Search results

1. K

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

is it the PWM or FLX? How did you connect it to the board, isn’t it a different connector?
  2. K

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

I have a barebones Topton N5105 4x i226 on the way, in the chassis with trifork fins on three sides and a mount for a 40 mm fan on the bottom - should be arriving soon. That should be a v3 or v4 I think. I’d like to order what I need to get it up and running so I have once it gets here, couple...
  3. K

pfSense 2.4.1 and X553 NICs (C3758 SoC)

Unrelated to the issue of X553 support in pfSense as of 2.4.1, I just wanted to post my findings regarding the throughput issue in case anyone happens to experience a similar issue. Being unable to install pfSense bare metal on my server, I instead tried a different hypervisor: My broadband...
  4. K

Bummer. Thanks for the info. The only threads I could search up on the forums were from before 2.4 and I thought the adoption of FreeBSD 11.0 in 2.4 would enable it.
  5. K

Hi! Isn’t pfSense 2.4(.1) based on FreeBSD 11.0 supposed to work out of the box with X553 NICs? I’m running a A2SDi-8C-HLN4F (C3758 SoC) with 4 GbE ports. In my case pfSense does not detect any interfaces. I tried installing the driver manually but being a complete Unix noob this is an uphill...
  6. K

LSI 2308 / 3008 SMART passthrough / HDD spindown support

It was running IR firmware, I reflashed to IT firmware (P6) from Supermicro.
  7. K

Sorry about the late reply. I have the Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F mainboard which has a LSI 3008 controller. I think this is either the same or almost the same as the 9300-8i? I got spindown working on mine, by using the trick in the last post in this thread: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9211-8i on Windows...
  8. K

Supermicro noise levels

Very interesting. How did you fit the 92 mm fans in the system and how many were you able to install? I myself bought a 36-bay Supermicro chassis which has been up and running for a few weeks now. I also have a bunch of Noctua fans (80mm though) that I will try installing. I wanted to get a...
  9. K

Hi, Does anyone know if the LSI 2308 and/or 3008 supports SMART passthrough and/or HDD spindown (through the OS)? If it makes any difference, it would be connected to a SAS expander backplane (LSI expander chip on Supermicro backplane).
  10. K

Supermicro noise levels

It does, but I do see your point about less moving parts, lower power consumption and less heat to dissipate.
  11. K

Supermicro noise levels

If I go with a JBOD chassis then likely 847E1C-R1K28JBOD or 847E16-R1K28JBOD. I've considered a 846 24-bay build but decided that 24 bays is not going to be enough. That's why a 847 36-bay build would hit the sweet spot capacity wise, if it wasn't for the noise concerns. Following that, if I...
  12. K

Supermicro noise levels

Do you think the airflow with quiet fans (for example 7x Noctuas or similar) would be adequate if it only had to cool the drives and not motherboard, CPU, etc.? I'm thinking about going for a 4U JBOD chassis (44-45 bays) and putting the server itself in a seperate chassis. In the JBOD chassis...
  13. K

Supermicro noise levels

I'm sorry to hear that, were you able to return it? Supermicro do have SQ power supplies that I've heard are pretty good (not a lot of noise and very high efficiency), but it doesn't sound as if that would help you much. I'm a bit surprised that the fans are still that prominent going at 50...
  14. K

Supermicro noise levels

I'll be very interested to hear about your experiences with this chassis. Are you doing UP/DP? Active/passive CPU cooling?
  15. K

Supermicro noise levels

So it seems as though it should be possible to replace the 80 mm case fans with some quieter ones if necessary (edit: this is a SC847E1C 36-bay chassis I'm looking at). Maybe even modify the case to use fewer but larger 120 mm fans (I'm not sure if this is possible as I haven't seen the chassis...
  16. K

E3-1241v3 vs E5-1620v3

I see, thanks. Thanks for all your advice. I've pretty much decided to go the E5 route. I'm trying to get a little wiser with regards to noise levels, if anyone has any input on that it would be much appreciated - see this thread: Supermicro noise levels
  17. K

Supermicro noise levels

Sorry for reviving this relatively old thread, but I'm in somewhat of the same dilemma myself. I'm curious, jcl333 what did you end up with? I'm currently planning on building a SM storage server myself, and am trying to ascertain if I will be able to get noise down to an acceptable level...
  18. K

E3-1241v3 vs E5-1620v3

Btw, you mentioned DPC (8 for the E5), what's DPC?
  19. K

E3-1241v3 vs E5-1620v3

Absolutely :) I'd only need about 12-16 drive bays at the moment, but again I'm trying to plan for the future as much as possible :) Also, once you need more than 12 bays, you're looking at 4U and the added cost of 36 bays over 24 is manageable.