Search results

1. B

NVMe adapter for 4 drives

Does anyone know if you can buy a PCIe 3.0 x16 low profile card that supports FOUR M2 NVMe drives? I found this Supermicro card which supports TWO drives but I am looking for a card that supports FOUR drives...
  2. B

Virtualization Based Security (VBS) with vSphere 6.7

I've just upgraded to vSphere 6.7 Update 1 and one of the first things I wanted to start experimenting with is Virtualization Based Security (VBS) in my VMs. I have a Win2016 and Win2019 VM I have installed with hardware version 14 and VMware Tools 10338. Windows is patched with October 2018's...
  3. B

Turbo Bin

I've been reading the vSphere 6.5 Host Resources Deep Dive by Frank Denneman and have just finished reading the chapter on power management. In the chapter he talks about Intel Turbo Boost and Turbo Bins. The Turbo rates look like this for an E5-2450: 5/5/6/6/7/7/8/8 I currently have the...
  4. B

Shared storage ideas...vSphere 6.5

Hi All For a year I have been using a Windows box for my shared iSCSI storage using all flash (SATA) drives and 10Gb SFP+ for networking. I was using Starwinds Virtual SAN but since the license expired Starwinds won't renew it (even for a home lab). I've had so many issues with this setup that...
  5. B

PCIe slots on Supermicro X10SL7-F

I have a Supermicro X10SL7-F based server I use as my SAN. It has only two PCIe slots with the following specs: PCIe 2.0 x4 (in x8) - maximum speed 2000MB/s PCIe 3.0 x8 (in x16) - maximum speed 8000MB/s Currently I have a Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN dual port 10Gb SFP+ NIC plugged into the PCIe...
  6. B

Supermicro X10SL7-F LSI 2308 + RAID10 limit?

I'm currently using my Supermicro X10SL7-F based server as my SAN in my home lab. I currently have 4 Samsung SM863 480GB drives connected to the LSI 2308 SAS ports (with no RAID used). What I am planning on doing is buying another 4 Samsung SM863a drives and connecting them to the other 4 SAS...
  7. B

vSphere 6.5 encryption

Hi All I am interested in playing around with the encryption of VMs in my vSphere 6.5 lab but to do this I need a "Key Management Server" (KMS...not to be confused with Microsofts KMS server used to active their products). I found a python based KMS server but this only keeps the keys until...
  8. B

Storage Advice Needed for iSCSI

Hi All Currently I have two ESXi 6.5 hosts which both connect to a Windows Server 2016 machine which has Starwinds Virtual SAN installed and provides shared iSCSI storage to the two hosts. The problem is, whenever I reboot the SAN (the Starwinds server) I end up with the following issues...
  9. B

Upgrade of vCenter 6.0 to 6.5

Hi All Starting to feel real stupid with this one but today I decided to upgrade my vCenter 6.0 to 6.5 since Veeam 9.5 Update 1 is available and supports this new version of vSphere. Before starting the upgrade I ensured: 1) SSH was enabled on the vCSA 6.0 appliance 2) I set DRS on the...
  10. B

My vCenter 6.0 (appliance) just died

Hi All Been running my new vSphere 6.0 Update 2 environment on my two new Supermicro servers for 3 months now and its been great until...yesterday. Yesterday I was using/testing/learning Citrix Xendesktop 7.12 with MCS (Machine Creation Services) and it was going really well until late in the...
  11. B

vCenter shutdown with UPS

I have a two node vSphere 6 cluster which has HA enabled. One of the nodes is connected to a Cyberpower CP1500EPFCLCD UPS via USB. I have installed the PowerPanel Business Edition appliance on each node (one is the agent and the other is the client). I have also installed the Windows PowerPanel...
  12. B

iSCSI + MPIO + ESXi6

Sorry if this is a long post but I could use some help please :) I just passed my VCP6-DCV exam and as a result of that I purchased two of the following servers: Supermicro 5028D-TN4T Each server has 128GB of RAM and I also bought a Cisco SG300-28 managed gigiabit switch. I am using my...
  13. B

Supermicro X10SL7-F + Intel RST

I have two SSD drives that have been mirrored using the onboard Intel RAID. I have installed Windows Server 2016 on this mirrored volume. What I am battling with is, how do I install the Intel RST software to view the status of the RAID volume? I tried installing Intel RST 15.2.0.1020 (the...
  14. B

Netgear XS708T compatible SFP+ cables

Hi All Does anyone know if I can use the following cable: Cisco 3M SFP+ Cable 10Gb 37-0961-01 SFP-H10GB-CU3M with the Netgear XS708T switch and an Intel X520-DA2 NIC? Where I live the Netgear SFP+ cables are waaaay more than the Cisco cable so I was wondering if I could use this instead?
  15. B

VSAN storage help

Hi All I want to setup VSAN at home to teach myself more about the product and for my studies. Currently I have the following (single) server setup: Supermicro X10SL7-F 32GB RAM 1 x Samsung Pro 850 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD (cache) 2 x Samsung Pro 840 128GB SATA (capacity) 1 x Samsung Pro 830 256GB...
  16. B

New server build for ESXi (and maybe HyperV)

Hi All I'm currently running the following at home in my lab: Mobo: Supermicro X10SL7-F CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 Haswell RAM: 4 x 8GB DDR3 ECC 1600 (32GB in total) Case: Fractal Design Mini PSU: Seasonic 550W Drives: 2 x 128GB Samsung Pro 840 1 x 256GB Samsung Pro 830 1 x 512GB Samsung Pro...
  17. B

Supermicro X10SL7-F + ESXi 5.5 host build

Hi All I'm wanting to move my FreeBSD 10 email server over to Exchange 2013. I host everything at home. The current specs of my server are: Mobo: Supermicro X10SL7-F CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 Haswell RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.35V SSD: 2 x 128GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD PSU: 550W...