Search results

1. S

Recommend a motherboard with dual PCIe 5.0 x16 running at x16

I’m upgrading to 100gb with a recent purchase and after running SMF fiber to my office I’m wanting to add a 100gb card (minimum req of 50gb) but finding that my Asus ROG z690 Formula while it has 2x PCIe 5.0 x16 lanes it operates at x8/x8 and the PCIe 4.0 x16 lane operates at x4 Is there any...
  2. S

Process check for pulling fiber--some questions!

Hi all-- I've done some very minor pulls in the past and am now looking to run some new 6a and two 135' armored SMF cables. There are 4 existing drops there and it runs through a very clean crawl space and then up to a second floor attic then down an outside wall. The point where it runs up...
  3. S

Needing more 10gb ports on 6610–DAC or MTP approach?

I screwed that up and posted early. Here’s the context: I have a Brocade 6610 that I’m getting full on the 8x SFP+ ports so I’m thinking of utilizing the QSFP ports on the back for a 4x 10gb breakout. I’ve noticed there are DAC cables like below that seem to have transceivers already attached...
  4. S

What mini-pc to consider? A slightly backwards approach...

I'm looking to pickup a smaller form factor mini-pc to use for primarily generic desktop workloads. My main requirements are the ability to drive a minimum of 2x 4k monitors (ideally 3) and run a NVME drive(s). Normally those are pretty simple requirements and could be met by any number of...
  5. S

Determining the PDU of a Supermicro 846?

I have a CSE-846TQ-R900B and purchased a 920p-sq power supply. Brought the system up and the PS will power the mobo but will not turn on and throws a yellow light and reports as dead in IPMI. I understand there are versions of the PDU that do not work with the 920p-sq. According to the manual...
  6. S

Supermicro 846 and cable shortage

From one oversight to another! I have a SC 846(tq variant with replaced backplane) and I’m installing a x10dri-t4+ with dual xeons. I’ve bought upgraded power supplies (900sq’s for the noise factor) but I’ve found that the default cabling on the distribution unit is a 24-pin atx with a 4pin...
  7. S

Screwed Up Motherboard Purchase--SC846 and EE-ATX!

Finally getting around to putting together a new build based on the Supermicro 4u SC-846TQ and a Supermicro x10DRi-T4+ motherboard after getting all the parts and realized there's a difference between E-ATX and EE-ATX. I'm an idiot. There are stand off holes available to fit most of the...
  8. S

Recommend me a EE-ATX chassis

Got a little eBay happy and picked up a couple of Supermicro X10 motherboards on good deals to do some long overdue upgrades. One was an EE-ATX and I’ve since learned that’s not a common form factor. I’m looking for a chassis that will work and preferably something in a rack mount 2u/4u I...
  9. S

Need a CPU Cooler/Heatsink recommendation for an upgrade

Hi all-- I've been using STH as a resource for a long time but never had the need to register until now. I'm upgrading a really old, X3470 Supermicro X8 in a Norco 4220 chassis to a SM X10DRH-iT with dual e5-2680 v3's. I'm wondering if anyone has a solid recommendation on the route to go...