Search results

1. bilbo1337

20TB hard drive for $295

Hmm that is interesting. Only those two companies and a few others really seem to be selling 16tb+ drives.
  2. bilbo1337

20TB hard drive for $295

You say you have no proof then plug some ebay drive? Sketch
  3. bilbo1337

20TB hard drive for $295

https://serverpartdeals.com/collections/manufacturer-recertified-hdd/products/seagate-exos-x20-st20000nm007d-20tb-7-2k-rpm-sata-6gb-s-3-5-recertified-hard-drive Just under $15 a TB but they're refurbished. The new drives on other places are going for around $440 or so, with other models and...
  4. bilbo1337

NVME Micron 11TB 9200 Series ECO

Watch it have some funky firmware where after a few TB of writes it just shuts down. Heh..
  5. bilbo1337

Loosing hdd at random in my 24 disks server

I was just reading on another forum and it reminded me of this thread. It was talking about how if the HBA gets too hot then that can cause drop outs. Another thing I was just thinking about was allocation size, if the firmware is buggy then having it emulate to some strange sector size could be...
  6. bilbo1337

How much difference does a managed rack switch make in terms of latency for VDI compared to a basic unmanged switch?

Ok, thanks guys. I'm more into the storage side of things so this has been helpful!
  7. bilbo1337

WD Red Pro 18TB $299

Cheaper than the IronWolf Pro now, nice!
  8. bilbo1337

How much difference does a managed rack switch make in terms of latency for VDI compared to a basic unmanged switch?

Hmm. I was really hoping a switch that'd be DAC'd up would be fast. Right now I think everything's trying to communicate through my ISP's provided modem/router so I thought that'd be slowing everything down. Idk why LAN over motherboard isn't more common :/
  9. bilbo1337

I'm curious to know if it's worth it to upgrade from this super cheap netgear unmanaged 1GbE switch to a switch with some 10GbE SFP+ connections. From what I've been reading, SFP+ is way better than regular RJ-45, not even considering bandwidth but just latency. When I remote in to my server I...
  10. bilbo1337

FreeNas/TrueNas RDMA Support (FR for voting)

I'm trying to figure this out right now only because I found a super cheap $120 25GbE card that can do iSER. In TrueNAS's latest stable update, I still only see regular iSCSI with no options for RDMA. I feel like people would want something like this especially if they're using their system as a...
  11. bilbo1337

Loosing hdd at random in my 24 disks server

Could also need a firmware update. There might be a bug and it drops out.
  12. bilbo1337

Water Panther Expanse HDD showing up as EXOS NL 7200.7

What's up guys. I posted an SSD deal the other day of this brand but ended up getting this hard drive instead. It showed up the next day after ordering which was kinda crazy. Anyways, I wanted to update the firmware but Water Panther doesn't have any way to go about this. So I looked up the...
  13. bilbo1337

$699.99 for 7.68TB ($91/TB) U.2 2.5" NVMe Water Panther Expanse SAN SSD

I mean.. it's Amazon, so worst comes to worst even if it looks funny you can return basically anything lol
  14. bilbo1337

$699.99 for 7.68TB ($91/TB) U.2 2.5" NVMe Water Panther Expanse SAN SSD

Not much info in terms of specs but it has to be a somewhat newer NVMe spec at this capacity. Just at a price per GB standpoint, it's not bad at all. WP Expanse 7.68TB eNAND 512e PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe U.2 2.5-inch SSD | ECC PLP 1DWPD | Enterprise Data Center SAN Solid State Drive - WECP5S310768S...
  15. bilbo1337

This Changes Networking Intel IPU Hands-on with Big Spring Canyon

From what I understand, there's RoCE but also iWARP. With this IPU you'd need special switches and whatnot right since it doesn't support regular TCP? I wonder how NVMe-oF compares to iSER too.
  16. bilbo1337

I just upgraded to a Chelsio T6225-CR and don't know if I should set up iSER and if VST in ESXi could enable 25GbE "interconnect" on vLAN switch?

I've been using my onboard network ports on my server but happened to stumble upon a good deal for this converged NIC. It supports 25GbE but also 10GbE, I'm not sure if I do virtual switch tagging if my actual switch would just handle the trunking between the different vLANs and not actually...
  17. bilbo1337

Got a TrueNAS VM set up with HDDs mapped raw, it's working well but anything I should worry about?

Hmm, seems my iSCSI issue was because I had to tinker with the target. I guess dynamically it couldn't catch it in time or something
  18. bilbo1337

18TB Exos Renewed Hard Drive for $249.99

Just came across this deal. The 16TB refurbished drives were going for this price just a few months ago. At just under $14 per TB, it's pretty solid but it's also the cheapest $/TB drive in a 3.5 inch form factor out there right now it seems. Could be good if you only have 4 bays on a NAS I'd...
  19. bilbo1337

ESXi and x570 NVME RAID

I would imagine it'd work, the hypervisor would see it as one logical drive probably.