn’t have a full understanding on using them. So interfaces are only useful for L3...
  20. K

Has anyone gotten fiber WAN to work with their switches? I must be doing something wrong. Fiber internet from ISP going into an untagged port vLAN 60 with interface v60, going out to an untagged port for pfsense VM doesn’t work for me. I’ve been through 3 different transceiver modules...